forum

Stairs!!! Help?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ceph23
Hi. So yeah. I've been playing 7keys mania for awhile now but something has been bothering me. I frikin' suck at stairs. All types. I can handle
alteration, advanced long notes and all those other stuff pretty well. But stairs just keep braking my combos and sends my accuracy down plumiting.

Does anyone know any mania maps to help with my stairs accuracy? I would realy appreciate it ^_^
PyaKura
MiddleIsland - Piano Concerto No.1 "Scream" [LV.16] should be good for you. It features quite a lot of stairs patterns.
Topic Starter
Ceph23

PyaKura wrote:

MiddleIsland - Piano Concerto No.1 "Scream" [LV.16] should be good for you. It features quite a lot of stairs patterns.
Tried it. I've finished Both [LV.16] and [Lv.23]. As expected my accuracy is horrible. Better get to practicing then. Thanks. This will help a lot ^_^
[AyanoTatemaya]
If you're bored or waiting for someone, and there's a table next to you, what will you do? :)

On your left hand (this applies also to your right) , try tapping your little ring finger first, then the middle one, and lastly your index finger. If you're left handed (just like me), try adding your thumb on the sequence; otherwise, add it on your right. Try slowing it down until you find the appropriate beat for the stairs.
Practice that :D
Shiro -
I have that same problem last time i started practising on my 7 keys in osumania!.At first I just spam the keys quickly(obviously it doesn't go well XD),so i tried to play maps that have lots of stairs in them though i can't remember which one has.All i know is that you can go to t/148658 or t/147552 and play those maps..it really helped me improved my 7 keys.hope this helps you.
Naruse Maria

HinagikuKatsura wrote:

If you're bored or waiting for someone, and there's a table next to you, what will you do? :)

On your left hand (this applies also to your right) , try tapping your little ring finger first, then the middle one, and lastly your index finger. If you're left handed (just like me), try adding your thumb on the sequence; otherwise, add it on your right. Try slowing it down until you find the appropriate beat for the stairs.
I always believe that this is the key if you want to have a perfect stairs.

Make your own stair training map with a BPM your comfortable with, Its always nice to start slow to build the natural feeling 8-) .

Also CMIIW our hand passively compensates for our weaker hand and fingers. Meaning if your left is weaker compared to the right it can affect your performance on double notes and slight on single stairs. Same goes to our fingers each hand, In my case left hand 4th finger ( Scumbag ring finger ) Every time i have to use this finger. My hand tense up, but when i tried to warm up my 5,4,3 finger leaving out my index. It temporarily makes my hand perform better until my index loosen up 4th finger starts to become the weakest link again as always.
So try to even out your fingers strength might sound impossible, but just try to get close to it.

Never had the patience to really focus on this problem soooooo. I hate alteration and stairs, If only they exist as a person *Grabs shotgun*
PyaKura

HinagikuKatsura wrote:

Thought about it and totally forgot to add it to my message just before posting...
Well, it's just as Hinagiku said. I also use this method to practice some little tricky patterns when played quickly such as 13-2-13-2 or 1-2-1-3-1-2.
Jin Xero
Try https://osu.ppy.sh/s/120461
Its a fun little stair heavy with short ln map!

Satellite was the map (lvl 21 ver.) i practiced my stairs on.
Topic Starter
Ceph23
Ok so basically you guys are trying to tell mo to keep tapping my fingers until they get used to the motion of moving in that pattern. alright I'll try that then

kiokumi wrote:

Make your own stair training map with a BPM your comfortable with, Its always nice to start slow to build the natural feeling 8-) .
This sounds like an interesting idea. Just the excuse I need to take a crack at mapping a song.

Oh yeah and thanks for the help ^_^
Bobbias
Playing slow stairs will help you learn to make your fingers a bit more independent.

In terms of practice, I don't agree with the idea that practising a single pattern over and over is the right way to learn. I think the best way to learn is by playing maps that happen to have stairs of different types in their patterns.

Here are the different kinds of patterns to look for (these names are what I used to refer to these patterns):
Examples
Simple Stairs

Alternating Stairs

Partial Stairs

Broken Stairs

Trilling Stairs

Each of these patterns helps in a different way. the other key is that you need to practice these patterns at different BPMs, because stairs at low speeds are very different than playing them at high speeds.

Partial stairs are very helpful, because they force you to practice "sections" of stairs one after another, so you get practice starting stairs on each finger.
Topic Starter
Ceph23
I just realized that the stairs that I am really bad at are broken stairs.
Thanks for all the info.
Bobbias
Yeah broken stairs are really hard to do well. I still tend to just spam them like standard stairs if they're fast (around 190 bpm+). At lower BPMs they become a lot of fun for me though.
Tear
I used to hate stairs too, after some practice I can do them on reasonable BPMs. (1/6 stairs that bounce off edges are evil >_>)

However I have no idea how to practice those:

When they're fast I don't even know how to start doing them, and when they're slow they become chords..
Bobbias
Double stairs are one of those patterns that I used to be completely unable to play, but one day I just 'got' them. I can't really consciously control my double stairs though, it's one of those patterns I need to rely on my instincts and hope I get right. I'm half decent at short double stairs, but once they turn into double streams I'm screwed.
Maiz94

Tear wrote:

When they're fast I don't even know how to start doing them, and when they're slow they become chords..
For me, it takes years to overcome those chords.
PyaKura
I generally clear those short double stairs on Wu Xuan Lan, but it's often due to luck...
Natame-
I got problems with Stairs pattern back then (even now). As far as i know , every auto-converted map with streams on it (like this) is a good maps to practice stairs patterns, you can try it.
Tear

ishimaru94 wrote:

Tear wrote:

If they're so hard for people, why are they on relatively easy charts? o_o
xxbidiao

Tear wrote:

ishimaru94 wrote:

Actually 1/2 stair is OK.
But 1/4 stair... I believe they won't put these in hard or lower...
(BTW I'm not good at it either)

Yeah you know when we face such pattern in other games like o2jam or BMS-simulator we just RANDOM it.
This is why RANDOM is unranked. :o
Maiz94

Tear wrote:

ishimaru94 wrote:

If the said chords are on easy charts, the mapper needs the player to get used to overcome those.

xxbidiao wrote:

Actually 1/2 stair is OK.
But 1/4 stair... I believe they won't put these in hard or lower...
(BTW I'm not good at it either)

Yeah you know when we face such pattern in other games like o2jam or BMS-simulator we just RANDOM it.
This is why RANDOM is unranked. :o
^ What he said.
show more