forum

How do you do Hidden?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Killer Juice
I've been playing Osu for a while now (lvl 41 and rank 120k). I can do most hard 5 star songs and a few 5 star insane songs. However, I cannot even do a half star song with hidden on. I can never hit a note, I don't understand how it works. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
GoldenWolf
Listen the music
Listen harder
Listen how the circles are connected to the music

Also practice a lot
usa
Also turn on note trails harder
Soulg
Instead of having a hitcircle, the note fades at the speed of the hit circle, and then the hit happens while it's completely gone.

It's harder to play hidden at lower AR, so just keep practicing it or get better at general reading and you'll be able to play it
Xcrypt
Not exactly an expert on HD but this is my guess how people do it subconciously:

1) listen to music
2) you can know the exact timing without any feeling for music too. Make a mental note of when the note becomes visible on screen and calculate the time between the previous note that became visible. This is exactly how long you have to wait to hit that note when you get to the note before it. While this seems complicated, overtechnical and unnatural when I'm explaining it now, I can swear it feels natural for me and I don't have to really calculate anything anymore because it's all subconcious patterns now.
3) play the song a lot and try to memorize it. Probably not the best way to practice HD, but it should definitely help increase your score on a map quite a bit.
nya10
To do hidden well is to listen to the song, really it will works, especially for easier level. Yes all of the mentioned tips all already been suggested, hit the circles when it already fades.

Maybe you want to try to see auto plays hidden, and see how it works, then try it yourself. :)
Zalaria
Basically what Xcrypt said. And watching autoplay with hidden seems to help a bit. I use hidden in almost every map I play now because I've gotten use to finding the rhythm of songs (plus approach circles distract me for some reason...)
strikeR

Killer Juice wrote:

"I've been playing Osu for a while now (lvl 41 and rank 120k)"
no
EcksDee

Killer Juice wrote:

I've been playing Osu for a while now (lvl 41 and rank 120k). I can do most hard 5 star songs and a few 5 star insane songs. However, I cannot even do a half star song with hidden on. I can never hit a note, I don't understand how it works. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
A 5 star insane with hidden is easier than a 0.5 star with hidden. (Of course ignoring the fact that the star system is not perfectly indicative of difficulty).
kouzuki_karen
Play the song without HD first. When you are confident about the position and timing of the objects, you can try it with HD on. And yes, knowing the song really well helps
Setsuen
1.Listen to music
2.Have good sight reading skill to read when the next hitcircle is before it disappear
3.Hit the hitcircle when you feel the time is right to hear a hitsound(Unless there's no hitsound.... which then you have to base it on your memory on AR to "predict" when you should press it)

Step 1 & 3 are important to ME at least, and I'm one of those poor people who can FAIL Hard songs W/O HD...
Dexus
You get good at HD by not playing HD. You'll get to a point where when you switch hidden on it wont make a difference. Except low low AR, but by today's standards that's a gimmick you wont need to learn as it wont reward you in any way (except for actually being good at this game). Or you could do what everyone seems to do and leave hidden on 24/7 and use Double time and hard rock 24/7 as well.

Really though just play more. There's no magic to anything in this game.
Mystrian_old

Setsuen wrote:

1.Listen to music
2.Have good sight reading skill to read when the next hitcircle is before it disappear
3.Hit the hitcircle when you feel the time is right to hear a hitsound(Unless there's no hitsound.... which then you have to base it on your memory on AR to "predict" when you should press it)

Step 1 & 3 are important to ME at least, and I'm one of those poor people who can FAIL Hard songs W/O HD...
Also helps to have semi transparent hitcircles ( for sliders).
G0r
Black the background out and use a good skin with some transparency to it, but still enough color to see where everything is. Large numbers help too. I think that you may need to gain more skill at rhythm finding, though, since it sounds like your skill level is a bit low to be doing HD right now, from what you said.
Arcanine
1. play song without hidden
2. carefully look at how fast circles fall
3. listen to the music
4. turn on hidden
5. ???
6. success
nya10
For me, you will be sucessful at playing hidden when you download new beatmaps randomly and just playing hidden well there (without playing no mod first) (except for those hidden which has many traps) , goodluck anyway in your journey to learn hidden ~
Da Holy One
I have a custom skin that I put together although I dont understand it very well as I just took pieces from everywhere until it worked. Does anyone know how I can mod my skin to be more transparent?
Almost

Da Holy One wrote:

I have a custom skin that I put together although I dont understand it very well as I just took pieces from everywhere until it worked. Does anyone know how I can mod my skin to be more transparent?
You edit the hitcircle file.
darkmiz

Almost wrote:

Da Holy One wrote:

You edit the hitcircle file.
and the hitcircleoverlay file