forum

Recycling Center

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
EiJi
This is something I thought of yesterday.

Any active beatmapper is bound to have countless WIP maps that have not been done either because he/she can't, isn't interested or whatever other reason.

So I propose a recycling center. On BSS, add a new destination alongside WIP and Completed.

This new area will be for people to submit their already-timed and ready to be mapped maps. The idea is that maps submitted to this area can be picked up for others to immediately begin mapping, as they will already be timed, named, setup and everything.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had a good 100 WIP projects that I never did simply because I was unable to map them, or in my case, usually, because I couldn't make a good map out of it. I would have gladly donated these maps to this new area for other folks to make good use of them. Sadly, I formatted though.

This would have many benefits, but primarily, allow beginner beatmappers to begin mapping these pre-timed maps.

This could be even further enhanced to use the Kudosu system. Players could submit their pre-timed maps for other people. Should their map be used to produce a ranked beatmap, reward the submitting player will X Kudosu. This of course will require some sort of moderation, to prevent people who submitted poorly or even untimed maps from receiving Kudosu. Either way, it could work.

'tis all for now.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
FurukawaPan
It's a fun collaborative idea that I like.

+1

Though, I wouldn't assign any kudosu to it. Just a place to propose if anyone else wants to continue a map you've decided not to work on any more.
Topic Starter
EiJi

strager wrote:

I dunno.

If someone needs a map timed, they can request it in the timing thread.

This sounds like "upload then immediately graveyard my map" to me.

If a bunch of people upload 100's of MB's of MP3's each I think there's a problem with the system.

I'm against the kudosu-giving, though. That can be done manually and better using the current system (asking for help).
This is true. But that'd first require they figure out what they'd like to map. Then find the song. Then submit it to get it timed. Etc etc.

On the other hand, these maps that have been submitted by mappers who no longer have any intention of mapping it, would already be timed. If not, then they have no business submitting them to begin with.

james039 wrote:

Though, I wouldn't assign any kudosu to it. Just a place to propose if anyone else wants to continue a map you've decided not to work on any more.
It's optional. I personally could care less about the kudosu system. However, this does have the potential to incorporate it, though.

Also, let me add that the idea isn't for people to submit partially completed beatmaps, but rather blank, pretimed maps. Sure, I suppose they could also submit their partially done work, but at most it'd be for reference. This whole idea is for people to have easy access to songs to map, which are already named, timed and ready to go.
CheeseWarlock
This was suggested a while back, but you've made it sound a lot more reasonable...

But I'm still saying no to this. We have a timing help thread, and with the amount of music "out there" I don't think this would see enough use to merit a service as large as this.

And it definitely can't use the kudosu system without allowing abuse (massive abuse) or severely limiting the system (having "recycle" maps count towards your uploaded maps count).
LuigiHann
I think this is a cool idea.
rust45
I support this because there are some songs I wouldn't map unless someone suggested it to me. If someone goes into this section and sees a song that they like, but never thought about mapping, they map just DL this and try it out.

That and other reasons stated in the OP.
Echo
i don't see how this is different from graveyard

and tbh timing takes at most 5 minutes for most songs anyway
- Sugoi Sugoi -
bumpin' it
Bara-
I like this, but I think, just as beatmap requests this´ll not be used