forum

[11.30.14] Luminance

posted
Total Posts
show more
Neroh

Uruoki wrote:

It is almost done actually. Just need to finish Taiko and Mania. I suppose I can make an alternative and more noticeable spinner. What did you not like about it?
I found it difficult to tell the sense of speed when using it, maybe cause I'm used to a bar filling, but I don't think that many people use a bar. It's not important or anything but I just found it off putting idk ^^
Topic Starter
Uruoki

Neroh wrote:

Uruoki wrote:

It is almost done actually. Just need to finish Taiko and Mania. I suppose I can make an alternative and more noticeable spinner. What did you not like about it?
I found it difficult to tell the sense of speed when using it, maybe cause I'm used to a bar filling, but I don't think that many people use a bar. It's not important or anything but I just found it off putting idk ^^
The bars/meter on the side? Pretty sure that is disable with the new skin behavior. I could unforce that and add a meter. I rather not though since the new skin seems to handle scoreboard better and has more skin elements to work/customize. Hope you get use to it though, you can always check your speed with the box at the bottom.
EineKrone
Interesting, think i will use it. At least the circles(I play osu with a frankstein skin) '-'
Also, nice article, gives some ideas for messing with things around here, less stress on the eyes is a good thing.
Topic Starter
Uruoki
New skin download is out. Everything should be fully skinned. (Unless I miss a few things).

Just 3 major updates before I release a final version. Menu/ui redesign (if it works how I want it to), design some new sounds, and optimize the skin. There is a few elements not in HD. This will also be part of the menu/ui redesign.

These updates will come when they are done. Mainly depend on when I feel like doing them.

Unless something breaks, or I miss an important element, then no other updates will come out anytime soon. I feel like I missed some mania elements. Since I am not a mania player, I don't know what I may have missed.

May do the supporter elements if I can get my hands on it or have someone test them for me. Not sure.
PyaKura
Great news !
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Forgot to skin Taiko-hits. Will get those done tomorrow hopefully.
BlanksonnG
This is a great skin and a good read as well! Keep up the hard work!
deadbeat

Uruoki wrote:

Forgot to skin Taiko-hits. Will get those done tomorrow hopefully.
gimmie a poke when you're ready and I'll check this fully
Topic Starter
Uruoki
New update for Taiko hits.

Edit: Not sure how I missed it, but "cursor_circle1" in the extra folder is using the wrong cursor. Not important enough for another update. So it will be included in one of the big ones.

Edit 2: Taiko hits are kind of hard to play with. I have added newer version on the OP. It is just the hits themselves, so extract them into the Luminance folder.
thelewa
this is definitely the most complete and best skin for playing the game that's actually on these forums

also what does this mean in the extras folder "If you are going to use the followpoint, don't forget to delete followpoint.png in the main folder." I'm confus since removing the followpoint.png and @2x files does nothing at all
Topic Starter
Uruoki

thelewa wrote:

this is definitely the most complete and best skin for playing the game that's actually on these forums

also what does this mean in the extras folder "If you are going to use the followpoint, don't forget to delete followpoint.png in the main folder." I'm confus since removing the followpoint.png and @2x files does nothing at all
Copy the these files into the main folder.

Delete these files from the main folder.

Since the follow point in the extra folder is animated and the one in the main folder is not, it will not ask you to replace the followpoint files.
thelewa
oh yeah I must've done that already when I first downloaded the skin
Natsu
I start using this today and is awesome GJ ♥
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Added another optional download for spinners. Only needed if you play hidden mod. This should make spinners a bit easier with hidden mod. Will be included in the future.
Time-
Wow this is a really nice skin :). I love the circle in Taiko hha xD

And the size of fade in and random mod in mania is different from the other mods
http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/1274958
Topic Starter
Uruoki

-Ada wrote:

And the size of fade in and random mod in mania is different from the other mods
I am unable to produce this. Make sure you are using the newest version. Not sure why it is doing that.
Haskorion

Uruoki wrote:

-Ada wrote:

I am unable to produce this. Make sure you are using the newest version. Not sure why it is doing that.
he doesn't use a higher resolution i think, that's why.
the normal ones are smaller than the HD ones.
Random, Nightcore, Perfect and Fade-In mod icons are 50x47 instead of 69x65.
Clearlov
thx~
Topic Starter
Uruoki

ReddScorn wrote:

he doesn't use a higher resolution i think, that's why.
the normal ones are smaller than the HD ones.
Random, Nightcore, Perfect and Fade-In mod icons are 50x47 instead of 69x65.
I see now. Fixed those with the newest update.
SD CARD
Awesome skin~
Neroh
Glad to see you're still continuing with this, it's my favourite skin by far. I've altered a few things for personal preference but this is now my skin of preference! Let me know if you'd like to see my changes and I'll up them for you to see!
:)
deadbeat
spinnerwarning.png is missing
what selection-mod-fadeout.png. don't remember see a fadeout mod anywhere ._."
also why is selection-mod-fadein/random smaller than the other mods?
maybe edit an F2 into selection-random.png?

looks fine other than that
semantics
Topic Starter
Uruoki

deadbeat wrote:

what selection-mod-fadeout.png. don't remember see a fadeout mod anywhere ._."
also why is selection-mod-fadein/random smaller than the other mods?
maybe edit an F2 into selection-random.png?

looks fine other than that
I don't think that is used with the new skin behavior anymore.

selection-mod-fadeout.png
It was part of the new skin template. Will double check in the future.

selection-mod-fadein/random smaller
Addressed in the 1.25.14 update.

F2 into selection-random.png
Addressed in the 1.18.14 update.
Anonym
nice skin
Topic Starter
Uruoki
I don't see me finishing this skin any time soon. It is done and complete though, just a few tweaks.
I have stopped playing OSU till I play a ranked map made by shaneoyo. I am addicted to Final Fantasy XIV.
shavit
I found a missing element: menu-background.png - the custom background that osu! supporters get.
Topic Starter
Uruoki

Shavit-sama wrote:

I found a missing element: menu-background.png - the custom background that osu! supporters get.
I am aware of this, and decided not to include since most people have a preference on what to add to that.
Demynnfire
Love the skin, it fits my liking :3
Thank you for makign it ^^
deadbeat
oh crap i was meant to look at this again. if i haven't check again by sunday, poke me ingame or something
Topic Starter
Uruoki
New update out for UI. Some elements still need redesign. (Mainly taiko) These will be part of the optimization update.
Robbieyo
This skin is exactly what I was looking for, too perfect for my liking. Thanks for the time you've invested in making it!
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Thanks. I should have the final release ready tonight.

There will not be custom hitsounds though, and that will be explained tonight.

Final version is out. Below is the explanation on why I will not do custom hitsounds, and why they were reverted back to the default.

Sounds are usually broke into 3 parts. Low, Mid and High. The low end is your bass, mid is your sounds like snares, and high is your high hats. Sound only have so much room to fight each other for air space. So if you play two kick drums at the same time and if they are both at 100hz, then the loudest one will be heard. If they are both heard, then it is muddy and sound messy. This is where the problem comes in at. It is recommended at sounds are kept under -3db. This is how a loudest of sound is measure. -3db is suggested so you don't blow your sound system from playing noise too loud. This is great and all, so I know how loud to make my hitsounds. However there are tricks to make your sound louder and still be under -3db. This is called compression. Not sure how to explain it into detail, but it basically takes all your sounds, bumps them up to as loud as they can, but makes it so they don't go over the line. It is good though. It can make or break a song from sounding completely different and it is a common technique used in mastering (making sure everything sounds good and processed before you finalized it) sounds.

To make it simple, I can add a compressor to my hit sounds to try to drown out the music in OSU a bit. However each song is master differently, so it would be rather time consuming. If I compress them too much, then they will be distorted. You could change the sound setting in OSU though for the music and effect.

Now here is the other reason I won't do hitsounds, mappers.

Even if I did somehow make a sound that fit with every song out there, mappers are still a problem. Wasn't sure about it before, but I asked a friend that maps about it before I started on the sounds. He told me that mappers can control the volume of each hitsound (or anything that is not a mp3 or ogg file). So that is another issue I would have to try to patch up.

In the long run, it is not worth my time to make custom hitsounds if they are going to be drown out by the music, or reduced by mappers.
deadbeat
2 things could be fixed.
selection-random.png doesn't have F2 in it. only selection-random-over.png does, while selection-mods.png and selection-options.png have their respective F1/F3
and this one isn't as bad, but maybe extend the width of the ranking panel box so it works with maps with huge scores/combos. example

it's enough to be moved though
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Both of these should be fixed now.
PascalK
I've been using this skin for a while now, and I absolutely love it. Thanks for making this Uruoki!
Topic Starter
Uruoki
You're welcome.
darkmiz
I think the white color of the numbers, rank letters, hitcircleoverlay and sliderborder is too bright for the eyes, especially contrasting with a black background. Why not change them to a darker/softer color?
aeS
Not sure if this was pointed or not, but the skin is missing volume-bg-effect.png (edit: alt+scroll wheel in-game). Not that big of a deal, but you can skin it real quickly if you want, or just copy paste volume-bg.png and colour replace the notches or something. Everything else is real solid.
Topic Starter
Uruoki

darkmiz wrote:

I think the white color of the numbers, rank letters, hitcircleoverlay and sliderborder is too bright for the eyes, especially contrasting with a black background. Why not change them to a darker/softer color?
I will upload some with a dimmer white before Friday.

aeS wrote:

Not sure if this was pointed or not, but the skin is missing volume-bg-effect.png. Not that big of a deal, but you can skin it real quickly if you want, or just copy paste volume-bg.png and colour replace the notches or something. Everything else is real solid.
Didn't even know that was an option. I'll skin this before Friday.

Both of these have been addressed and included in the newest upload.
show more