forum

[11.30.14] Luminance

posted
Total Posts
show more
Haskorion

Uruoki wrote:

I don't use GIMP and refuse to download it. I'll mess with it later. This week I am on call at work, so I don't want to get too involved into anything, then get called it.
Fluorescence Hitcircle element remake

Got some fancy PSDs this time after comparing my GIMP exports and PS exports (PS much smoother edges). I also made sure that I don't see any particles on them in both resolutions. It maybe has to do with the compression when exporting it to png-format. I chose the lossless option.
I also remade the approachcircle to fit 256px and the hitcircle to have the set complete.
As a claim I don't force you to change them, they are just suggestions or extras depending on your view.

@Aggrox: If you check the dimensions of the approachcircle it gets more obvious. The normal size should be like the 256x256 where as the luminace one is 250x250. If you like you can check my remake and how it plays in comparison.
AGRX
yeah 250x250 i didnt noticed

EDIT: Whats better 16x or 14x ? Its just Antialiasing ?
Topic Starter
Uruoki
16x.

Agrrox wrote:

- Hitbursts
Hitbursts should look different than default1-9.pngs It is really hard to read very fast anti-jumps/difficult patterns when you get few inaccurate hits.
They look almost the same as default numbers with difference they use serif and are italic.
And when they are kinda similar and reading is so heavy dependant on numbers, THIS IS REALLY BAD.
I liked more the old ones because they dont take much attention and not making noise when they appeared over the default pngs.
And most important i NEVER confuse them with numbers.
And because numbers don't use any kind of outlining or don't have shadow drop the new hitburst just blends with numbers LOL.
But i think outlining as Aestetic skin has should be a good experiment, maybe it will improve reading who knows..

And yeah hitburst have file name with hit0 hit50 hit100 hit100k hit300 hit300g hit300k prefix.
As you can read here: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Skinning
Think you misread what I said. Anyway, I am going to rework on these.

- particlex.png trick
Also a trick you can try to do. If you put a transparent particle50.png particle100.png particle100k.png, Hitburst will appear under the circle instead of top of it. But certain players actually like to see hitburst above circle so better put that into Extra folder.
Will add later.

- Ctb
Also I have made experiment with Ctb. This skin is suppose to show more accurate hitbox of elements. I made test to show their real hitbox which is 1x1 pixel also the ryuuta has much smaller collision box than seen on original files. I did test with 2x2 fruits and adjusted the ryuuta catcher plate for perfect collision size. Not only that but also fruit plate is in same height as the fruits hits the end of hitbox.
skin: http://puu.sh/aDoP8.zip
Haven't check, but will check in a later time.

- Ryuuta
And to organic ryuuta. Im still working on it. The actual pretty good, looks like something Gothic or Renaissance style. But kinda sharp IMO.
So something more rounded?

- Spinner
Also idk why but with this skin its hard to keep spining because there is no good visual indicator how fast you are spining. The inside circle is kinda too small.
When i spin i kinda more focus on sound.
Working on redesigning. It is off a bit, but no one knows because I hidden it. Still working on a new sound, but it will come later.

Mania and Taiko seems to be in good state. I will figure it out by playing more.
Check the bold parts.

Agrrox wrote:

Also I always felt that approach circles are going a bit over hitcircles no matter how i hit..
I mean this:

-snip-

I can see the approach circle is kinda a bit getting over hitcircle. Default skin approach circle is touching hitcircle.

-snip-

I heard you talking about how is the plankian locus hitcircle producing new hues into hitcircleoverlay when expanded.
I think its because the actual hitcircle is a bit overlaping with hitcircleoverlay.
NOTE: I intentionally placed hitcircle on top of hitcircle overlay.

Not sure if this is part of design thou.:)

Also thx for Fluorescence , A best skin when your eyes are well rested and aiming for good rank ^^.
Redesigning this actually.

ReddScorn wrote:

Uruoki wrote:

I don't use GIMP and refuse to download it. I'll mess with it later. This week I am on call at work, so I don't want to get too involved into anything, then get called it.
Fluorescence Hitcircle element remake

Got some fancy PSDs this time after comparing my GIMP exports and PS exports (PS much smoother edges). I also made sure that I don't see any particles on them in both resolutions. It maybe has to do with the compression when exporting it to png-format. I chose the lossless option.
I also remade the approachcircle to fit 256px and the hitcircle to have the set complete.
As a claim I don't force you to change them, they are just suggestions or extras depending on your view.

@Aggrox: If you check the dimensions of the approachcircle it gets more obvious. The normal size should be like the 256x256 where as the luminace one is 250x250. If you like you can check my remake and how it plays in comparison.
Will look into in a bit.
AGRX
nice ^^
AGRX
When will you work on next update Uruoki ? :D just curious
Topic Starter
Uruoki
This weekend or next week.
MrLolrus
After around 1 week of using the FL skin, I can offer some quality feedback :)

I really like the *tick* sound the hit circles make. Also, the pass/fail visual and sounds after breaks in a song are satisfying.
(I replaced the spinner sound with the default one as a temporary fix)

The lifebar gets harder to see as it empties, fading from bright red to black. I personally like this feature. It gives more immersion to it.

The mod icons aren't very noob-friendly since they don't have any visual indicator as to what the mod does. They also look confusing when stacked, such as in a multiplayer lobby.

The cursor when clicked looks like it has jaggies.

It's hard to tell the difference between a silver and gold S rating.

Some dark colored hit circles are hard to see on dark/black backgrounds. Specifically dark blue and purple.

There are no hit circle chains, which can be a downer for people using the hidden mod.

Something that'd be pretty neat is having osu! auto-switch between FL and PL depending on the time of day, like f.lux. It'd save the trouble of switching to PL during those night gaming sessions.

Keep up the great work Uruoki!
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Mod icons: I noticed that too and I am still trying to think of a good solution.
Cursor: I'll look into it.
Rating: I may redesign those anyway.
Dark Hitcircles: Not sure why. Can you post a screenshot?
Hitcircle chain: I am assuming you mean the followpoints. I am going to add those to the extra folder.
MrLolrus

Uruoki wrote:

Mod icons: I noticed that too and I am still trying to think of a good solution.
Hitcircle chain: I am assuming you mean the followpoints. I am going to add those to the extra folder.
Followpoints might be the correct term, I'm still new to osu! terminology.
Dark Hitcircles can be found on certain maps with a dark color choice, such as on this map http://puu.sh/aKV7c/11eed4e8ab.png (song is Yousei Teikoku - Kuusou Mesorogiwi with background 100% dimmed)
AGRX

MrLolrus wrote:

After around 1 week of using the FL skin, I can offer some quality feedback :)

I really like the *tick* sound the hit circles make. Also, the pass/fail visual and sounds after breaks in a song are satisfying.
(I replaced the spinner sound with the default one as a temporary fix)

*Default one seems to be the best, but im working to find some alternatives from my MASIVE skin collection, maybe Uruoki will use them :)

The lifebar gets harder to see as it empties, fading from bright red to black. I personally like this feature. It gives more immersion to it.

*Agree, but will be better to get at least that "peripheral feel" how much hp do you have before break starts.

The mod icons aren't very noob-friendly since they don't have any visual indicator as to what the mod does. They also look confusing when stacked, such as in a multiplayer lobby.

*Im working on vertical alignment icons so you will read mods from top to bottom.
like this:

D/H/F
T/D/L
Maybe Uruoki will like them, or he will make his own using this idea. Anyway I will use it for my own skin, if it will be ever released.

The cursor when clicked looks like it has jaggies.

It's hard to tell the difference between a silver and gold S rating.

*Agree, A new players may not notice there is difference

Some dark colored hit circles are hard to see on dark/black backgrounds. Specifically dark blue and purple.

*Best solution to achieve visibility is to use default Luminance skin's colors by either disabling globally "ignore beatmap skin" or you can do it by moving cursor at bottom of screen before song starts and tick "ignore beatmap skin". Unlike Plankian Locus, Fluorescence is using white approach circles so if color is too dark then its problem of beatmap colors, not skin.

There are no hit circle chains, which can be a downer for people using the hidden mod.

*Totally disagree, I know a lot of good HD players that dont use Followpoints. I think they are more important for FL mod. Ofc with longer animation.
I think that line/animated follow points are more for bad than good. They make some maps hard to read when you switch to different AR.
Also not sure if 5 frame followpoints that are included are accurate, i see a lot of people to switch to 9-frame followpoints lately.

Something that'd be pretty neat is having osu! auto-switch between FL and PL depending on the time of day, like f.lux. It'd save the trouble of switching to PL during those night gaming sessions.

* This is wrong thread to ask for skin auto-switching feature, you will have more success in Features Request here: 4
Also i don't see any trouble to just go to options and switch to different skin? It isn't that difficult.
Also make sure you are having breaks during "endless" night session, a little break to switch to different skin may help :)

Keep up the great work Uruoki!]
Topic Starter
Uruoki

MrLolrus wrote:

Uruoki wrote:

Followpoints might be the correct term, I'm still new to osu! terminology.
Dark Hitcircles can be found on certain maps with a dark color choice, such as on this map http://puu.sh/aKV7c/11eed4e8ab.png (song is Yousei Teikoku - Kuusou Mesorogiwi with background 100% dimmed)
Do you have "Ignore all beatmap skins" enable in settings? If not, enable that and see if that works.
MrLolrus
No I didn't; seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks :)
AGRX
Uruoki what kind of font is Luminance using ?
AGRX
here are alternative spinner sounds i found useful
http://puu.sh/aO9Er.zip
Topic Starter
Uruoki

Agrrox wrote:

Uruoki what kind of font is Luminance using ?

Uruoki wrote:

Here is a list of fonts that Luminance has used in case you want to change anything.
Caviar Dreams
Champagne & Limousines
Elegant Light
Origin

I believe right now I have reduced the fonts to the first two.
rep_old_1
Question: if I am running a software such as f.lux that already adjusts my computer display's color temperature according to location and time of day, will using the Planckian Locus skin overcompensate and disrupt the effects of the color temperature because of the two conflicting things? Thank you
Topic Starter
Uruoki

repath wrote:

Question: if I am running a software such as f.lux that already adjusts my computer display's color temperature according to location and time of day, will using the Planckian Locus skin overcompensate and disrupt the effects of the color temperature because of the two conflicting things? Thank you
It works. It will just make it double the effect.
rep_old_1

Uruoki wrote:

repath wrote:

It works. It will just make it double the effect.
But if the temperature is too low, it won't have any negative effects on our eyes?
Topic Starter
Uruoki
It will just be really orange and you may not be able to tell the combo colors apart.
ezequiel00_old

Syrus wrote:

Wow, this is very interesting, I never thought that a colour of a skin actually even mattered. Keep up the good work.
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Small update is out.
No more updates for awhile. I need a break.
AGRX
http://puu.sh/aW3J9.zip
- I have done precise hitcircleoverlay without artifacts using precise vector graphics.
They fit to slider borders perfectly.
I have included .ai and .svg.
MrLolrus

Uruoki wrote:

Small update is out.
See you until then!

Agrrox wrote:

- I have done precise hitcircleoverlay without artifacts using precise vector graphics.
What are the differences when using your files instead of the default? Also, which files should I use? For example, I see different sizes for the hitcircle overlays (7, 8, 14, and 16px)
AGRX

MrLolrus wrote:

Uruoki wrote:

Small update is out.
See you until then!

Agrrox wrote:

What are the differences when using your files instead of the default? Also, which files should I use? For example, I see different sizes for the hitcircle overlays (7, 8, 14, and 16px)

ReddScorn is creator of the files you mentioned. I really don't know which one. I asked too. But without reasonable response.
Just figure it out by yourself.

Respond to white artifact that apears with default files i have made mine. Actual hitcircleoverlay from both sources (ReddScorn and Uruoki) have small artifact, small white lines that are more visible at certain Circle Size.
Mine dont have that artifact, because i have used vector graphics program uses different interpolation, downside is, that it has worse antialiasing so circle may look more jaggy. Could do something in photoshop to fix that.
Moeri_old_1
Hi, I think this might be a bug.

Not sure if it's easy to see but there's white square around the Approach Circle owo
AGRX

A i k a wrote:

Not sure if it's easy to see but there's white square around the Approach Circle owo
its known bug, if you mean those white edges on hitcircle
Moeri_old_1

Agrrox wrote:

A i k a wrote:

its known bug, if you mean those white edges on hitcircle
Not only it, if you look around the approach circle, there's a square around them
AGRX
That never happen at my side, and even when i re-check the texture of approach circle its seems to be without any transparent borders...

Must be issue at your side.

What resolution do you play ? what beatmap or CS size it is visible ?
Did you tried different approach circle ?
CrazyEast

Syrus wrote:

Wow, this is very interesting, I never thought that a colour of a skin actually even mattered. Keep up the good work.
Torahachi
Really nice skin, keep up the work! :)
Adinata28
wow.. Very Nice Skin.. :)
babynanami

Syrus wrote:

[MalMalHoy]
Love the skin,well done! :) :) :D
Vantavia
I made a few modifications:

Replaced the cursor with a black outlined/glow one to make it easier to spot when it's on a bright background.
Replaced the back arrow with osu default with a black outline (I can't notice the one in Luminance on fast songs/DT)
Replaced the hitcircle so there isn't a gap around it (That threw me off alot)
Changed the followpoint to a red line.
Replaced the hit numbers with coloured variants to make them easier to identify.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/225 ... ied%29.osk
KasiVodka
Thanks for your amazing skin, it is working great <3
Hansel
Is there anyway i can get the original Luminance skin?
Topic Starter
Uruoki

Hansel Idk wrote:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/haxa3 ... inance.osk
Hansel

Uruoki wrote:

Hansel Idk wrote:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/haxa3 ... inance.osk
Thanks <3
DesuSenpai_old
the colors are amazing but i think the numbers could be a little more bolder /:
AGRX
Wonder when will new update come out!
show more