forum

USB Game Controller support [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +1
Topic Starter
IAmCrono
I was wondering if Osu! is capable of having direct USB Game Controller Support. This could be helpful if people would want to use their Rock Band drums for osu!. Or... a USB 360 controller for CtB. I don't know how hard this might be though.
But with this upgrade it eliminates having to use 3rd party programs.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
mm201
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

And some keyboards have lag.
All keyboards have lag.
LuigiHann
I think built-in support would be preferable, because osu would be better equipped to deal with input lag than the third-party programs would. When I tried to play osu with Rock Band drums, there was a small but noticeable delay, which an in-game calibration could adjust for
Intermezzo

MetalMario201 wrote:

Aren't you still limited by keyboard scancodes with these?

And some keyboards have lag.
no.. this is just injecting fake input into the input stream, and yes that will result in a fake keycode. But this is no reason why reading the keycodes would be limited by the polling rate of the keyboard. Think about it, you can have 2 keyboards connected right? Would one be limited by the other?

LuigiHann wrote:

I think built-in support would be preferable, because osu would be better equipped to deal with input lag than the third-party programs would. When I tried to play osu with Rock Band drums, there was a small but noticeable delay, which an in-game calibration could adjust for
If you experience delay on the pc but not on the Xbox platform it would either be the software at fault here, or the game you're playing detects this device and equips with the delay.
If it's the second, Osu! can also adjust, but To find out if it isn't the first could you try any other 'third party' software?
mm201

Intermezzo wrote:

no.. this is just injecting fake input into the input stream, and yes that will result in a fake keycode. But this is no reason why reading the keycodes would be limited by the polling rate of the keyboard. Think about it, you can have 2 keyboards connected right? Would one be limited by the other?
Polling rate is different from simultaneous keypresses. The speed at which you can press different keys doesn't matter if you need to press two or three certain keys at the same time but can't. (E, R, and T, for example.)

Intermezzo wrote:

If you experience delay on the pc but not on the Xbox platform it would either be the software at fault here, or the game you're playing detects this device and equips with the delay.
If it's the second, Osu! can also adjust, but To find out if it isn't the first could you try any other 'third party' software?
"Software", meaning Microsoft Windows, or otherwise the proprietary device drivers / input mapper which might be your only option to use. The only way out in such a circumstance is to bypass it altogether (by supporting game devices in osu! itself).

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

Intermezzo wrote:

Polling rate is different from simultaneous keypresses. The speed at which you can press different keys doesn't matter if you need to press two or three certain keys at the same time but can't. (E, R, and T, for example.)
Multiple simultanious key presses being interpreted improperly is known as ghosting and is a flaw in hardware design (and in rare cases software).

MetalMario201 wrote:

Intermezzo wrote:

"Software", meaning Microsoft Windows, or otherwise the proprietary device drivers / input mapper which might be your only option to use. The only way out in such a circumstance is to bypass it altogether (by supporting game devices in osu! itself).
Regardless of how you do it, you have these layers:

Hardware
BIOS
Hardware driver
Windows OS
Libraries
Application

(Not completely accurate or comprehensive. Italicized items may be omitted, granted the layer below them implements their functionality.)

Generally you need to write a hardware driver (in C, C++, and/or assembly in most cases) and write a small library for the input device (to talk to the driver) if you're going to do everything yourself. Why not use existing drivers and libraries? I don't see the point in rewriting.

Granted, if a library doesn't exist, I don't see why one can't be written and distributed to the Free world to make everyone happy. ;P

MetalMario201 wrote:

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.
I doubt it works that way in even 10% of cases.
Intermezzo
This is as strager stated above a hardware issue, it has nothing to do how windows interprets key presses.

Software meaning the device mapper which translates Xbox-Controller presses to virtual key presses, if this is done right this should not cause any noticeable delay (<1 ms).
Which is why I'm reluctant to write native support unless the delay luigihan is experiencing is caused by the controller itself
or if the third party programs are really no good.
Writing it wouldn't be such an issue as strager pointed out above however, as the Xbox 360 Controller is already enumerated properly on DirectInput.

I refrained myself to react to the silly list above where is stated that a driver can actually operate above the windows kernel.
anonymous_old

Intermezzo wrote:

I refrained myself to react to the silly list above where is stated that a driver can actually operate above the windows kernel.
Put Windows OS above Hardware driver (in addition to below). My mistake.
awp

strager wrote:

Should be about 10%, the adage I'm familiar with is "90% of the time, someone has already solved your problem."
anonymous_old

awp wrote:

strager wrote:

Should be about 10%, the adage I'm familiar with is "90% of the time, someone has already solved your problem."
Psh.

And I guess another 1% of the time you can get away with paying someone 0.00$ to do it.
nardii
If anyone using RB drums in Taiko has lag issues, try setting your UO to -30 and see if that helps. (Also tell me whether it does.)
Ryuukun

strager wrote:

Why can't you just live with the third-party program?

If you're saying none exists, you may be wrong. There's probably a program which maps your input device to keys. Use that program to map to ZXCV or whatever you use.
hey, everyone hates working around simple things.
I don't see anything wrong with Controller support.
I suggested the same thing a few weeks ago on the chatroom.
Echo
Put strager, MetalMario and a feature/bug in a room, and presto, instant walls of text.
Metroid
I remember saying I wanted my USB xbox 360 controller to work in Taiko 2 days ago :3
I support it if the delay can be worked around.
Zekira
I'm currently using a third-party program for Taiko currently.

I'm also using my USB Game Controller to type this message. No kidding.
anonymous_old

Echo wrote:

Put strager, MetalMario and a feature/bug in a room, and presto, instant walls of text.
=]
mm201

awp wrote:

strager wrote:

"90% of the time, someone has already solved your problem."
The wrong way. And their source is closed.

Echo wrote:

>,>
anonymous_old

MetalMario201 wrote:

>,>
I see what you did there.

What's wrong with using a closed-source library? I mean, we're on Windows for Pete's sake.
mm201
You can't change it / fix it when it's not doing what you want.
anonymous_old