forum

left thumb really hurts

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Please
so few hours ago i developed this pain on the joint of my left thumb whenever i try to stream. is this normal or is this a symptom of carpal tunnel? i'm worried :(
PlasticSmoothie
We're not doctors, so we can't tell you.
But if it persists and you're worried, go to one. Just to check =)
GoldenWolf
What PlasticSmoothie said + Any kind of pain in general is bad. If something hurts take a break, if the pain persists, take a longer break AND go see a doctor
Topic Starter
Please

GoldenWolf wrote:

What PlasticSmoothie said + Any kind of pain in general is bad. If something hurts take a break, if the pain persists, take a longer break AND go see a doctor

PlasticSmoothie wrote:

We're not doctors, so we can't tell you.
But if it persists and you're worried, go to one. Just to check =)
right. i'm taking a break for 6 consecutive hours already; still hurts though. might consider going to the doctor if this continues. thanks guys :)
Zare

Please wrote:

a break for 6 consecutive hours already
Uhm, I feel there's some kind of misunderstanding going on here.
Topic Starter
Please

Zarerion wrote:

Please wrote:

a break for 6 consecutive hours already
Uhm, I feel there's some kind of misunderstanding going on here.
how so?
silmarilen
a break usually means at least several days
Ziggo

silmarilen wrote:

Not for people of Asian descent.
GoldenWolf
Well.. yeah. By "taking a break" I mean AT LEAST 2 days without clicking a single circle at all, not starting osu! even once, and generally avoid doing anything straining on your hand for these days. If the pain continue without playing or even after playing a little bit, then take a longer break (a week or so) and see a doctor
boat
keep playing

be a man, fight the pain
GoldenWolf

boat wrote:

keep playing

be a man, fight the pain
get RSI along too
very good idea
boat
yes
sCam
no pain no gain

broken fingers no gain also ;[

so take care of it.
Jsdfbn
It could be carpal tunnel (I actually have it, it's not great :\)
It started out as tingle/numbess in the palm of my thumb and just started as pain through my innermost 3 fingers and through my forearm. So it could be carpal, try getting a splint and wearing it for a while.
GoldenWolf

nihilist wrote:

try getting a splint and wearing it for a while.
He should see a doctor before trying anything.
Topic Starter
Please

silmarilen wrote:

at least several days

GoldenWolf wrote:

AT LEAST 2 days without clicking a single circle at all
too long, too long. well if that is what it takes to get better, i have no choice but to obey it :/

nihilist wrote:

It started out as tingle/numbess in the palm of my thumb and just started as pain through my innermost 3 fingers and through my forearm.
i don't experience for any numbness or tingles in the palm of my thumb though.. it just hurts at the joint of the thumb. or is it the same thing? i don't know

Ziggo wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

Not for people of Asian descent.
NixXSkate
Are you trying to singletap fast? You might be putting too much pressure into your thumb to tap fast, try to press down on it less.
kleps
Had the same thing a week ago, it did go away after 2 days, didn't even took a break I just kept playing.
Topic Starter
Please

NixXSkate wrote:

Are you trying to singletap fast? You might be putting too much pressure into your thumb to tap fast, try to press down on it less.
RIGHT. i'm always trying to singletap fast, and when i do that, i put alot of pressure into my thumb, like this;

that's not my picture, it's a screenshot from a cookie's liveplay video. as you can see, he grips his thumb against his index finger and in my case i grip my thumb against my middle finger. sigh i'll try to cut that habit out then

sKyrOw wrote:

Had the same thing a week ago, it did go away after 2 days, didn't even took a break I just kept playing.
2 days after? it seems that you endured through the pain. i can't afford to that because it really hurts :(
iSpR1Te

Please wrote:

NixXSkate wrote:

RIGHT. i'm always trying to singletap fast, and when i do that, i put alot of pressure into my thumb, like this;

that's not my picture, it's a screenshot from a cookie's liveplay video. as you can see, he grips his thumb against his index finger and in my case i grip my thumb against my middle finger. sigh i'll try to cut that habit out then

sKyrOw wrote:

2 days after? it seems that you endured through the pain. i can't afford to that because it really hurts :(
That is probably your problem then. Try to relax more, rather than tensing up by putting pressure into your thumb. I'd try to tap without using your thumb if possible. Tensing up really doesn't do you much other than short burst of speed and/or pain. I know I tense with my pinkie and ring finger a lot with my aiming hand; All it does is cause me to miss more.

But before you even try this I would take a break until the pain goes away atleast. Try some finger stretching in the mean time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPO-zST-7EE
Topic Starter
Please

iSpR1Te wrote:

That is probably your problem then. Try to relax more, rather than tensing up by putting pressure into your thumb. I'd try to tap without using your thumb if possible. Tensing up really doesn't do you much other than short burst of speed and/or pain. I know I tense with my pinkie and ring finger a lot with my aiming hand; All it does is cause me to miss more.

But before you even try this I would take a break until the pain goes away atleast. Try some finger stretching in the mean time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPO-zST-7EE
well i just tried to play a song, and that habit of mine is really hard to get rid of. sigh bad habits die hard, i guess. i'll try out that exercise, thanks :)
Raging Bull
I'm not sure, perhaps it's just inflammation. I think carpal tunnel would have radiating pain and not just focused on the thumb only.
Oinari-sama
I'd go see a doctor if I were you =.=

Muscle pain is ok in most cases as they regrow regularly. Joint pain is a lot more complex and it can take a lot longer to recover from, or if you're unlucky, serious damage if left unattended.

Carpel tunnel is caused by compression of nerves (usually around wrist area) so the effect should be more global. Patients usually notice numbness, rarely a local pain.

You're probably slowly dislocating your thumb by hitting the kb repeatedly with a lot of force. But then again, I'm not a doctor and people need to learn that internet is not a place to get answers when it comes to medical problems. I'd go see a doctor.
Topic Starter
Please

Oinari-sama wrote:

I'd go see a doctor if I were you =.=
i went to the doctor awhile ago and he said it's nothing serious. i'm just having a minor muscle pain. phew
Oinari-sama
It's always good to hear news of relief from a doctor, congrats