forum

Hovering pen vs Touching tablet

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sohara_old_1
Which do you do? I have already gotten used to touching the tablet with my pen but how many people hover or actually touch?
Full Tablet
I think most people hover.
Soulg
Most people hover, I personally drag (touch).

It doesn't really matter which you do, so don't think you have to change to hover if you're comfortable dragging.
Topic Starter
Sohara_old_1

Soulg wrote:

Most people hover, I personally drag (touch).

It doesn't really matter which you do, so don't think you have to change to hover if you're comfortable dragging.
Yea im gonna stick with dragging then, it just felt awkward when you cant feel the tablet.
Gigo
Can some pro player (or just an experienced tablet user) please make a thread about everything tablet-related? For example, explaining the advantages and disadvantages of hovering and touching, different tablet areas, different pen grips etc.? The mods can then make it sticky. Because threads "Hovering vs. Touching" or "What tablet area should I use to become Cookiezi-level in 3 days?" are made every other day.

P.S. Now that I think about it, the "Tablet Purchase Guide" needs a slight renovation too. The last OP update was 2 years ago.
Rewben2
In another thread made a while back asking the same question, there was a poll of hovering vs touching and out of about 400 votes, 77%~ or so of people hovered as do a lot of the "pro" players (cookiezi, white wolf and thelewa for example). Based on this, it seems the way to go.

Speaking from personal experience, I made the swap to hovering just a few weeks ago, it helps with tablet life so I wanted to see if I could play that way. Initially it felt like I had less control, but after a while I adjusted and now it feels like it's the better way to play. The only downside is when I'm nervous (If I have a high combo and I'm about to FC a hard song, I always get a bit nervous) I lose a lot more control than if I would if I was touching.
Almost

Artaxerx wrote:

Can some pro player (or just an experienced tablet user) please make a thread about everything tablet-related? For example, explaining the advantages and disadvantages of hovering and touching, different tablet areas, different pen grips etc.? The mods can then make it sticky. Because threads "Hovering vs. Touching" or "What tablet area should I use to become Cookiezi-level in 3 days?" are made every other day.

P.S. Now that I think about it, the "Tablet Purchase Guide" needs a slight renovation too. The last OP update was 2 years ago.
/t/167199 I already went over the advantages and disadvantages of both a few days ago.. A whole thread is not needed for something that can be summed up in 2 lines.
Gigo
Well, apparently it IS needed, since the same questions are asked over and over and over again. Like I said, threads like this one is made every other day. It's better if we have a sticky thread, that everybody can see, even if the OP is just 9-10 lines.
GoldenWolf

Artaxerx wrote:

It's better if we have a sticky thread, that everybody can see, even if the OP is just 9-10 lines.
who reads sticked threads?
Arcanine
doing both is fine. usually hover is faster and saves yourself from buying a new tablet later on.
Please

Arcanine wrote:

doing both is fine. usually hover is faster and saves yourself from buying a new tablet later on.
what do you mean by "saves yourself from buying a new tablet later on"? you don't have to push the pen with force in order to drag lol
Soarezi
i drag, i dont use force to drag. who the hell is so dumb that they use force to push the pen down and then they "have" to buy a new tablet because scratches
GoldenWolf

Soarezi wrote:

who the hell is so dumb that they use force to push the pen down and then they "have" to buy a new tablet because scratches
This guy
Look at the tablet, especially after 1:39
Soarezi
wow that's tablet abuse taken to a whole new level
Soulg
when the tablet sounds louder than everything else you have a problem
Tsukimi Luna
Never rely on tapping tablet ever...

Ive been doing that for a yaer.....
I regretted it...
Am hovering now

You will cry at the end of the day when you realise how weak your "zx" fingers are... even tho u can play all kinds of jumps
Your streams will be weak

Source : Personal Experience
GoldenWolf

Yuu-Chii wrote:

I regretted it...
Am hovering now

You will cry at the end of the day when you realise how weak your "zx" fingers are... even tho u can play all kinds of jumps

So, I had this friend who, although was tapping with his tablet for singletap and only using kb for streams, could pass freedom dive [another] after about 6 months of playing

moral of the story: everyone is different
buny

GoldenWolf wrote:

Yuu-Chii wrote:

I regretted it...
Am hovering now

So, I had this friend who, although was tapping with his tablet for singletap and only using kb for streams, could pass freedom dive [another] after about 6 months of playing

moral of the story: everyone is different
Tsukimi Luna
Just wanted to share my personal opinion

I've now switched to a pure keyboard still and im struggling with my stamina and speed... even though my aim and accuaracy is good
I can only reliably SS songs 180bpm and below... anything above will be bad for me
I will probably need to play another 10,000 or 20,000 times to get back to my old level
Probably...

Also in my opinion... if you can pass songs like FD
It doesnt automatically mean you can stream
I know many people that can spam and pass FD
But they struggle to SS songs that have 140bpm~170bpm streams

Some people can just spam really well....
I dont know how but its like that

And im a 'perfectionist'
I really hate getting 100s and 50s repeatedly

Spamming /= streaming

If you want to know if you can stream properly..
Please try to get S rank in ghost lead
The least you can do...
The bpm isnt too low or high.. Its just right and it really needs accuaracy

Ghost Lead
buny
There's a difference between streaming properly and accuracy.
Rather than looking at the accuracy as a whole, it's better to look at the consistency

Also the not being as good as before is a given since you're adapting to a new playstyle, but trying to SS every map is really holding you back from improving faster than you should.
Tsukimi Luna

buny wrote:

Also the not being as good as before is a given since you're adapting to a new playstyle, but trying to SS every map is really holding you back from improving faster than you should.
I do play songs that i currently struggle in.....
I normally try to SS 160bpms for warm ups
Its very good to get my fingers started and ready for higher bpms...
Instead of starting off with high bpms right off the bat
But seems to me that 195bpm and above is out of reach at the moment

But i know that stamina is a thing that takes alot and a lot of hard work to achieve..
It pushes me to the point that I RQ sometimes.... ;-;