Will3x wrote:

old maps are the best.
Xho

Kanye West wrote:

No.

Will3x wrote:

old maps are the best.
brendanuhs
ppl only dislike old maps cuz they suck at reading. "badly timed" pfft. most are fine assuming 2009/2010+
GoldenWolf

brendanuhs wrote:

ppl only dislike old maps cuz they suck at reading. "badly timed" pfft. most are fine assuming 2009/2010+
maps from 2007/2009 can be mistimed by like 40-80ms, with random red line here and there as an attempt to fix the offset, so much that you can't even fix it yourself by changing your local offset, so yeah they're really badly timed
buny

GoldenWolf wrote:

brendanuhs wrote:

maps from 2007/2009 can be mistimed by like 40-80ms, with random red line here and there as an attempt to fix the offset, so much that you can't even fix it yourself by changing your local offset, so yeah they're really badly timed
they're usually offbeat with the most awkward flow too
TakuMii

GoldenWolf wrote:

brendanuhs wrote:

They can be, but there are a lot of old maps that give players lots of 100s only because they're difficult to read or have a high OD.
GoldenWolf
High OD? Although a lot of recent maps are OD7, there are quite a fairly amount of OD8/9 maps too
Same for the difficulty of reading, take any skystar map and tada

people don't like the low AR nor how "simple" the maps were
Topic Starter
mad Lou
Why are some of them mistimed? Was there another edit-system which it made more difficult to time? It seems that they sometimes aren't bad timed, but they have an offset.
GoldenWolf
There was too few people decent at timing back then

And a wrong offset is also a mistiming
TakuMii
But wrong offset is easy to fix
nrl
Most of the old maps I've played just aren't very good in general - bad timing, awkward patterns, weird AR/CS, etc. There are some great old maps, obviously, but there are far more really terrible maps than there are nowadays.
TakuMii
The 'awkward' patterns is what I meant by "hard to read". Combine them with the low AR that most of them have, and most modern players just cringe at the sight of the maps.
Mappers back then didn't have the advanced tools that we have today, so they had to seek other ways of adding difficulty to their maps. And the "bad timing" that everyone seems to complain about is just the AR and patterns making them difficult to read, as well as the higher hitcircle-to-slider ratio, causing the player to be less accurate even if the map is timed well.
There are badly timed maps though, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that a lot of the maps (take DJPop's and James' maps, for example) can be timed well and still give the player troubles with accuracy.
GoldenWolf

YayMii wrote:

And the "bad timing" that everyone seems to complain about is just the AR and patterns making them difficult to read.
No, these old maps are just bad timed, as I said sometimes off by more than 80ms (which is more than the entire OD0 window to get a 300)

An example would be something like this, iirc it's roughly +40 at the beginning, then +80 somewhere at the middle and then -20 at the end, and there are a lot of maps mistimed as fark like this one

Of course I'm not saying they're all mistimed, and newer players aren't used to low AR, nor to the OD being equal to the AR so they get low acc and call them "mistimed" because of that. There are still way more mistimed maps in the past than nicely timed maps.
TakuMii

GoldenWolf wrote:

No, these old maps are just bad timed, as I said sometimes off by more than 80ms (which is more than the entire OD0 window to get a 300)

YayMii wrote:

There are badly timed maps though, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that a lot of the maps (take DJPop's and James' maps, for example) can be timed well and still give the player troubles with accuracy.
buny
idk about you, but i want to slit every time i play a James map
TakuMii
but james training = best training
Winshley
To me, playing horribly off-timed maps for SS is a unique challenge. :P

paraparaMAX is one example. I had to shift between 0ms~+40ms on several sections.

On-topic: You don't have to, unless it's for multiplayer. Play old maps if you think they're fun, but of course do it on Solo mode.
Oinari-sama
James maps are great!
Buster
Old maps are good
New maps are very bad and not recommended
7ambda
Zalaria

GoldenWolf wrote:

High OD? Although a lot of recent maps are OD7, there are quite a fairly amount of OD8/9 maps too
Same for the difficulty of reading, take any skystar map and tada

people don't like the low AR nor how "simple" the maps were
Pretty much this. Though I can agree with some others here that a fair amount of older maps are mistimed rather awkwardly. But there is still some enjoyment to old maps for me. I actually prefer them over new maps. Helps learning to read those weird oldstyle patterns.
Catgirl
There's a certain ranked mapset from 2010 that has a CS4 AR9 difficulty and a CS5 AR8 difficulty, both in the mid-5 star range. Which one would you expect to be a more fun map to play?

Most of you without playing them will say the AR9 one because it's more on today's standards and it plays better compared to what you're used to. But if you can read AR8 then I think you'll find the AR8 map to be very fun and even more fun.

Let's be honest though, if you can't play AR8 and don't have any desire to learn it, don't play old maps, and don't comment on the maps if you can't play them. It's not required to be able to play them, but if you can play them, there are lots of 2011 and earlier maps that are very fun to play. (of course there are a lot of bad ones too, honestly just avoid anything before 2009)
Starrodkirby86
To give a point of perspective, there was a time (probably before 2011?) where AR and OD were actually conjoined as one, named simply OD. As an OD of 9 was very difficult to really play in the day and the current AR at the time was 8, it was extremely rare to really get a song that was AR9. This map is an example of the AR/OD being the same entity. This map, to some degree, is as well.

Decimal choices came after the separation of AR and OD as well, so that's another thing to consider. We definitely have a lot more flexibility now with our settings.
Yuudachi-kun
Kirby I love your old maps

Rank more like it fuck the haters
Starrodkirby86
Oh my god, and I thought you were such a tease earlier. :P

chainpullz also wrote about it too. Man, you guys.

This should motivate me further to move my butt and make more content.
Yuudachi-kun
Yeah, I played hundreds of old 2008-2010 maps a few months ago and they were SO REFRESHING and a new fun type of challenge compared to modern shit that I fell in love with them (James)

Shotgun Symphony ranks as one of my favourites from that time

But you know - no 2016 std player will ever try to touch them
Catgirl
i'm in a standard tournament that starts next week, all maps are 2009 and older

i am very disappointed there are no kirby mixes in the mappool :c
Starrodkirby86

Catgirl wrote:

i'm in a standard tournament that starts next week, all maps are 2009 and older

i am very disappointed there are no kirby mixes in the mappool :c
I guess this must be it? :)

Aww, what a shame there aren't any KIRBY Mixes. I think it would have been fun. I recognize a lot of the maps though. :P
N0thingSpecial

Khelly wrote:

Don't you generalize you prick ;w;
Kayy

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Khelly wrote:

Don't you generalize you prick ;w;
Endie-

N0thingSpecial wrote:

Khelly wrote: