forum

Limitations of the mouse?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Wildcolt
I see the site claims that every song can be passed with using a mouse, which I'm not really here to argue whether or not that is true, but I'm sure there's a limit. Right now I'm trying to learn this song and I can barely keep up with it, and I see the top ranked person did it on Double Time and Hidden(which I don't even wanna talk about), but...can that even be approached with a mouse? O.o

What I'm basically asking is this...can I expect to still not only pass the hardest beatmaps out there, but also rank on them while only using the mouse(I don't even use the keyboard to hit the beats right now)? Note: not at my current skill level of course x:

Also the hell is with the general multiplayer community...they call beatmaps I can't even pass "still slow" :'(

P.S. What's the trick to reading ar10? >.>....other than memorization.
boat

Wildcolt wrote:

P.S. What's the trick to reading ar10? >.>....other than memorization.
You read AR10 by learning to read AR10.

As for the rest of your gibberish, sure there is a limit to how how far you can go with a mouse, but this limit will take you many years of practice to reach. Play and practice. If you have to question things like these then you've obviously not played and practiced enough.
iSpR1Te
First of all, you learn the game, not a certain map.

A mouse player can be just as good as a tablet user. Also, becoming good with mouse only will take a lot more dedication and practice compared to mouse+keyboard. Since it sounds like you are in a hurry to play harder maps, I'd recommend playing mouse+keyboard. Only limitation a mouse may have is the constant problem of re-positioning your hand while playing but after while you will get better at it. At first it's a pretty big pain.

Tips: Practice
Turn off Mouse Acceleration
Play on the lowest comfortable DPI
Topic Starter
Wildcolt
First of all you learn the game, not a certain map.
Yea I understand that. That was more of just the song I had played as opposed to trying to memorize it or anything like that. I suppose I should have said "songs of this difficulty level" as opposed to that map in particular.

Since it sounds like you are in a hurry to play harder maps
Not really in a hurry, well maybe...just tired of people picking on me for picking maps that don't have 300+ things to hit per minute >.>

Play on the lowest comfortable DPI
Not an option for me. I have very little room for my mouse to move in and unless I want to go and build me a new desk and custom keyboard tray...it will stay this way. I can't go lower than 800(with max windows sensitivity) or I start ramming into my keyboard/throwing the mouse off the tray xP unless you consider that the comfort zone lol
silmarilen
800 is fine, most people recommend 400-800, going up to 1000ish with bigger screens.
Zare
if you have to put max sensitivity in windows settings, you're better off putting them back to 6/11 and compensating the cursor speed with higher dpi. The cursor will move just as fast, but raising mouse speed in windows makes the cursor skip pixels, which you don't want in an precision-based game like osu
TacticalBacon
No such thing as a limit when you practice hard enough.
mathexpert

TacticalBacon wrote:

"No such thing as a limit when you practice hard enough."
*sniff sniff* that was so inspirational :(
Topic Starter
Wildcolt
I appreciate the encouragement, but does anyone in say the top 1000 still use a mouse? I'd just like that hope D:
iSpR1Te

Wildcolt wrote:

I appreciate the encouragement, but does anyone in say the top 1000 still use a mouse? I'd just like that hope D:
[ Beatrice ], PeaChick(I think), kriers
silmarilen
there are loads of people who still play mouse, most notable ones probably being jappybabes, peachick and doomsday
im also top1k playing with mouse huehue shameless self promotion
Zare
I play mouse, and I'm obviously better than silmarilen
Topic Starter
Wildcolt
Good stuff. Doubts dismissed.
thelewa
I'm glad that the gameplay of mediocre players is making you feel better about playing with a style that obviously has enough limitations to force most high-end players to finally switch to tablets when they feel like actually getting better at the game (Shizuru-)

While I understand that their gameplay may seem really good to your eyes, once you reach their level you will be infinitely frustrated over how much better people like rrtyui are while playing with a tablet.
Zare
what about people like Tom saying that mouse can be as good as tablet
thelewa
That is purely speculation on his part, he doesn't have any proof to back it up.

If he were any good with a mouse (or a tablet), what he said would have more basis. But as of now there are no mouse players even close to the level of the best tablet players.
kriers
To OP:

While mouse has many limitations in regards to being able to play at the highest level of aiming, reaching that level is from your standpoint so far away that you shouldn't think about it. It's perfectly possible to progress to a high level while using a mouse.

Perhaps mouse is your kind of thing, or maybe buying a tablet would unlock a huge skill boost. It's not always the same case with everyone.

thelewa wrote:

As of now there are no mouse players even close to the level of the best tablet players.
I wouldn't delve too deeply into the very best of aim players out there. Even with a tablet, one can't possibly expect there's a good chance he'll have the same potential aiming ability as shizuru or rrtyui.

Other than that, I agree that we won't likely see a mouse player as good as the best of tablet players.
AstralPhnx
One word. Jumps.
With a mouse they are really difficult to perform without constant practice whereas with a tablet or touchscreen you can jump from one side of the beatmap to the other in miliseconds (DERP)
silmarilen
it takes you seconds to jump from one side of the screen to the other?
wow
Topic Starter
Wildcolt
@ThePretentiousOne(I'm sure you can figure it out)
I didn't ask if I could compete in the next owc with a mouse, I asked if I would be able to get within the top 500 on the hardest songs out there using a mouse. There's a difference. Also I'd like to believe the top 1000 is no longer considered "mediocre". Also I don't get frustrated from playing with people better than me whether it's due to raw skill or a playstyle choice, trust me. I still play stepmania/xdo one handed and everyone tells me to convert over to two handed, but I don't see their points, mostly because I can fpc songs they claim are impossible to do one handed. I had a limitation with that too, namely in the form of trips and quads, but switching to a keyboard with ghosting capabilities fixed that, which I get switching to a tablet could be a similar thing, but the question is, can it be done with a mouse, given enough practice/effort? That answer was yes, are you arguing otherwise? Exclude that right now the best mouse players can't compete with the best tablet, given enough time, could those best mouse players get to the level the tablet users are at now? If the answer is yes, then you can't argue the point that the mouse is limited.

I don't mind taking the hard road as long as I can eventually get to my destination, gives me a greater feeling of pride anyways.

reaching that level is from your standpoint so far away that you shouldn't think about it.
I dunno, I'd like to think I improve fairly quickly. Considering 3 weeks ago I couldn't consistently pass a 1.99 difficulty and now I'm passing a 4.74 with almost 92% accuracy. I get that it's no Big black, or anthem, or airman, but that's still a hell of an improvement in my book, then again I guess my book is still pretty small in comparison to you guys /shrug

One word. Jumps.
With a mouse they are really difficult to perform without constant practice whereas with a tablet or touchscreen you can jump from one side of the beatmap to the other in miliseconds (DERP)
I dunno, I find jumps aren't THAT bad, they may throw me off the first time, but I usually get them under control in the next playthrough or 3. Though I suppose my jumps are pretty limited and aren't that 5.0+ jump stuff.

After the confidence given to me in this thread, it would take one hell of a brick wall to shake it at this point about being able to do it all with a mouse(even if I lag behind tablet users that have been playing just as long).
kleps

Tuxdude143 wrote:

One word. Jumps.
You make no sense. How fast you are able to jump is all down to your tablet area/mouse sensitivity not to what you are using.

Tuxdude143 wrote:

without constant practice
So you are telling me jumping with tablet doesn't require constant practice? You smell like a mouse user to me.
show more