forum

spinners with mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Roricon
There are probably already a ton off topics about the same question but I couldn't find one so I'll ask it again.
What are good working techniques to spin with a mouse. When i get spinners my pointer moves all over the place and i only get 200-250 rpm. I've had more then once that my only miss in a song was a spinner cause i didn't spin it fast enough :o. It's really frustrating if u have a 98% accuracy and are holding fc then there comes a spinner => miss :(. So any tips are welcome :p.
silmarilen
play this map https://osu.ppy.sh/s/2463 and start slowly by making small circles, when you are confident with your movement you increase you speed a litle, untill you can spin 350+ no problem. you should spin using your arm, most of the 400+ spinners just vibrate their arm in a circular motion.
Topic Starter
Roricon
ugh i cant even get over 300 rpm my spinning is so bad -_-
Soulg
keep playing and your spin speed will improve by default
Topic Starter
Roricon
is it normal that after 6.5k playcount i only get 200-250 rpm average?
silmarilen
there is no "normal"
Topic Starter
Roricon
ye :/ i just keep playing ^^
silmarilen
just make sure you make the right movement and it should come automatically
AmaiHachimitsu
Buy me a webcam and I'll record a tutorial.

If not, just watch some videos on yt. There is some special, but easy technique for spinning with mouse but it's hard to explain. It's mostly about the weight distribution and balance.

#edit: ProTip - for right-handed players spinning anti-clockwise is more natural.
Topic Starter
Roricon
:o really i'm righthanded and always spin clockwise going to try to do it counter-clockwise
- Marco -
i do it counter-clockwise
[ Katsu ]
Personally I find spinners that have no skin for the plate meaning that you cant see any feedback from spinning much easier.
Lock your wrist and spin from the elbow down, keep your spin circle as small as possible and try to not make an oval rotation and you'll get higher RPM in no time with a bit of practice! Good luck!
Marcin

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

#edit: ProTip - for right-handed players spinning anti-clockwise is more natural.
Sadly not for me.
strikeR
try to make the circle as the bot(auto)
Topic Starter
Roricon
I'm really getting so pissed from spinners. Atm its the thing i hate most in osu because i really dont get it. In the 2 weeks ive used like 5 different methods to spin and none off them worked for me, then i tought I just have to accept that my spinners arent that good but today i came across the map http://osu.ppy.sh/b/132946&m=0 and everytime i fail at the last spinner even when i have full hp just cause i cant spin fast enough :/. Does anyone know how fast i need to spin to pass it?

edit: could someone link me a vid with a good spinning method because i've played the ievan polka map at least 100 times and i cant get above 300 bpm whatever method i try. Also atm im using a wireless logitech m510(1000 dpi) could using an other mouse help me with getting higher bpm? Cause atm I really dont know what to do :/
Rinku
Hmm weird, I couild spin at around 300 on day one and still do 300-320 even after two months. I'm not too sure how to improve other than spinning as close to the center as possible. I have also seen little to no improvement but am slightly better then you. It probably takes a high play count or drastic strat/dpi change to become faster. Also the song you mentions i think would need to spin atleast 260-280 to pass.

So whats your dpi/mousepad if you have one? That may affect it a little bit.
Topic Starter
Roricon
mouse: 1000dpi(cant change it)
mousepad: http://www.dragonwar.jp/product-detail.php?id=12
And even if i spin for one hour straight using different methods i dont seem to get decent rpm. And atm my arm hurts from spinning that much :/
Setsuen
I started out doing HORRIBLY at spinners(Needed to use spin out in multiplayer) but it improved after a while.
After I switched skins however(Don't ask me how) my spinning improved greatly.(I had better spins using OLD skin template than the new one. Of course It may be different for you)

So there's TWO ways to improve spinning(For me at least)
1.Play longer and get better by default
2.Switch to a different skin
NixXSkate
just record yourself and we'll help.
Kaitou Kid
well when my dpi was around 800 my rpm was 250-300, but now after i dropped to 600 dpi im at 350-400. i think slowing down help, but then again thats just me and im pretty weird XD. also i spin clockwise (right-handed).

Happy Spinning, Friend
Topic Starter
Roricon
vid of hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mK0vUHpMcU (i know its bad quality but my pseye was the only thing i could find in my room to record with)
ingame vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Mli3DRVUc
ingame vid 4 months ago(same mouse): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KurCao7KK-I (random replay i found)
the last vid is my movement till i made this topic 2 weeks ago. But i cant spin clockwise anymore :/
Makan1

tomden wrote:

mouse: 1000dpi(cant change it)
mousepad: http://www.dragonwar.jp/product-detail.php?id=12
And even if i spin for one hour straight using different methods i dont seem to get decent rpm. And atm my arm hurts from spinning that much :/
I think that the grip is really important. from my personal experience, I maintained an average SPM of around 240 for 2 months, but now its like 340-ish. maybe more or less depending on the days. I will try to explain what I do to the best of my abilities. I generally just slightly move my arm forward and turn my wrists. clockwise. doesn't matter which way you spin. but you can also try different table heights and whatnot because that helps me. my shoulders usually tense up and yeah I I sorta did learn to force myself to move my arm forward because I notice I wasn't even going in circles when not doing so. this is mainly because most monitors are widescreen, so you're more used to moving moues left and right instead of up and down, so I really did learn to just push it forward everytime.

also dont use spinners with like that thingy on it that spins when you spin. have a totally blank spinner. its much better (imo)

my mouse is 1600 DPI but that doesn't really matter a whole lot.
Topic Starter
Roricon
I used some diff skins now and I dont feel like it matters.

edit: if i use a spinner like this:http://puu.sh/5CM1l.jpg i do even worse :/
RaneFire

tomden wrote:

vid of hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mK0vUHpMcU (i know its bad quality but my pseye was the only thing i could find in my room to record with)
ingame vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Mli3DRVUc
By your second vid I could already see that the problem is:

Your mouse mat is moving too much.

Find a way to (stick it?) stop it from moving, I personally play on a linoleum surface on top of my desk which doesn't allow anything to move... not my mouse pad, not my tablet... even after hours of play it's still in exactly the same spot, to the millimeter.
Topic Starter
Roricon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKeDaRZEAOA
Doesnt seem to have any effect on my spin speed :(
NixXSkate
There is no way in hell that's 1000dpi. You must have the windows sens under 6/11 or mouse precision on or something.
Also, when you spin, you don't have to tense necessarily. Use the corner of your wrist, around here, and press down on your mousepad. You don't have to press down on the mouse too, that's optional. But for you, I recommend pressing down a bit, but not to the point it causes friction. The problem I see with your spinning is that there's no momentum, so try pressing down with your wrist and using that as sort-of like a pivot. Do not use your forearms or fingers, just your upper arm, maybe some abs. The only work your forearms should be doing is keeping your wrist gripped on the mousepad. I guess try to imagine your scrubbing something with a rag in counter-clockwise circles. It's kinda hard to teach in forums so please PM me or something in-game when I'm around.

PS: Your mousepad isn't up to osu! standards, I recommend the QcK heavy, that won't move for shit.
kleps
1. Buy a tablet.
2. Buy a drill.
3. Attach tablet pen to the drill.
5. Profit??

Make sure to focus on drawing small perfect circles, so you can build up spin motion in your brain, eventually being able to do it precisely at max speed. It will take time to build it up.
RaneFire

Ikki wrote:

1. Buy a tablet.
2. Buy a drill and drill press.
3. Attach tablet pen to the drill... and set the pressed height to 2mm above tablet. Pull it when long spinner comes
5. Profit??
ftfy to a better solution.
Topic Starter
Roricon

NixXSkate wrote:

There is no way in hell that's 1000dpi. You must have the windows sens under 6/11 or mouse precision on or something.
http://puu.sh/5CNBw.png i dont see what should be wrong with my setting :o (never touched the settings from the logitech thingy)
RaneFire
Food for thought:

M510 - not a gaming mouse... will have max speed limits and I know logitech sticks angle-snapping on all of these models which is not your friend when spinning.
Laser - erm, not recommended.
Wireless - not recommended.
Is your mouse pad... rubber? I can't tell from the video but I see some lines... it's weird.

It is mostly down to practice, yes, but having the proper equipment will make it easier to learn. Grab a player who already knows how to spin and he'd probably do it on your mouse, but he sure didn't have to endure all these random variables when learning the muscle memory.
Topic Starter
Roricon

RaneFire wrote:

Food for thought:

M510 - not a gaming mouse... will have max speed limits and I know logitech sticks angle-snapping on all of these models which is not your friend when spinning.
Laser - erm, not recommended.
Wireless - not recommended.
Is your mouse pad... rubber? I can't tell from the video but I see some lines... it's weird.

It is mostly down to practice, yes, but having the proper equipment will make it easier to learn. Grab a player who already knows how to spin and he'd probably do it on your mouse, but he sure didn't have to endure all these random variables when learning the muscle memory.
Yes my mouse pad is rubber is that a problem? And will buying a mouse like a razer deathadder help me improve my spinning? Cause im fine with my current mouse for playing osu except for the spinners and buying a new mouse isnt really cheap, so I dont want to buy a new mouse unless it would actually help me.

-Rinku- wrote:

Also the song you mentions i think would need to spin atleast 260-280 to pass.
You sure about that? Cause i just played the map in mp with a friend and he said he was spinning the whole time above 290 rpm and also failed when he had full hp at the start of the spinner.
RaneFire
Even if you do decide to get a new mouse, you will still have to practice. There's no shortcut so I reckon you should just analyse your spinning and find out what the actual problem is. It may not be any of those things.

I'm gonna go with technique though. Your technique does not look optimal to me. It could be your arm angle/position, the pressure applied to your wrist, or how much you have tensed your upper arm, too much conscious decision... Who knows... I just know that when I spin, I'm just shaking my arm, but barely moving. Try finding an optimal position for your arm as a whole, angle, height, everything and just shake your arm until you get the motion right. We can't tell you what's best, because that's personal preference.

I for one, wish I could spin as fast as I can stir a cup of coffee/tea. One day I realised I was doing it really fast, and I just stopped and couldn't stir the cup anymore. It's like that story of a millipede... another insect asked the millipede how it walked with 1000 legs, for the first time in its life the millipede started to think about it and couldn't walk at all anymore.

So yeah, but in this case, you do need to apply both sides of your brain.
Topic Starter
Roricon
So basically I just have to keep playing and stop focussing so hard on spinners. Cause know when a spinner appears im like k i have to do this good and i really try to pay attention on how i move my mouse etc. I'll just ignore the maps i cant pass due to long spinner for now.
NixXSkate
I actually disagree somewhat... I wouldn't stop focusing on practice until you realize what you're doing wrong or a proper technique, because it doesn't always come naturally. I told you, you could PM me in-game >:(
Topic Starter
Roricon

NixXSkate wrote:

I actually disagree somewhat... I wouldn't stop focusing on practice until you realize what you're doing wrong or a proper technique, because it doesn't always come naturally. I told you, you could PM me in-game >:(
K I'll pm you when i see you on. Really thanks for all the help.
show more