forum

Ryouji Yoshitomi - Enter SR388

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 4:05:07 PM

Artist: Ryouji Yoshitomi
Title: Enter SR388
Source: Metroid II - Return of Samus
Tags: main hall corridor
BPM: 112.5
Filesize: 3158kb
Play Time: 00:59
Difficulties Available:
  1. Easy (0.9 stars, 39 notes)
  2. Gens (4.63 stars, 99 notes)
  3. Insane (4.98 stars, 173 notes)
  4. MetalMario (4.62 stars, 83 notes)
  5. Normal (2.6 stars, 71 notes)
Download: Ryouji Yoshitomi - Enter SR388
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
I noticed a severe lack of Metroid beatmaps on osu!, and I intend to rectify it. All we had so far was "All The World In One Girl", which, while a nice song, I couldn't even tell was remixed from a Metroid song, and still can't tell which one it is. Anyway, one of the few beatmappable tracks from Return Of Samus is here, and it's really an underlooked gem.
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
For starters, as my first map, I've gotten some help but I really would like help especially in the areas of what position to put the difficulty and HP drain sliders at. AIMod only complains about the gunfire slider stack at the end of the first loop, and I think though unorthodox it's still good to stay.

I'm getting some skinning help from DrKelexo and Soaprman has expressed interest in making a Taiko Oni. One thing I've been unable to find is sound effects from Metroid II; google-fu is not enough. I'm looking for the damage, dead, and item get sounds.
Soaprman
I enjoy this song and want to see this map succeed.

I'll probably get around to making that Taiko Oni sometime!

Have a star from me as well.
Xgor
Yay Metroid :D

First of all... i wouldn't call this difficulty hard (it's more like Normal)
It would be nice if the circle size would be a bit bigger....
I also think the slider tick rate sounds better with 2 instead of 4 but that's maybe just me...
Oh, and about the sliders at 0:43:226 - 0:51:226 i suggest to have 4 instead of 8 and then have a reverse arrow on them (because it sounds much better that way)

Anyway, Great map for being your first ;)
*star*

(Also, if you though this post was useful,you can you give me a kudosu by pressing the give kudosu link on my post :) )
Topic Starter
Yoshi348

Xgor wrote:

Yay Metroid :D

First of all... i wouldn't call this difficulty hard (it's more like Normal)
Yeah, I thought it was more of a Normal at first, but got advice that it should be a Hard. The last streams aren't really Normal but then again it's sort of a final thing. I'll switch it to normal for now and see what the consensus is.

It would be nice if the circle size would be a bit bigger....
Flicked it up a switch and it looked good. Should make it more Normally.

I also think the slider tick rate sounds better with 2 instead of 4 but that's maybe just me...
Tried it, it seems better that way yes.

Oh, and about the sliders at 0:43:226 - 0:51:226 i suggest to have 4 instead of 8 and then have a reverse arrow on them (because it sounds much better that way)
Ooh, yeah, I had worried about that. What I'm trying to go for here is the sliders spider-balling around the background, without it being one continuous slider because huge sliders like that belong on Easy. It does sound kinda weird though. I'm looking to see if there's a better solution, but I might have to compromise on something here. When it's properly skinned the sliderball will be spider-ball Samus so...

Anyway, Great map for being your first ;)
*star*

(Also, if you though this post was useful,you can you give me a kudosu by pressing the give kudosu link on my post :) )
Thanks! And no problem
blissfulyoshi
Try offset: 550 (not really good with offset though)

Easy:
SPOILER
The spacing in this difficulty is rather cramp. Most players will end up waiting in the same spot for a long time for the next note. Even new players do not need that much time to hit the next note. I advise you either up your slider velocity or up your distance snap multiplier.

Normal mod:
00:13:35 (1) - y does this not start at the same location that the white half circle does
00:44:82 (1,1) - long sliders like these are rather boring, so I advise you map this section with shorter sliders and circles instead

Normal:
SPOILER
Normal mod:
00:43:22 (1,2,3,4) - same as easy's 00:44:82 (1,1)
00:57:09 (2,3,4) - The timing difference between 2,3,4 and the spacing between these notes threw me off. I advise you place
00:59:22 (5) - you're are not allowed to have a slider where the repeat sign is not visible
01:28:02 (1) - place this further from the white 4
01:42:94 - From here onwards, the hitsound volume is too loud. I advise you create a inherited timing section and lower the volume here.
01:58:95 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) - this is too hard for a normal

Combo mod:
00:29:89 (1) - remove new combo to be consistent with easy and your comboing pattern
00:38:42 (1) - ^

This difficulty was pretty boring with the same patterns repeated many times in a row. I advise you try to differentiate the patterns a bit.

Since there are a lack of technical flaws. Star.
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
Did most of your changes. With the long sliders I was going for the sliderball "spiderballing" around the background image, as a nod to the game, but given that no one at all got that I guess it's probably best to kick that idea to the curb. I definitely tried to mix up it a little more.

The one thing I didn't really do was "00:57:09 (2,3,4) - The timing difference between 2,3,4 and the spacing between these notes threw me off. I advise you place" as (not only is the sentence incomplete whoops :? ) I like the idea of Samus firing off the sliders there, and I've had someone else tell me it was very readable. If I get a lot more complaints about it I'll consider it though. I did change (5) so that the repeat arrow was visible, though... I didn't even THINK about that.

One thing though; for some reason whatever I did to Normal I made it so that the the brightness goes up a bit whenever you finish a combo most of the time. It's hard to describe but it's really distracting and I don't even have a clue what is causing it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I probably overdid the volume change, but I really can't judge that very well.
XepherX3
nice map

i like insane really tricky :lol:

starred

:!: :idea: maybe grayscale the spinner also :idea: :!:
Gens
Ouch ouch the mp3 :(

I amplified the mp3 abit. It should be better this way.
[attachment=0:3ed16]03 - Enter SR388.mp3[/attachment:3ed16]

I will try to find an even BETTER mp3 though, there must be something you can use. (There are still some horrible clicks and stuff)

Also, can I make a difficulty? Seems like you want a Hard version :)
I haven't checked the map itself, but I'll do it soon.

EDIT: I forgot something.

New offset should be 600. Try to use a different filename, so users that already downloaded this know there was a mp3 change (Don't forget to change it in the .osu too). And after that, just Full Submit.
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
No problem. Thanks for the help.
Gens
Ooops look what I made

[attachment=0:499c2]Ryouji Yoshitomi - Enter SR388 (Yoshi348) [Gens].osu[/attachment:499c2]
Xgor
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Topic Starter
Yoshi348
I'm not seeing the spinner change on Easy, really... my way seems to fit the music better. I still want to keep the firing from Samus' gun segement on Normal. Good call on Insane though, I totally forgot to check that after getting the amplified MP3. Also with the grayscaling. I used the images you have and am working with DrKelexo again on the spinner stuff... but it's not quite ready yet. I'll wait to update the map until then.
anonymous_old
Suggestions, not orders!~

easy
SPOILER

00:13:349 : Make this slider repeat one more time.

norrmal
SPOILER
no visible faults

gens
SPOILER

00:18:734 : This beat is unnecessary.

insane
SPOILER

00:19:749 (1,2,3) : These beats are too far apart.
00:41:883 : This should be a beat instead of a slider.

A very nice map. I hope this gets ranked.
GbL
[Easy]

Great.

[Normal]

00:59:21 (5) - ONLY AT SLIDER FINISH (01:00:28): Remove clap and add finish.

[Gens]

Awesoome!

[Insane]

00:18:41 (6) - New combo
00:22:68 (5) - ^
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
Didn't take all the suggestions, but I did take quite a few. Thanks.
eee
[Easy]
huff, it's fine

[Normal]
00:56:01 (1,2,3,4,5) - I highly doubt this is allowed, maybe it is, but in my opinion, sliders shouldn't be stacked/hidden like this. The first 2 are noticeable, but the last is just pretty hidden

[Gens]
Offset and BPM are different than that of the other difficulties
I like this one (not sure what the timing should be though, maybe this one's off, idk)

[Insane]
00:40:28 (6) - don't you think this is hidden as well :/ you may want to ask somebody else first, it's that it seemed hidden for me from the speed of those before it.
those 1/8 sliders are kinda cool... :|

good, hardly found things, I'll star
Gens
Ooops... Now that I look at it, maybe I overdid the mp3 change...

Also, I need to look at this beatmap too >.>;
Topic Starter
Yoshi348

eee wrote:

[Normal]
00:56:01 (1,2,3,4,5) - I highly doubt this is allowed, maybe it is, but in my opinion, sliders shouldn't be stacked/hidden like this. The first 2 are noticeable, but the last is just pretty hidden
Well, that's probably enough complaints about that section to get over my attachment to it. Changed.

eee wrote:

[Insane]
00:40:28 (6) - don't you think this is hidden as well :/ you may want to ask somebody else first, it's that it seemed hidden for me from the speed of those before it.
Hmm, now that you mention it maybe, but I'll wait on other's opinions. I can't even begin to pass this difficulty myself so :D

eee wrote:

those 1/8 sliders are kinda cool... :|

good, hardly found things, I'll star
Thanks!
Mismagius
Easy
00:13:34 (1) - I think 1/6 can be used here(at 00:13:79) to revert.
00:15:48 (1) - ^, revert at 00:15:92
00:19:74 (1) - ^, revert at 00:20:19

Gens
awesome

Normal
1 tick rate

00:09:48 (2) - renember what i said for easy
00:11:61 (2) - ^
00:13:74 (2) - ^

Insane
great

mm201
Offset: 600
BPM: 112.500

I really didn't like the clusterfuckiness of Insane. Other difficulties were good.

I'm-a just leave this here:

Download: Ryouji Yoshitomi - Enter SR388 (Yoshi348) [MetalMario].osu
Gens

MetalMario201 wrote:

Offset: 600
BPM: 112.500
Ouch, I forgot to tell you about the BPM too :(
Good thing we got the same. :P

I seriously need to take a (more detailed) look at this...
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
Thanks for the offset and especially the difficulty, I really liked it.
mm201
Where did my star go? o__o *re-adds*
whymeman
Remember, some of the errors posted are suggestions, not directions. Edit to what you see fit.

Non-Detailed Modding v.1.0 Go~

[Normal]

00:11:66 (2,3) - The spacing was forced here. (2) and (3) is cramped up together.
00:16:33 (3) - Bottomed out of the window.
00:28:33 (1,2) - The spacing here is a bit odd here for a "Normal" because of that delay. Keep an eye on this.
00:49:13 (3,1) - Not evenly lined up.

[Insane]

00:35:53 (4,5,6,7,8) - Looks slightly bent.
00:56:06 (1) - Not sure about how the note is under the slider even though it is kinda fading out at that point (but the note appears before the slider ends). You could do a horizantal flip with that note and the notes after it and it should be easier to deal with since the end of the map is right there to avoid any issues about it.

Overall: The map seems good so far though you may want to double check the spacing for [Normal] and [Insane] to make sure its okay (and the other difficulties too to make sure as well). Interesting skin as well though the combobursts might need to be slightly resized. Also i've noticed the scorebar wasn't skinned to fit the monochrome theme though not saying you have to, but it could make it look more complete. One more thing to point out is that the spinner looked slightly wobbly. If you can get that balanced out, that would be cool. Forum PM me when the fixes are done and i'll check to see that if it can be stared.
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
Did all that, except I'm not sure we've fixed the wobbly spinner here. If it's not fixed, I'm not sure exactly how to fix it so I'll need some help.
whymeman
[Normal]

00:13:39 (1,2,3) - This is a bit bunched up compared to 00:11:26 (1,2,3). Also, 00:14:73 (4) is not as close to (2) compared to the first 2 set of notes.
00:15:53 (1,2,3) - This is also bit bunched up compared to 00:11:26 (1,2,3)
00:41:13 (2,3,4) - ^

Just some slight hicups with the distance snap to look into here.

[Insane]

00:13:39 (1,2) - A bit too close together. Just needs a small notch more apart.
00:16:06 (5,6) - ^
00:33:13 (5,6) - ^
00:36:86 (1,2) - ^
00:40:59 (7,8) - ^

Just some slight hicups with the distance snap to look into here as well.

The spinner looks much better now though I didn't mean for you to have the combobursts mirco sized (; o_o). Just some small touch ups needed in the spacing and then it should be fine. Just one more thing to point out is that you forgot the ki-scorebar.png's and the skip-play.png unless you want them the have color.
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
Done, and big thanks.
Shulin
Monochrome, my eyes! :o

Easy

00:57:013 (3) - Some of this is off grid.

Other than that perfect for an easy.

Normal:

I suggest raising the circle size by one tick, [Easy is on max, Normal is in the middle, this is the same size as Insane.]

Nothing else to note, plays well.

MetalMario:

Perfect.

Gens:

Perfection.

Insane:

Seems fine to me.

Here is my star :D
Lokamp
[General]
Offset: 566 for Easy and Normal modes. Don't forget it!

[General 2]
the song's volume between Easy/Normal and MetalMario/Gens/Insane modes is different... try to set an equal volume of the song fol all modes!

Easy
00:17:063 - maybe a new slider here, ending in 00:18:97 (red timing tick)

Normal
It's ok! (read General...)

Insane
Awesome ^^

MetalMario
Sounds fine :3

Gens
Perfect!

A star for this retrò-jewel ^^
Diasios
Green: Suggestions.
Orange: I think you should fix this.
Red: You must fix this.

Starts Suggestions:

All seems ok.

[Easy]

It's ok

[Normal]

It's ok

[MetalMario]

It's ok

[Gens]

Nice :)

[Insane]

00:45:039 (1) - Spacing. This jump is evil
00:48:006 (x) - add a circle

Starred~
Topic Starter
Yoshi348

xxheroxx wrote:

Green: Suggestions.
[Insane]

00:45:039 (1) - Spacing. This jump is evil - Don't know how that happened. Fixed.
00:48:006 (x) - add a circle - Yeah, that works.

Starred~
DJPop
~Easy~
Fine.

~Normal~
00:15:093 (2) - looks weird for me, maybe move right 1 grid? (Lv2)
00:19:079 (1,2,3) - placement... not symmetric
00:21:093 (1) - move down 1 grid (Lv3)

~MetalMario~
Fine.

~Gens~
00:21:093 (1,2,3) - spacings

~Insane~
Fine.

+Star
K-S-O
I would say that some of the arrangements on Insane are hard to follow, but I find it suitable for the difficulty so I won't suggest any changes.
Derekku
[Easy]
00:14:733 - Add a note here?

[Normal]
00:51:079 (1,1) - Starting these on the previous blue tick and extending 1/4th would probably look a little better.

[MetalMario]
Nice.

[Gens]
00:58:047 (6,7) - D: I hate these because sometimes you can't tell which is the slider and which is the circle, but because there's no ticks (that would be missed if not held like a slider), it's still rankable. =x

[Insane]
D: A lot of this is really hard to read and it really confused me tbqh. I really suggest changing the streams to be more readable (aka not overlapping and having 180 degree turns and all that). ._.;
Gens
Just doing a minor recheck:

1. The skin has many elements from the other skin "Elite Beat osu!". You might want as well credit/ask LuigiHann for that. The storyboard is barely visible, too.
  2. mp3 should be cut... I thought you would extend it a bit more when I gave it, but meh. I can modify it again if you want.
  3. My difficulty needs lead-in. Not sure how did I (and everyone else who has modded) skipped that.
  4. Insane should use Normal sampleset, like the other difficulties. Also, the countdown is weird. And I agree with Derekku. D:
0_o
Make the countdown monochrome for MetalMario's diff.

no kudos plz
mm201
A month has so not passed.
show more