forum

osu! was made for being played with the mouse so...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
sesito71
why are a lot of ranked maps that you must use the keyboard (except if you have a robotic-faster hand U_U), I mean there are maps that have streams in some parts of the map, that's ok, but I hate maps full of streams because you have to use the keyboard in almost the whole song ¬¬ I think that streamy-maps should be unranked, because osu! was initially made for being used with the mouse, not with keyboard. I know that some people have skills with the keyboard, that's good, but there are much more people who prefers using the mouse in most part of a map, and get screwed when they play a streamy-maps...

Give your opinion plz :D
Zekira
Subject title already makes me go 'wtf'.
Metroid
if osu! was made for mouse usage only, I don't think peppy would have added tablet support or z/xing to begin with...
My own 2 cents.
Also the title makes me go WTF?
Larto
Use Left/Right mouse buttons for streams. Problem solved.
happy30
I'm a mouse player and I don't have any problems with streamy maps...
Topic Starter
sesito71
I'm referring to maps like Red Zone (Extra diff, or Doomsday one). I'm not saying that they're bad done, but they're not funny. I play almost all the map just with the keyboard, and I don't feel any rhythm... It has no creativity or stuff, just streams, streams and streams... But not only this map, there are a lot of maps that are like this, just streams...

well, that's my opinion ^^

P.D: I like the other diffs of Red Zone, I only was setting an example ;)
nardii
So the only real problem here is that you don't like the map(s). Solution: Don't play them. Other people do like them.

also,

sesito71 wrote:

I'm not saying that they're bad done, but they're not funny.
lol
Nachy
The solution is to get better with your mouse even more (it's possible really). There's always room for improvement.
Lucidity
How many maps are actually unplayable with the mouse? If you can click fast enough on the keyboard you should be able to click fast enough on the mouse too. The only problem I experience is streams which are mixed with jumps or require a lot of mouse movement. I have different grips on my mouse for control and for mass-clicking, so that kind of makes some maps irritating, but those maps are few and far between. Making them unranked is a little extreme. Like someone else suggested: Simple solution = Don't play them.
Zekira
If you can click fast enough on the keyboard
whut
Lucidity
Who said you could speak, furry filth.

(  ゚,_ゝ゚)
Gabi
what the fu-

streamy maps should be unranked? thats the only maps i find fun.

you should be unranked. end of discussion <_<
Topic Starter
sesito71

Gabi wrote:

what the fu-

streamy maps should be unranked? thats the only maps i find fun.

you should be unranked. end of discussion <_<
I'm referring to extremely streamy maps. And I don't see what's fun in a map you just have to click the whole song, because I don't get rhythm. OK maybe it's a bad idea to unrank that maps, but... well do you all think that extremely-streamy maps are fun?
anonymous_old

nardi11011 wrote:

So the only real problem here is that you don't like the map(s). Solution: Don't play them. Other people do like them.

happy30 wrote:

I'm a mouse player and I don't have any problems with streamy maps...
/thread.

On Lucidity's comment:

I myself have different mouse positions for different "modes" as well. That made it harder to play osu! with just the mouse.

Also, your hands are different. Just because you can alt quickly with your left hand, your right hand may not keep up. My left hand is a bit more trained than my right hand for accuracy (even though my right hand can go much quicker, being dominant).
anonymous_old
Also, maps aren't ranked for "fun." "Fun" is highly subjective and isn't a ranking criteria. No map should be deranked because of subjectivity or something not present in the ranking criteria used for that map (unless there are severe issues outside that).
Real1
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
kideddie1501
I must admit, the slogan is "Rhythm is just a CLICK away" not "Rhythm is just X/Y away"
Metroid
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
GladiOol
I'm a mouse only played and I can DT the streams on Justice To Believe.
So no problemz here, I think.
Topic Starter
sesito71

strager wrote:

Also, maps aren't ranked for "fun." "Fun" is highly subjective and isn't a ranking criteria. No map should be deranked because of subjectivity or something not present in the ranking criteria used for that map (unless there are severe issues outside that).

I agree that ^^
Gopice
sorry maybe I'm lost, is this the unrank all the maps I can't play because I suck topic?
Lucidity
=D
Zerostarry
Using streams the whole map with a song like Red Zone is a perfect way to make it fun

Although there should have been less streams, imo

Also, I can click with my mouse fine, I only use z/x when its needed
Ryuukun
Games develop with the time.
This is just the beginning and it will be even extremer.
Its like this on every Music game.
Stepmania was originally intended for Dance pads.
But most of the Oni songs are only playable on Keyboard.

This is clearly a case of "live with it" (no offense)
Its just a natural process.
Ekaru
Wait, what?

In reality, we pretty much reached the difficulty peak a year ago... osu! is severely limited difficulty-wise by its one input to worry about (hence, z/x). Maps have already been made with lots of 1/4s. Let's see...

Heatman
Biggest Dreamer (Kasada's Insane)
SSII
Kanbu
Agony (Insane)
That one Max map that is just silly

And the list goes on...

Those are pretty much as hard as you're gonna get. Oh right they're old, especially SSII, Kanbu, and Agony. If you think about it, the maps nowadays aren't that much harder.

Let's take Heatman. Not many people have S'd that map. That's because the opening is one of the most ridiculous openings for a map in history. This is because Heatman was made as a joke and to prove a point. You can't really get stupider than the Heatman opening.

I haven't seen very many maps stupider than Heatman. This is probably a good thing.

Taiko? We still have a long ways to go there. 'Course, we'll have to beat the chart that is mostly a single 1/4 stream. Just use a 1/6 stream instead, problem solved. ~ Honestly, if you want more challenge and want to utilize your 1337 keyboard skills, I recommend Taiko or any other input-based music game. Even Guitar Hero is harder than osu! (IMO of course) due to the complexity of some charts.

So yeah, it can't really get extremer. BTW, I know some osu!ers who don't like Stepmania for that very reason. ;/

Dear OP: the hardest osu! maps have been this hard for over a year now. Please deal with it. Thanks, everyone else.
anonymous_old
Wait, what?

Ekaru wrote:

In reality, we pretty much reached the difficulty peak a year ago...
I highly doubt that. People are playing maps which were thought very difficult before (and are now "must-have" S's for players with respect...) in Double Time and with Hidden and Flashlight. Players will get better and better. Who knows, White Wolf may be able to play Marisa on DT or something.

(In fact, I would love to see some maps (like Night of Knights) played with Hidden and other mods, but only the top dogs have managed to S those maps... Still, it's definitely possible, and more challenging/difficult definitely.)

Ekaru wrote:

I haven't seen very many maps stupider than Heatman. This is probably a good thing.
I have.

Ekaru wrote:

Even Guitar Hero is harder than osu! (IMO of course) due to the complexity of some charts.
Hehehe.

Would you want a mix of Taiko and osu! standard, then? ;P Or maybe more mods, like a drunk mod?

Also ... Agony had a lot of annoying 1/4's? I don't remember any...
LuigiHann
I'm now coining the term "difficulty inflation" for the gradual increase in perceived maximum difficulty. People are getting better at the game, so they expect the game to get more difficult to maintain the challenge... This happens in a lot of games, not just osu.
anonymous_old

LuigiHann wrote:

I'm now coining the term "difficulty inflation" for the gradual increase in perceived maximum difficulty. People are getting better at the game, so they expect the game to get more difficult to maintain the challenge... This happens in a lot of games, not just osu.
See: the NES/arcade Mario games.

They're still being improved upon, though in terms of seconds and milliseconds...
Beuchi
Well... Personally I like streamy maps like Red Zone or Justice to Believe, I know that they are a little bit impossible for me (I suck so much on long streams like that >.<) but they force me to train a lot on my "clicking" to finally get a pretty FC on them... A few days ago I FC'd Justice to Believe, so I think the training it's working :)

[#spanish mode ON] Sesito, es una locura pedir que se desrankee un mapa solo porque a 2 o 3 no les guste, porque si se hiciera ningun mapa estaria rankeado... No hay ningun mapa en el que estes obligado a usar el teclado, simplemente porque lo que haces con el es lo mismo que puedes hacer con el raton, el usarlo o no es cuestion de comodidad o habilidad con las manos, a mi parecer. Puedes ser malo haciendo streams, pero eres muy bueno en otras cosas, que puedes aprovechar en otros mapas que las tengan para sacar buena puntuacion, asi que no te preocupes ^^ [#spanish mode OFF]

Only one more thing:

Gladi wrote:

I'm a mouse only played and I can DT the streams on Justice To Believe.
So no problemz here, I think.
I love you, GOD :D
Lesjuh
I don't get it.

All maps with 1/4 should be unranked because that makes YOU happy? Think about US, and our babies.
Topic Starter
sesito71
Ekaru
Lucidity

Ekaru wrote:

Wait, what?

In reality, we pretty much reached the difficulty peak a year ago... blah blah blah ...

rubbish.
Just because you haven't played any maps in over a year doesn't mean harder maps haven't been ranked/approved \;D/

Not only has the general level of difficulty increased, but the Insane maps are getting more insane. There seems to be a focus on spacing and jumps especially. Jumps can make a map 100x harder than deathstreams.

Other rhythm games might have more button bashing, but in my opinion osu's true difficulty lies in the aim it requires. Judging osu to be easy, because it only has 2 buttons is silly!

I really mean no offence when I say this, but it looks like you only play Normal and Easy maps and your playcount has dropped significantly since the beginning of this year, so how could you possibly judge the difficulty level today?
LuigiHann
I won't lock a thread just because the thread starter wants me to... However, I will lock a thread because it is stupid.

Anyway, there's a recent and active thread for discussing trends in beatmap difficulty: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16052

So I'm gonna lock this one down