forum

Streaming

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Flat_Stanley
Yeah yeah I know I've made a lot of streaming posts but I only have one question: When learning to stream better, is playing higher bpm songs (170 for me, I can't stream well) better than learning at a slower pace, like starting at 150 then going to 160 as you progressively get better, then 170 etc etc..?
Zare
Do both. play very(!) long 150 BPM streams to improve stamina and conistency, but also play faster streams which you can only keep up for a few circles.
Just make sure you're always reaching your limits, only that way you will be able to break them (or rather, push them higher)
Topic Starter
Flat_Stanley
Also, if you guys wouldn't mind, please link some streaming maps :)
G0r
Playing any kind of streaming map will help your streaming. You wouldn't just practice passing if you played basketball, you'd practice shooting, dunking, dribbling, and whatever else too. You want to use the same methodology in this game; practice everything. Above all, though, make sure it's fun. If you're having a good time, then you'll play more, and that'll give you more overall experience.

I'd also consider that different play styles favor different speeds naturally, so your play style is going to dictate what speed you naturally feel more comfortable streaming at.
RaneFire

G0r wrote:

I'd also consider that different play styles favor different speeds naturally, so your play style is going to dictate what speed you naturally feel more comfortable streaming at.
That's why you need to practice all speeds, slow and fast. Otherwise you have a technique that only works at your fastest pace. Also training your stream accuracy at a slower than normal pace improves your accuracy at faster speeds.
Aqo
jesse1412
Here's a list I made a while back, DT where needed (if needed).

07th Expansion - Eiji Kuinbii [Collapse]
DJ Swan - Beautiful Angel [Another]
SHIKI - Pure Ruby [Another]
KIEN - La Grand Bleu [SHD]
Niko - Night of Fire [Insane]
Chata - Yuujou Pop [Ai]
xi - FREEDOM DiVE [Another]
kors k - Wuv U [dksslqj Style]
dj TAKA - AA [Another]
Toshiyuki O'mori - Justice [Divine]
dj TAKA with NAOKI - Kakumei [Another]
SHK - Identity Part 4 [Another]
Ryu* - Rondo Alla Turca (Ryu* Remix) [Challenging]
Makou - Fermion [Maximum]
Memme - Extreme Fantasy [Hard]
Mizuki Nana - Massive Wonders [Beyond]
Kitsune^2 - Rainbow Tylenol [lol201]
SHK - Weep Irish [Another]
Tatsh feat. Kanako Hoshino - Gekkou [Another]
07th Expansion - lixAxil [Another]
Last Note. - Setsuna Trip (Short Ver.) [Chew 'N Sane]
ChomuP - Gate of Steiner [Insane]
07th Expansion - rog-unlimitation [AngelHoney]
07th Expansion - Rougoku [Insane]
IOSYS - Kitto Mou Hatarakanai [Lunatic]
Camille Saint-saens & FIRST AID - D2 [Maximum]
SYNC.ART'S - Garasu no Kairou [Nightmare]
Comp - Kyoai [Insane]
xi - Parousia [Another]
Rche - Todestrieb [Another]
PokeRemixStudio - Primal Dialga Remix [Vs. Primal Dialga]
ZUN & Ryu* - Second Darkside [Lunatic]
Shounen Radio - neu [Platinum]
Memme - Extreme Fantasy [Insane]
Amane - Midsummer Festival [Lunatteke]
Soulg
^some of those maps are far above 170 bpm but otherwise use that
also: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/158309 extra stage
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/278451 another
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/127846 origin
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/49052
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/75831 another + hyper
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/63893 lunatic
Topic Starter
Flat_Stanley
Also, what position should my fingers be in?
Almost

Evolvation wrote:

Also, what position should my fingers be in?
Whatever feels comfortable.
Topic Starter
Flat_Stanley
I knew somebody was going to say that, what position should my fingers be in to get the fastest streams. I don't want to know what's comfortable, I want to know what the best position is.
Coffee Hero

Evolvation wrote:

I knew somebody was going to say that, what position should my fingers be in to get the fastest streams. I don't want to know what's comfortable, I want to know what the best position is.
That is the best position.
Topic Starter
Flat_Stanley
Then what position is most comfortable? For you at least..
GoldenWolf
The one you're more comfortable with, not someone else's.
boat
position your fingers above the keys you've bound to left and right click in order to press the circles as they appear

this is theoretically the best positioning as it allows you to hit the circles rather than pressing useless keys that don't do anything
Coffee Hero

Evolvation wrote:

Pinky on Q thumb on P
RaneFire

TSC wrote:

Evolvation wrote:

Pinky on Q thumb on P
Very good.

@OP: It's a matter of the most efficient (stamina-wise) and consistent playing position that's comfortable for you. We can't tell you what that is, you have to find it for yourself through practice.
-Chronopolis-
How do you do sliders within streams? I can never figure out their frequency (when there are chains), nor when the streams resumes its normal pace.
G0r
You just keep streaming as if no slider were there. Sometimes you may have to pause momentarily to adjust for the time that the slider takes, but that's normally only the case when the stream switches to pure sliders or for some reason has a long slider.
Swe_Wrestler

boat wrote:

position your fingers above the keys you've bound to left and right click in order to press the circles as they appear

this is theoretically the best positioning as it allows you to hit the circles rather than pressing useless keys that don't do anything
#protip
Almost

-Chronopolis- wrote:

How do you do sliders within streams? I can never figure out their frequency (when there are chains), nor when the streams resumes its normal pace.
Just have to read it. You should try learning to read streams as individual circles instead of a chain anyway.
Xcrypt
Well I'm having a problem with streaming too. I've been trying to get my stamina/consistency up by playing this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyNfc4cA7Y
I am playing it in halftime because my fingers aren't as good as staiains. I've been playing that every day with NF on, 4 times a day for the entire week now.
The second and third play on the same day are all improvents to the one before. The fourth play is usually similar to the third play.
I was able to get a really low amount of misses (but really bad accuracy) on the third/fourth plays every day, however the first two plays are quite painful and it costs me a lot of effort just to be able to keep my fingers streaming for 5 minutes.

What is strange is that each consecutive day, my score, streaming speed, stamina and concistency seem worse than the day before. (With the exception of the second day where my overall performance on that map increased by 10%)

Does this mean this map is bad to practice on, or does it just mean that I fatigued my fingers too much and I need to take a break? I also feel like what suffered most of all from practicing that map is my streaming speed. I am not able to get good scores on mid-high bpm stream maps anymore
RaneFire

Xcrypt wrote:

Well I'm having a problem with streaming too. I've been trying to get my stamina/consistency up by playing this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyNfc4cA7Y
I am playing it in halftime because my fingers aren't as good as staiains. I've been playing that every day with NF on, 4 times a day for the entire week now.
The second and third play on the same day are all improvents to the one before. The fourth play is usually similar to the third play.
I was able to get a really low amount of misses (but really bad accuracy) on the third/fourth plays every day, however the first two plays are quite painful and it costs me a lot of effort just to be able to keep my fingers streaming for 5 minutes.
This is why we don't endorse playing with NF and generally practicing bad accuracy.

Xcrypt wrote:

What is strange is that each consecutive day, my score, streaming speed, stamina and concistency seem worse than the day before. (With the exception of the second day where my overall performance on that map increased by 10%)
Same reason, just the end result.

Xcrypt wrote:

Does this mean this map is bad to practice on, or does it just mean that I fatigued my fingers too much and I need to take a break? I also feel like what suffered most of all from practicing that map is my streaming speed. I am not able to get good scores on mid-high bpm stream maps anymore
No, the map is fine. You aren't fine for the map. You should be playing stuff that you can at least maintain your finger speed, and focus on consistency first. For people without stamina, even 160 BPM can be too much. I trained my stamina/accuracy at this speed for several months. Your fingers are tired yes, but that's not all that happened. If you get that "twitchy uncertainty" while playing which makes you hit stuff early/late and a general loss of accuracy, then you know you did something wrong because you have less control than before. Consistency and technique should be your main focus, speed/stamina training in moderation.
silmarilen

-Chronopolis- wrote:

1/4 slider streams (like the ones in this map) are best played as if they are 1/2 notes, this is pretty hard tho and usually just spamming through them will do fine.
Zare
sliders are 200% easier than circles, assuming you can read them. Always.

having that said, in order to practice reading midstreamsliders, you should play midstreamsliders
buny

Evolvation wrote:

You'll never get far in life if you keep asking to be spoon fed everything.

a lot of people play with 2 keys next to each other i.e z/x, some like to stretch their fingers outwards on the keyboard and some like to have their fingers closer to their palm.
HoriKyoko
Not sure if this is related, but I'm trying out different positions so i can single-tap with my wrist. Can someone give me a deeper insight about what really is single tapping with the wrist and how a position can help to achieve that? :D
buny

lucari386 wrote:

Not sure if this is related, but I'm trying out different positions so i can single-tap with my wrist. Can someone give me a deeper insight about what really is single tapping with the wrist and how a position can help to achieve that? :D
you move your wrist up and down rather than your finger

doesn't really help with streaming
Tsukimi Luna
Progressively....

You would want to prioritize accuracy over speed

on another note
I think that playing autopilot will train your accuracy..
Because autopilot forces you to make accurate hits or miss.
you have to be very accurate when u play autopilot

I use that to train my fingers since my tablet is broken right now...
Its proven to be really really useful