forum

Survival Mod

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +92
Topic Starter
Raiko
I was just playing osu! when I had the idea of a possible "Survival" mod. This mod should loop a map/song over and over, forcing the player to play it until he/she fails the map, no pausing allowed. This mod should be an unranked mod, or have it's own rankings for each beatmap based on the amount of time the player survived. I believe this mod should be added into osu! because it would be an excellent, fun mode for the game that I believe many players would enjoy. Please also remember to take into consideration Mania, Taiko, and Catch the Beat players. Thank you for your time!

Edit: I noticed this is a duplicate thread yeah, I attempted to find an original thread for this idea, but I'm really bad at navigating the forums /.\ sorry!

Edit: About the idea suggested of your lifebar not draining, only going down when you miss a note and not being able to recover it, this sounds like a good idea, although I like the idea of the songs normal lifedrain osu! style, this also seems like a great idea for peppy and the other admins to consider if they look at this idea and consider implementation, good thinking!

I also like the idea of having a mod where it will play random beatmaps back to back, this sounds great and fun, I'd love to play on this mode, it'd be good practice! It doesn't have much to do with this mod idea, but once you failed the beatmaps would stop playing, so it could be a survival mode of sort. If the beatmaps were chosen randomly by the game though it would be a bit faulty, you might end up playing maps too easy or too hard for you, making it either boring or impossible, if you could make a chart and have it play through every song in the chart back to back ( in order or shuffle!) I think that would be an awesome idea! Keep the constructive feedback coming!
Compa
Sounds good o3o I probably won't use it though
Oinari-sama
Hmm... duplicate I guess? t/112618
Will3x
Listening to the same song over and over again.. nty
deadbeat

Oinari-sama wrote:

Hmm... duplicate I guess? t/112618
sadly it is, but since people never wait for posts and throw stars left right and center without so much as a second thought, this request has more s.p. so i'll keep this one and dupe your thread :(
Starry-
ouo
I'd like this, something such as the speed increasing on each loop etc.
Leaderboards could still use points and the such.
:3 It'd be awesome ;u;
Rio-
I don't think that I'll use this mod often If It's got implemented... But still A good idea though~
uzzi
This is a a pretty cool idea. I probably wouldn't use it often, but I can see myself having a lot of fun during multi's with this.
FrzR

Will3x wrote:

Listening to the same song over and over again.. nty
I'm neutral on this idea. >_<
geckogates
i dunno about the repeating part but it would be cool to have high scores even if you fail.
maybe display how far you made it instead of score :)
Bites
I would imagine also including a feature that would prevent your life bar from draining, but also would prevent you from regaining life - you can only take a certain number of misses before you would be out! I may make a separate feature request for this, if you disagree.
- M a o n -
This would be nice, especially if you want to practice getting better at something.

But it would also be nice if, instead of playing the same song over and over again, you could choose to have it constantly play random maps from back-to-back without stopping. This could make it more challenging because it forces you to quickly adjust to the new BPM.
Kaeru
I don't want to play the same song over and over again.

Why not an endless mode where you can select more than one song (or select songs by tags/group, for instance "Nightcore" would give me all the Nightcore themed songs)? Then score, combo and accuracy can carry over and you fail when either you accumulate a certain number of misses or your bar depletes.
CTS_NINJA
I think this would be good idea if for every loop it sped up a bit.
FrzR
I've thought about this in a while. This would be nice if it has a time interval between loops in order for the player to prepare at least for a bit. :D
Topic Starter
Raiko
Fr33z3r: The point is to play until you die, so giving you time to prepare MAY defeat the purpose... I have mixed feelings over this idea.
Isopach
this would be fun... I'd like to play 15min marathon songs over and over until my hands die

Also, if you play it back to back, I think it can be ranked? Since no gameplay is affected besides yourself (not part of gameplay) getting tired
Espionage724
I'd be interested in such a mod.

If you've played Rhythm Heaven, you're probably familiar with the Endless Remix; basically it loops through the same 5 minigames and plays the same song mix, but it increases in speed with set intervals (after every 30 points?).
xasuma
It should have a scoreboard to see who lasted longest on the songs. But just for fun I think, i like the idea of keeping it unranked.
xasuma
I would like for this to allow you to set something before you star the song:
Something like:
- Permanent drain = true/false
- Play until = 'x' misses / fail.

I think this would be great for training consistency on a map. To see how many times I could pass the map before I missed 3 times for example. Or how long your health bar can stay up with permanent drain.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the other idea you mentioned, I would like it to have:

- The song you pick is the starting star difficulty.
- Pick a limit star difficulty
- (I would like to pick an aproach rate) but this is just me maybe.
- Pick a song limit
- Every song after the first one will be randomly picked and increasingly harder depending on the range you specified and how many maps you specified.

Edit: Wow I just realized I double posted. I didn't see I had posted on this a while back, sorry about that.
Rinzee
I could see this being a really interesting mod. Eg. watching top players compete for who can survive the longest on crazy songs that get progressively harder, or having fun with friends in multiplayer. This would obviously only be for bragging rights; If hypothetically a separate scoreboard would be added for this mod, it would have to only be to show who made it furthest and how hard it was at the end etc., you would not be able to gain ranks or pp from doing it.

If this is not too much work to code, i would definitely want to see it added to the game. :P

Edit: Also, being able to set a few rules & conditions for the song as mentioned by the guy above me sounds pretty sweet.