forum

Puella Magi Madoka Magica considered in the Oscars.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Apex_old
untitled
Tekklorn
Holy shit indeed
Mogsy
Fun fact: this isn't the actual nomination list. This is the consideration list, which means that studios put a bunch of money towards submitting them to the Academy for review. Whether something got submitted or not is completely up to the company who holds the rights to the film in North America, and the consideration list isn't always indicative of the film's quality.

The reason Wolf Children (Wolf Children Ame and Yuki) wasn't put up for consideration is due to the sheer amount of money it costs without the potential return on that sort of profit. FUNimation, who released Hosoda's previous film Summer Wars here in North America, put that film into the considerations list. Needless to say, the Academy didn't take as kindly to it as they had hoped, and it was not nominated. They don't want to risk the same financial loss, so the (arguably much more solid) Wolf Children is not going to be on there.

What this says about the nominations list is that Aniplex USA seriously wants this film to be a critical success as well as a financial one (among nerds, really). It's not going to get in simply due to the fact that you have two previous films that the board most likely hasn't seen before this with necessary information to go into this third one. So don't hold your breath on it actually being nominated, it was put in there because Aniplex USA has tons of faith in it.

and I have to say Madoka is Gen Urobichi's worst work when compared to other works, e.g. F/Z, Saya no Uta.
I'd definitely disagree here on a personal basis (have you read Phantom or watched Blassreiter?), because Madoka is definitely on the same level as those two, if not above them (and note that I'm only judging off of the TV series here; no films or spinoff cashgrab manga). Not saying F/Z and Saya no Uta are bad, per se, it's just that Madoka is a solid, intellectually deep and stimulating story that works on many different levels of watching.

tl;dr: This isn't an actual nomination, you guys. This is just a candidate for nomination list. When the actual list of nominees are out, then you'll be able to see if Madoka is really there.
Topic Starter
Apex_old
untitled
The Winner Man
Wolf children isn't there but The Wind Rises is. I do hope it wins because it is Miyazaki's last film and he's been such an inspiring director. It'll be nice if that happens before he retires.
Chainsaw-chan_old
holy fuck knocks.
but seriously some of those other things like turbo. disgusting.
-Hiromi-
They should pick this......
Luna
It was not nominated, so it's out of the running now.
Kaze Tachinu still has a shot tho