forum

☆osu! "Not very Secret Santa" [steam games and whatnot] ☆

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
boat
Hello boys and girls, I'm sure most of you already know what a "Secret Santa" event is about. If you don't, here's a brief explanation;

Secret Santa

Wikipedia wrote:

Secret Santa is a Western Christmas tradition in which members of a group or community are randomly assigned a person to whom they anonymously give a gift. It offers a way for many people to give and receive a gift at low cost, since the alternative gift tradition is for each person to buy gifts for every other person. In this way, the Secret Santa tradition also encourages gift exchange groups whose members are not close enough to participate in the alternative tradition of giving presents to everyone else.

Read the following before you make a fool out of yourself.

I do have a slight hunch that this wont work out, but you know what would be really nice? If you all help out and make it work. Many communities hold holiday events like these and often people are mature enough to not ruin the fun of others just for the sake of being an asshat. Do you not have 5$ to spare or are you only participating in hope of getting a free game? Leave, don't bother. I will both set some fairly strict requirements and have a blacklist based on my own discretion.

Requirements:

Must have a reasonable history.
Must have been a member for at least two years. Sorry newfags and multiaccounts, try again next year.
Must have/have had a supporter tag.
A valid, community activated steam account with a public profile is required.
A valid email adress is also required.
Some Christmas spirit.

Alright, with that out of the away, here's the plan.
Unfortunately steam does not allow for anonymous gifting, hence "not very secret", but this is alright as I think if we do it right it could be even better knowing who you got the gift from, to show some appreciation for their generosity, or yell at them for sending you a copy of bad rats (seriously though no bad rats please thank you). You will be listed and and assigned a random partner who you can stalk who's games library and wishlist you can take a look at in order to see what kind of games they play or would like to have. The point of this is for everyone to try and send out their gift at least within a certain time frame, as close to Christmas eve as possible, and not telling the person you're assigned to anything about it until the gift is sent out.

Some basic rules and guidelines that I'm sure you all can reason with:
Keep it at 10$/£/€ maximum. There's no set minimum, but be reasonable. The steam autumn sale is still up, and you can find some really nice games for as little as 5 bucks. You certainly don't have to buy something from their wishlist, getting something you'd never buy for yourself otherwise can be nice as well, but if the person really likes i.e racing games then I'm sure they'd be happier to get a racing game than something like "Bad Rats".
Seriously guys no "Bad Rats"
No keys/CD keys, especially no humble bundles.
Don't tell the person you're assigned to until the event is over. I'll schedule some days for sending the gifts out, but if you're certain you wont be available at that time you're of course free to send it out earlier. Ideally it'd be nice if everyone did it at once though.
I will of course account for a few people being generous and not getting anything in return. There will always be those few gypsies who participate only to get games for free, so I've stocked up on a few games to give away to some honorable mentions who deserve getting something back.
Additionally, if you get a game which you're not interested at all you are free to trade it over to either me or directly to somebody who didn't receive a gift.

To participate, set your steam profile to public and send me a personal message (Forum PM/IRC/Add me on Steam) including;
A link to your steam profile (unless you're already listed in my Steam General thread)
A valid email address.

Only entries through personal messages to me are valid, so don't be silly posting that in the thread. The deadline for signing up is the 15th of December at 23:59 GTM+2.
You will be sent a message with who you're assigned to a day or so after the deadline, depending on however long it takes for me to sort it out.

Cheers!
deadbeat
i am so tempted to stickie this thread until event is over.
sound good?
Topic Starter
boat
Sure

Going to use this post to list the confirmed participants (don't worry if you've entered but not on the list. If you're not eligible I would have let you know).
DaddyCoolVipper
Gcode
OzzyOzrock
jackishere
Mianki
brainman (sorry)
Quaraezha
Calm
Mogsworth
stuff
Topic Starter
boat

boat wrote:

Additionally, if you get a game which you're not interested at all you are free to trade it over to either me or directly to somebody who didn't receive a gift.
For clarification, the unwanted games (if there will be any) will be collected and sent out to those who didn't receive a gift. You are of course free to do whatever you like with what you get i.e send it of to a friend or sell it, but that's not a very nice thing to do.

Additional rules and guidelines:
If it does happen that somebody joins just for the sake of getting free games I will add you to the naughty list and in all of my future events and giveaways you will receive nothing but coal and be forever labelled a gypsy.
I don't want to allow keys or humble bundle gifts, but I can't really stop you from being a cheapo. By the rules these are not allowed, but if you for whatever reasons can't make online purchases you are free to buy a physical copy of the game in a store (one with a steam redeemable key) to give away. Send me a message before you do though.
By all means feel free to tell your friends to tag along on this. The more people who sign up the better.
awp
coal was pretty valuable during the last holiday sale

thinkin' I might get in on this once the holiday sale rolls around just because I like buying steam games more than I like playing them
Topic Starter
boat
There's no set deadline for sending out your gift so chances are you'll be able to pick up something nice from the holiday sale. Even with the speculative deadline there should be plenty of time. There's always the trading forums where you can pick up games for roughly the sale prices as well.

Although there is a deadline for sign-ups, which is on the 15th (yeah I changed it, the 15th is a more reasonable date and it's a Sunday) at 23:59 GMT+2, so keep that in mind.
Topic Starter
boat
Entries are closed. You will receive instructions through a forum PM shortly.
Quaraezha

Received Long Live The Queen from Calm
Sent Biocock Infinite to DaddyCoolVipper
(And also received Bad Rats from Daddy, fgt)

Merry Christmas, nignogs.
Mogsy
Definitely enjoyed doing it this year.

Gave eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Dark Package to stuff!
Received both Evoland and Race the Sun from Mianki!