forum

Racism during World Cup

posted
Total Posts
show more
stuffycatz
r9k mode and have someone dedicated to moderating the chat.
Zare
it's actually possible to keep a Twitch chat civil, you need around 15 mods who only focus on chat, constantly banning everything stupid. Takes a few streams to take effect so that people start to think before writing, and since we only have 4(?) matches left it's not really worth it I guess
peppy

Lach wrote:

Perhaps next year, an embedded page on the website with a stream from some non-twitch broadcaster would be a better idea. Advertise it on the OWC thread, and in announcements etc. Probably won't get the same publicity.
Amazing idea.
Ciunek
Obviously people will NOT talk in English during international events such as this, mostly because they don't know it well. Also seriously, the twitch audience is mostly shit and you shouldn't pay attention to most of them (especially when it's country vs country, obviously national hate is going to spread there like a wild disease). Either that or get mods on the channel in every popular language and have them ban the idiots, though that can be hard with the amount of spam per second sometimes...
Marcin
Due to the amount of people watching stream, slow mode helps NOTHING.

Stream chat is so fast, that trying to keep up with it is almost impossible.
silmarilen
get a bot in there then
Marcin
We already have nightbot - he is good at cleaning chat from really random shit (doge ascii, hitler ascii, etc.), but bots can't understand sentences *sadly*
Soarezi

Marcin wrote:

We already have nightbot - he is good at cleaning chat from really random shit (doge ascii, hitler ascii, etc.), but bots can't understand sentences *sadly*
you can add words, for example the n word and such, but then again it wouldn't stop people from using alternative words.

just get alot of mods there, who constantly watch the chat and not afk
Zare

Soarezi wrote:

just get alot of mods there, who constantly watch the chat and not afk
this works

also, it usually is possible to follow the chat, the only occasions were that probably isn't doable anymore is after a map when somone SS'd and carried the team and won by 10 points or something
Liiraye

Soarezi wrote:

peppy wrote:

Is it me or has twitch trained people to talk shit in chat 24/7? There's no hope on that site. I think it has something to do with the emotes and hopeless moderation system.
You should put like 2-5 minute slowmode on, and in extreme cases put subscribers only on.
Also, you should be able to let only people with facebook accounts connected to their twitch accounts talk in there, it wouldn't stop it completely but it would help a bit, i think.
What about us normal non-sociopaths without facebook?
RaneFire

Liiraye wrote:

What about us normal non-sociopaths without facebook?
We don't talk anyway.
Coffee Hero
Never hurts to have more mods.
Soulg
People have ended up thinking that "trolling = flaming" so they go and try to make everyone sad by insulting them so they can be leet trollz0r.

I'd say to just disable chat completely but there are probably quite a bit of people who would have genuine questions (such as non-osu players wholike how the game looks
)
AmaiHachimitsu
If the answers for those questions would be genuine as well...............
Cyclohexane
Please don't look at twitch chat, look at the gameplay instead
kouzuki_karen
Exactly...

Sad when people have to talk about political tensions between countries using Chinese on something like osu as well...
Dexus
It's a tidal wave of stupid being in that twitch chat. Honestly twitch isn't bad when you've got a handful of dedicated viewers. When it comes to large events and lots of viewers though, it's a nightmare.

Mr Color wrote:

It wouldn't hurt to have more dedicated moderators.
Liiraye

Mr Color wrote:

That's pretty freaking impossible when the commentators go afk forever or don't talk, not to mention the 5+ min pauses between each map being played. Are we supposed to silently look at the pulsating osu logo for that time or try to conversate/read a pile of what seems to be never ending interesting opinions (but is mostly shit)?

No, I think measures need to be taken against this sewage dump of a chat.
PlasticSmoothie
I moderate a few streams on twitch, and after a period of aggressive modding twitch chat usually starts being mediocre instead of shit. Get more mods, preferably also some that understand Chinese/Korean/whatever languages that usually get spoken there so that offensive stuff in those languages can get a timeout/ban too.
get mods that aren't afraid to tell people they're being retards (Of course not in an offensive manner) instead of just silently sitting there and banning everything. Having them be visible in chat usually helps a bit.
List some basic chat rules in the stream description so mods can easily refer to them when swinging the banhammer.

No amount of modding will make it a good chat when there's 3k+ viewers, but it can make it less shit.
Purple

peppy wrote:

Is it me or has twitch trained people to talk shit in chat 24/7? There's no hope on that site. I think it has something to do with the emotes and hopeless moderation system.
Nothing new here, preteens will continue to act like preteens and grown-up bigots will continue to act like bigots. It's not really the website that is at fault, its the trolls themselves and their lack of manners/maturity/education/sanity/loving parents. Animosity shields you from any kind of repercussion, and some people will only behave with such threat of punishment in place. This is why Youtube keeps asking it's users to use their real name.

I think a combination of Facebook linking, slow down and active moderation should do the trick.
PLAYER WITH RSI
Don't even pay attention to the twitch chat it's full of cancer and meme spouting kids.
TakuMii
I also think that it'd be a good idea to get more dedicated moderators and reinforce rules more aggressively. Although it won't get rid of all of the problems, it will make the chat a better (or at least more tolerable) place.
Me168
The problem is that if you ban all the bad words, people will find words to use in place of that. It would almost be better to not have chat in the first place.

I don't even want to deal with a bunch of little a-holes (Excuse my language) eating Doritos and playing Call of Duty, so I generally avoid the chat anyways. The breaking point for me with it was when Cookiezi went online during one of the matches and everybody was freaking out in the comment box and everybody left to go watch him play.
me3lingual
I just hide the chat section when I'm watching something on twitch. I like the nice big screen, and seeing all the hateful speech just puts me off. So, until it is more heavily monitored, I am content with watching it full screen. Especially when there are so few matches remaining (for this portion of the World Cup, since Taiko will be starting up in the next two months).
Gigo
Generally, a 2 (or more) minute slowmode will help reduce the spam and make the chat more readable. When it's easier to read, it will be easier for the moderators to ban all the retards.
silmarilen
slowdowns are no use in a channel with over 5k viewers (almost 8k peak during quarter finals, imagine finals), you should just instantly ban everybody that cancers in there
neurosis
looks just like average #osu to me
Soulg

Me168 wrote:

The problem is that if you ban all the bad words, people will find words to use in place of that. It would almost be better to not have chat in the first place.

I don't even want to deal with a bunch of little a-holes (Excuse my language) eating Doritos and playing Call of Duty, so I generally avoid the chat anyways. The breaking point for me with it was when Cookiezi went online during one of the matches and everybody was freaking out in the comment box and everybody left to go watch him play.
that's kind of a rare case though. he's the best, most popular player in the game and he already didnt play much anymore. so him getting on was a big deal, and most people watching OWC weren't vested in it, just something to throw your spare time at.
Weed
i agree
Topic Starter
KevinL337
I didn't know you could hide twitch chat. I was going to say its kind of hard not reading it when I'm waiting for the next song to start. I've seen some some really big channels where its subscribers only who can post, and the chat is a lot more mature when they do that. Does having more mods cost money?
Soulg
its harder to find people that will volunteer to moderate the chat (or that are able to, I know that for me the matches happen in the middle of the day where I have classes etc)
Oinari-sama
Yes it's a bliss to be able to hide the chat. I just use the tiny arrow on top right to hide chat and expand the video at the same time. Full respect for mods who have no choice but to man their posts.

I think Lach's idea is great. Just need a service like twitch that auto saves the stream on server.
Martinawa
If I want to read people talking about OWC like civilizated people I read #owc while I see the matches. I really don't care about twitch. Too much people speaking their native languages which I don't understand. I don't even care if they are saying good or bad things or just spamming.
Zeraph

Mamoru Senpai wrote:

tbh, it's quite annoying that people refuse to try english tho. Just spamming everything with korean and chinese is annoying as fuck.
you are a flaming fucking idiot.
buny
Why not just use #owc?

I mean, if anything peppy could just embed the stream onto a separate page specifically for owc and add a panel for the web IRC, and have everyone linked to that page instead from the client. It'd probably be more civil as there'd be a more daring consequence for inappropriate behaviour and players that don't actually play the game won't be able to spam the chat with nonsense.
Mamoru Senpai

Zeraphlol wrote:

Mamoru Senpai wrote:

tbh, it's quite annoying that people refuse to try english tho. Just spamming everything with korean and chinese is annoying as fuck.
you are a flaming fucking idiot.
Ya, so flaming and racist to be honest. Better insult me.
It's just my opinion.

We used #german to talk about the games in our language. Sure, some doesn't but
it doesn't flood the entire chat with kanji and stuff, so that noone could read anything anymore.
I'm not a native english speaker, but I would still try to talk with people in english.

And now, grow up kid. What is this forum for when people can't tell their opinion.
Weed
This thread is slowly becoming twitch chat
buny
I do agree that the owc chat should strictly be kept english as the commentating and language are all english too.

I'd say make more language-specific channels opened for owc.
neurosis

bewaredrev wrote:

This thread is slowly becoming twitch chat
the forums and main chat channels have always been that
Tsukimi Luna

Soulg wrote:

that's kind of a rare case though. he's the best, most popular player in the game and he already didnt play much anymore. so him getting on was a big deal, and most people watching OWC weren't vested in it, just something to throw your spare time at.
Im not sure, but I dont think its a big deal....
Cookiezi quits?
Cookiezi this
Cookiezi that
everything cookiezi
Am i the only one that never gives a single f***

Not flaming but.....
I hate watching kids spam the chat about cookiezi, WWW, Silvia blablalbla,
As if he is some sort of higher being that they have to worship him
Thats why i resort to ignoring them since a year ago..
Closing #osu everytime i launch osu! is worth it too

And I dont multiplayer with random pubs anymore because of this "racism"
Happens sometimes
Inb4 private room forever

I remember that day cookiezi apparently got lolipopped....
almsot every chat when apeshit, the moment i log in i see 4~5 people going apeshit already..

Why cant they feel happy for someone that actually found something more constructive to do instead of playing osu! 24/7
You cant earn money by playing osu!

that was a bit of a derailment......

But then i dont know how typing in other languages in a public chat is racist...
They would probly think you are racist because you keep typing in English expecting them to understand English
Lets say for example US vs China...
Wont the Chinese people think that its unfair that none of the commentators speak Chinese?
Are they only allowed to watch and not allowed to say anything just because they cant understand a word of English?
But then again i might be wrong too...
This is just my personal opinion

Best thing you can do is just watch the stream and not care about the chat.....
There's an #owc for a reason
show more