forum

About slider repeats

posted
Total Posts
show more
DaRRi
the extremely short ones with a large number of repeats are easy to read and sometimes kool
others are confusing, usually we have better alternative for them, mappers better avoid using too many short repeat sliders with random number of repeats to make their maps BETTER THAN RANKABLE imo
Mogsy
That's pretty much the idea, Darri. A random number of repeats on kick sliders just flows like a river of bricks and plays more awkwardly than a piano with half of the keys missing. Then again, if people honestly have no idea as to how many repeats they should have, the people modding the map need to point that out and have them fix it.
Larto
If it plays badly, it's not good.
GladiOol
I'll just stfu already, my opinion 'bout this get's misheard & misreaded and the turn of events have come over me.
lukewarmholiday
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

Larto wrote:

Yes, but it's subjective.

This is why the modding and ranking systems (I don't believe they are one just yet) are as they are: multiple people with different viewpoints look at the same content and judge.

Gladi may be okay with a certain slider, but someone else may not. It's the mapper's decision on what he does with his own map.
DaRRi

strager wrote:

Larto wrote:

Yes, but it's subjective.

This is why the modding and ranking systems (I don't believe they are one just yet) are as they are: multiple people with different viewpoints look at the same content and judge.

Gladi may be okay with a certain slider, but someone else may not. It's the mapper's decision on what he does with his own map.
still i say usually there're better alternative for them, true it's mapper's decision, but some viewpoints can't be called 'subjective', mapper should fix what is really 'bad'
we can't say 'different people have different ideas' under the case that even there're 100 people like how LEMON TREE is mapped.
i think, if something is objectively bad, it's just bad, no matter how many people would say 'i like it'
anonymous_old
There's no such thing as "objectively bad," IMO.

Subjectivity often doesn't play a role in ranking, which is one reason why I brought it up. Ranked maps aren't supposed to be "good" in a subjective sense (because that is, well, subjective).

Things like Lemon Tree are objectively bad and that can be looked at by a computer as "shit." A computer is only as good as its programmer, though (no offense to the dev's of course), so objectivity can't be completely encapsulated in a program.

Remember, ranking isn't about like/dislike; it's about sticking to the criteria. BAT's filter maps; they don't move them into ranking.
DaRRi
most players can tell good quality maps from poor ones ;)
Yuukari-Banteki
not necessarily - I've seen some gross breakings of very basic ranking guidelines that somehow the ordinary mods have completely failed to notice.
Gabi
eh, i dont see a problem with them if they follow a certain tone/beat or are divided by 2 or 4 on a certain beat/rythm.

i'd like an example of a map like this to see what you mean. i haven't seen any kind of kick sliders abuse (well maybe in one or 2 maps) recently.
Real1
A few are ok, as long as they fit. They can be good for variation, too. Let's say a map has many triplets, clicking in all of those may become repetitive and tedious, adding a repeating slider now and then makes the pattern less repetitive. Abusing them though, is like Gens said... A big no no.
SkyE-
Some of the '07-'08 maps have, Gabi xD

Though we all know that it's up to the mapper to map their songs, not every mapper will have the same standards as others =) It's easy enough to make something in a beatmap, but it's a hard thing to make something in a beatmap good.

For my sake, and then entire osu! community, people won't abuse the repeats xD But... things don't just happen. Give it some time, and the osu! standards of mapping will rise to a place where there will be no abusive mapping, and (if you've been following the hit-circle colour thread as well) there won't be any dark on dark xD I like to think of it as: "Opposites attract" OR "Being racist is good" LOL!
CheeseWarlock
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
lukewarmholiday
Instead a short repeating slider for a drumroll.

Try a normal slider, and if you want you can have it repeat at a normal pace like every full beat or 2 full beats. As long as it sounds nice.
lukewarmholiday
Should I do a writeup with pictures about which repeating sliders should be unrankable/EXTREMELY FROWNED UPON, which repeating sliders are generally considered boring or annoying, and which are generally accepted.
Zerostarry
yes
SkyE-
As Starry says.

Good luck!
lukewarmholiday

SkyE- wrote:

As Starry says.

Good luck!
Get out
SkyE-

lukewarmholiday wrote: