Screen size and changing computers

posted
Total Posts
9
Topic Starter
Pengua
I'm forced to play on my laptop for the next week or so but my laptop has a different sized screen than my computer. Same mouse and sensitivity options but because the screen is smaller, I'm not moving my mouse as far for notes. Do I keep playing to save my reading ability or stop until I can use my computer again to preserve my muscle memory? (I'll probably be back on my computer in two weeks)

I tried adjusting the sensitivity in-game but x1.1 is too high and x1.0 is too low.
noJohns
If you'v got a fancy mouse just increase the dpi or try the windoze sensitivity.
Glyph

nihilist wrote:

If you'v got a fancy mouse just increase the dpi or try the windoze sensitivity.
That's not really going to fix this - it may help, but it's unlikely that he can precisely scale the dpi to match his old movements. (I don't have any solutions though, sorry)
darkmiz
depends on the window size rather than screen size
RaneFire
The vertical aspect of your resolution defines your play area. You can set a custom resolution in your username.cfg file to match a new selected DPI, which will mostly require you to play windowed mode so you don't get pixel blur.

I used to play on 550 DPI at 1024x768 window. I changed my settings to 600 DPI and 1280x832.

(New DPI)/(Old DPI)*(Old Res)=(New Res) ...or... (New Res)/(Old Res)*(Old DPI)=(New DPI)

You can get it very close, I just don't fancy using 1280x837 for some reason. But being temporary, do whatever it takes.
Topic Starter
Pengua

RaneFire wrote:

The vertical aspect of your resolution defines your play area. You can set a custom resolution in your username.cfg file to match a new selected DPI, which will mostly require you to play windowed mode so you don't get pixel blur.

I used to play on 550 DPI at 1024x768 window. I changed my settings to 600 DPI and 1280x832.

(New DPI)/(Old DPI)*(Old Res)=(New Res) ...or... (New Res)/(Old Res)*(Old DPI)=(New DPI)

You can get it very close, I just don't fancy using 1280x837 for some reason. But being temporary, do whatever it takes.
That's great and all, but here's the thing:
New DPI = Old DPI
New Res = Old Res
New Screen < Old Screen

darkmiz wrote:

depends on the window size rather than screen size
The old window size is bigger than my current one. I play fullscreen.
RaneFire

Pengua wrote:

That's great and all, but here's the thing:
New DPI = Old DPI
New Res = Old Res
New Screen < Old Screen

darkmiz wrote:

depends on the window size rather than screen size
The old window size is bigger than my current one. I play fullscreen.
So what's the problem? At the top you say everything is the same aside from pixel scale (screen size), and then at the bottom you refer to window size?

Is your problem real or psychological?
TakuMii

Pengua wrote:

/snip
That's great and all, but here's the thing:
New DPI = Old DPI
New Res = Old Res
New Screen < Old Screen
/snip
The old window size is bigger than my current one. I play fullscreen.
You're using the same resolution for osu! on your new screen? The problem is purely psychological then. I use a 20" monitor on my desktop and I have no problems playing on my 11" laptop monitor (aside from the disadvantage from my laptop's lower refresh rate). I guarantee that your "small screen" isn't as small as mine.
Topic Starter
Pengua

YayMii wrote:

- snip-
The problem is purely psychological then. I use a 20" monitor on my desktop and I have no problems playing on my 11" laptop monitor
-snip-
Now that I think about it, that makes sense. For some reason my mouse just feels sluggish on my laptop.
Then again, if you take physical measurements between notes on the same song, the notes on my laptop are closer together yet I'm not moving as far to hit them... dunno, I'll just keep playing until I can get back on my old comp.

RaneFire wrote:

So what's the problem? At the top you say everything is the same aside from pixel scale (screen size), and then at the bottom you refer to window size?

Is your problem real or psychological?
Well, on a physically bigger screen the window is bigger.
Please sign in to reply.

New reply