forum

To tablet players!!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MiDNiGhT2903
Do you use hover or just stay in contact with tablet.
Are there any benefits or disadvantages to both?
Full Tablet
Hover.
It's easier to have control of the pen (touching the tablet would make me do awkward movements) and is less tiring for me; your mileage may vary.
Shozonu
I never even thought about having constant contact with the tablet. It would make it so much harder to move, and the surface of the tablet would get scratched a lot.
NoYzE
Hover like everyone else i have seen using a tablet so far.
I would fear to scratch my tablet or consuming the tip if i would keep contact. haha
But i dont think you can jump very well without hovering.
Oinari-sama
I tap, so it's mostly hovering.
[ Katsu ]
Hover for sure! Contact with the tablet creates resistance to movement.
Topic Starter
MiDNiGhT2903
If I hover I fail like some loser on the street.
I use the smallest area so I can manage jumps properly.
Just that its kinda annoying as I keep scratching my tablet.
Weed
If you try only hovering for a week you should get used it.
Jsdfbn
Hover 99% of the time. I drag for spins, so there's just a giant spiral in the middle of my tablet, I ain't even mad.
Topic Starter
MiDNiGhT2903
How do you hover properly?
pielak213
­
Please
I used to drag my pen but I don't get scratches at all because I bought a cheap and smooth-surfaced screen protector and just tape it on my tablet, so that way I won't get scratches. and then I started to hover for no reason
johandrossi
tapping the tablet helps me to snap and do patterns
koromo

Shozonu wrote:

I never even thought about having constant contact with the tablet. It would make it so much harder to move.
Not really. I drag my pen and my aim is pretty ok, but most people aren't used to it at all so of course it feels "weird". It's all about preference, really.

There are quite a few pro players who drag their pen so there is nothing wrong with that. You should try both hovering and dragging for some time and decide which one works for you the best.
wacats
I hover too. :)

Practice answers every problem I've encountered.
scottyyy
Drag. I bought an iPad screen protector and stuck it on my tablet so it doesn't get scratched.

I can't hover at all. My aim gets all shaky.
Will3x
Hover. Don't drag it's bad.
I used to drag and I ended up buying a new tablet
RaneFire

Will3x wrote:

Erm... what... happened? (dare I ask)

Are we even talking about pen tablets?
Will3x

RaneFire wrote:

Will3x wrote:

Erm... what... happened? (dare I ask)
So after 5 months of dragging my tablet just stopped functioning correctly, I couldn't open anymore applications by tapping on the tablet and it just didn't feel right. The pen nibs burn quickly and the amount of scratches were too damn high (something like a screen protector might have helped..)
It also had some problems connecting to my pc for some reason, I don't know what caused to do this tbh..

so ye it got damaged and had to replace it with a new one.

@scottyyy I had problems switching to hovering as well, but you'll get used to it after a while and stop shaking
Bauxe

Will3x wrote:

So after 5 months of dragging my tablet just stopped functioning correctly, I couldn't open anymore applications by tapping on the tablet and it just didn't feel right. The pen nibs burn quickly and the amount of scratches were too damn high (something like a screen protector might have helped..)
It also had some problems connecting to my pc for some reason, I don't know what caused to do this tbh..

so ye it got damaged and had to replace it with a new one.

@scottyyy I had problems switching to hovering as well, but you'll get used to it after a while and stop shaking
I currently drag, and plan to stay dragging (I have tried switching, but I just prefer dragging to hovering). Sure, the nibs tend to burn out quickly, and it destroys your tablet. But over time, in the same way as you shake less when hovering, you put less pressure on the tablet. My nibs used to last a week, now they last 2 months.
Soarezi
I have dragged for 10 months now, absolutely no problem with anything. You don't have to push the pen with fucking force rofl
koromo

Will3x wrote:

I don't really think dragging was the cause of this. I've been dragging ever since I got my tablet a year and a half ago and my tablet still works flawlessly.

Pen nibs do burn out quickly, but not too quickly either. I'm currently using the last spare nib that came with my tablet, just ordered replacement nibs for the first time and with the pace they burn out at, it'll be another year and a half before I buy a new replacement nibs set.

As for scratches, my tablet doesn't really have any noticeable scratches. It's more like it's all glossy now, but eh, doesn't bother me, I bought it just to play osu.
scottyyy
If you use a screen protector your pen nibs don't even wear down. I've been on the same nib for 2 months and it shows 0 signs of wear whatsoever. Honestly I think if you're gonna drag, a screen protector is mandatory. They're a dollar on ebay for 2, just search iPad screen protector. Your nibs don't wear and your surface doesn't get scratched. Also the smooth feel is nicer imo.
Lyubey
I hover for everything but spinners, so in the middle of my tablet there's a smooth, area that I can spin fast on
Lune Arisa
6 months of dragging, other than the tip, no other problems. Last time I dragged, I threw the damn pen off the window. orz (since my computer table was next to the window)
lyut
I drag for more control in sacrifice for speed but tbh I can move across pretty quickly even with dragging.
Yano
Drag = Less Speed (=more Resistance) more Accuary
Hover= More Speed less Accuary

But I prefer Hover because dragging fast Maps like AR11 Maps is very hard

€: Hovering is a bit faster then dragging because if you hover you can't get blocked by anything
Soulg
not too sure where people are getting that dragging makes you slower. I drag and my speed is just fine (granted im shit at it anyway but it has nothing to do with me dragging)
Novixion
I've personally always hovered because in feel less resistance then dragging. I typically hold my pencils higher though which might be the reason why I hover. My pinky supports the entire stylus. I also play full size but I'm fine with moving around a lot. It mainly depends on how much you practice your style and how used to it you are.
Do not hover if you're using really small tablet area, cuz that's gonna hurt your aim. If your tablet area is larger than 1/4, then you can consider hovering, but I don't really suggest hovering with anywhere less than 1/3 of the tablet area.
https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/2688331/ my post here has a little bit more detailed ideas.