forum

Getting bored of the game.

posted
Total Posts
show more
skibblesx
Kumiho laid it out. Just take a break. Mine was for like 4 months.

Or if you're desperate, try and make some personal goals, though I find that those tend to ruin me and the fun after trying rlly hard
Rorona
WARNING: LEARNING and Psychology
Regular breaks are important to doing anything. Doing anything for too long, without rest will cause more than just dissatisfaction with the game, it actually will cause you to think that what you're doing is repetitive, hence releasing less dopamine when you do something that is really awesome (or at least you think it is) in the game.

Dopamine is a hormone which makes you feel happy for doing things.

This results in what's happening to you right now, a "down stage" making you feel bored of the game, and feeling like it's boring, unlike what you thought when you first started playing the game. Taking a break and coming back later will allow your brain to have calmed down, especially if you feel like you're not improving, and will make you have considerably more fun. This break can last from 30 minutes to even indefinite periods of time. It may be that you actually don't like the game very much and were just hyped on it when you first started playing.

Take a break! Play other games. There's a plethora of free games online that are available for you to try. Since you're in Europe, I can't recommend Mabinogi, but Cabal Online might still be active in Europe.

Alternatively, you can find a song that you REALLY like and play that, or songs like that. A song that you like is more likely to keep you attached to the game instead of turning you off, but it's important to remember that breaks are also a key part of playing the game, so don't just play that one song over and over again, as the same "down stage" will occur, and you will stop liking that song, and you will also stop liking the game, as it will feel repetitive again, and there comes a stage where you just can't beat your old score on a song, making you feel like you're not improving. Once again, that reduces dopamine releases. So play some other songs, or make some of your own! Variety is the spice of life :)

Friends are also a good alternative to being bored. This one explains itself. So if you have some friends with free time, get them to play too!

tl;dr Take breaks, play other games, play songs that you like, play with friends.
Trash Boat

Rorona wrote:

WARNING: LEARNING and Psychology
Regular breaks are important to doing anything. Doing anything for too long, without rest will cause more than just dissatisfaction with the game, it actually will cause you to think that what you're doing is repetitive, hence releasing less dopamine when you do something that is really awesome (or at least you think it is) in the game.

Dopamine is a hormone which makes you feel happy for doing things.

This results in what's happening to you right now, a "down stage" making you feel bored of the game, and feeling like it's boring, unlike what you thought when you first started playing the game. Taking a break and coming back later will allow your brain to have calmed down, especially if you feel like you're not improving, and will make you have considerably more fun. This break can last from 30 minutes to even indefinite periods of time. It may be that you actually don't like the game very much and were just hyped on it when you first started playing.

Take a break! Play other games. There's a plethora of free games online that are available for you to try. Since you're in Europe, I can't recommend Mabinogi, but Cabal Online might still be active in Europe.

Alternatively, you can find a song that you REALLY like and play that, or songs like that. A song that you like is more likely to keep you attached to the game instead of turning you off, but it's important to remember that breaks are also a key part of playing the game, so don't just play that one song over and over again, as the same "down stage" will occur, and you will stop liking that song, and you will also stop liking the game, as it will feel repetitive again, and there comes a stage where you just can't beat your old score on a song, making you feel like you're not improving. Once again, that reduces dopamine releases. So play some other songs, or make some of your own! Variety is the spice of life :)

Friends are also a good alternative to being bored. This one explains itself. So if you have some friends with free time, get them to play too!

tl;dr Take breaks, play other games, play songs that you like, play with friends.
+1,000,000
Zerostarry
Talk about cute anime girls in your favourite IRC channel.
NoHitter
Try mapping. It will make or break you.
Tsukimi Luna
why not just "do something else"
Best solution ever
Birdy
Quit.
Trash Boat
don't quit
boat
quit
Trash Boat
don't quit. i can do this all day
mekadon_old
I've been into something like this before, guess how long it took me to come back lol
Personally you should try playing other games too, there are many good games out there that's really good
Primula_old
Make your own 'challenges' in the multiplayer lobby - Try hosting one with the mods: HT+EZ+HD+SD, it's pretty challenging for most people.

Me and a friend did it a while ago and it was really fun :3
Vertify
Just play the game every now and then. You'll obviously get bored if you play it 24/7 (some people anyway lol)
Mineko
There are times when I would leave the game forever, but after 2 days the sadness is gone and I'm back in the game,
osu gives me beautiful songs!
don't quit just take a break
tokaku

boat wrote:

Stop playing. Uninstall.
Do it before you get addicted
Save yourself while you can!
GladiOol
PlasticSmoothie

battler077 wrote:

IppE wrote:

This. Do it before it's too late.
osu! is not an illness, neither a virus. is a game. no, actually, its an awesome game
The sheer amount of times I have stopped playing only to one day be drawn in again tells a different story.

4 times now ;_;
Mikelicious
Go Multiplayer, its more funny and competitive play against others sometimes!
Seikunai
I got bored before too.

But because I was playing Standard before, now I play Taiko and it made me addicted to osu! again.
Trash Boat
watch tons of animes. you may find awesome music
Legxis
Really, play the other three modes.
Set the goal to get all achievements and good accuracy in the modes.
Get and play more maps.
Play more multiplayer, especially Coop, that's really fun.
Aim to become pro.
Stop playing for a while and do other things, when you come back you'll have fun again for a while, no need to play 24/7.
D33d
Sooner or later, the appeal's going to wear off. Playing one game a lot will do that. Take a break and you should be able to tell if the game's worth your time after that.

I've had breaks of a few weeks, so that I could focus on more important activities or because I was getting fed up of the politics around here. I got back into the game when I had a nagging urge to play or map. That's it.
Azure_Kite
As someone coming back into the game (At least, Taiko), taking a break isn't a bad thing.

I find that I actually got better after taking some time off, for reasons unknown to me.
MyNameIsJohn
Slowly starting to come back myself after getting bored around two years ago.. haha. Nothing is wrong with a break!
OzzyOzrock
the only reason i played this game for 3 years straight was because I had no knowledge of other games lol