Also, most people don't own a monitor that had a giraffe as a mother
seriously wtf of a kind of monitor is that
Mathsma

iWhorse wrote:

usa wrote:

according to this picture, i need to buy a lower desk
Also, most people don't own a monitor that had a giraffe as a mother
seriously wtf of a kind of monitor is that
Put your old college textbooks to use and stack them under your monitor like I do.
enik
^ I do like this too. If you put something like an empty box under your monitor it will be some free deck space for your tablet or other devices food
Lach
you guys should try this helps keep neck and back straight for maximum ergonomics

GoldenWolf

enik wrote:

^ I do like this too. If you put something like an empty box under your monitor it will be some free deck space for your tablet or other devices
oh my god genius, brb finding an empty box
iSpR1Te
I have always kept my elbows/arms on the arm rests on my chair. I just tried lifting my arms up to at 90 degree angle (the same level as my table) and now I can see a major difference. It feels like I have a huger stamina boost. I can stream way long without getting tired. I can't believe I have never tried this before; this is excellent.

Thank you for this post :!:

Unfortunately I can't get the exact posture because I have a laptop. >:(
Topic Starter
Gretsch
You don't have to look exactly like the image lol. I know that computer looks ridiculous. It's not hard to find images of proper piano posture or computer ergonomics.

@iSpR1Te: I'm glad you were able to get more comfortable and that it helped you out with playing.

@Mathsma: That's a great idea!
MovingtoMars
This makes me realise how I need to stop my habit of crossing my legs while playing.
EcksDee
But I learned on QI that the optimal seating position is at a 30 degree recline.
RaneFire

EcksDee wrote:

But I learned on QI that the optimal seating position is at a 30 degree recline.
Slouching?

Tbh, I looked at this picture and thought... I can't sit like that... not comfortable. Even if it is optimal, I just don't feel like it. In fact I only sit like that with a straight back when I'm typing, probably because I learned to type with posture in mind since I was a kid. When gaming however, or watching a movie... anything goes.
pielak213
­
Liiraye
This is complete bullshit and won't make you improve at osu at all nor does it hold you back.

Do you think all pro players sit like retards as illustrated in the OP? I've seen a pretty much pro player play irl and he sat weird as fk compared to your pic. (He is also a flawless steamer)

Just play more and you'll improve. Stop giving people false hope.
buny

Liiraye wrote:

This is complete bullshit and won't make you improve at osu at all nor does it hold you back.

Do you think all pro players sit like retards as illustrated in the OP? I've seen a pretty much pro player play irl and he sat weird as fk compared to your pic. (He is also a flawless steamer)

they develop long term problems though
EcksDee

RaneFire wrote:

EcksDee wrote:

Slouching?

Tbh, I looked at this picture and thought... I can't sit like that... not comfortable. Even if it is optimal, I just don't feel like it. In fact I only sit like that with a straight back when I'm typing, probably because I learned to type with posture in mind since I was a kid. When gaming however, or watching a movie... anything goes.
Well I got this comfy as hell office chair which naturally puts me at an angle when sitting.
Feels great mang.
Liiraye

buny wrote:

Liiraye wrote:

they develop long term problems though
Possible, but the topic ensues that changing posture will improve your streaming abilities
Topic Starter
Gretsch

Liiraye wrote:

Posture is a big deal in pretty much any endeavor. Ask any musician and they'll tell you that posture is very important. Ask any athlete, same thing.

I've personally played with people who have complained of arm and finger pain and people who cramp up quickly when they play. It can either be fatigue from not playing enough or.... bad posture. This type of pain with bad posture can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome over the long term. Having the monitor at the wrong level can lead to eye strain over the long term. Having the wrist at a bad angle can strain it. Anything you can do to relieve pain on joints and muscles will help.

The picture is a reminder to people who are struggling with pain or cramping that a simple posture change can help out a ton..... and this can lead to better playing. It worked for me simply by getting my elbows at a better angle by adjusting my seating and I know it can help others if they tinker around with it.

This post is for beginners and for others who come to the forums looking for help with technique, etc. Even if it helps just a few people play more comfortably, I feel like the post was successful.
EcksDee
So what do you think of this article

"Measurements of spinal angles, spinal disk height, and movements were taken. When undue strain is placed on a disk, it moves - often out of place. The researchers found that the upright position, at 90 degrees, caused disks to move the most, while the relaxed position (135 degrees) caused disks to move the least. In other words, the upright position is the worst for the back, while the relaxed position is the best."

Plus I mean it's undoubtedly more comfortable sitting and playing while reclining a bit IMO. Comfort should be what you strive for.

Also if you don't like news sites then this
Full Tablet
My playing (or general computer using) position is something like this (but with normal body proportions).
buny

EcksDee wrote:

So what do you think of this article

"Measurements of spinal angles, spinal disk height, and movements were taken. When undue strain is placed on a disk, it moves - often out of place. The researchers found that the upright position, at 90 degrees, caused disks to move the most, while the relaxed position (135 degrees) caused disks to move the least. In other words, the upright position is the worst for the back, while the relaxed position is the best."

Plus I mean it's undoubtedly more comfortable sitting and playing while reclining a bit IMO. Comfort should be what you strive for.

Also if you don't like news sites then this
I find it more comfortable to lean back on my chair

also i don't think sitting at 90 degrees is a mandatory ergonomic posture
Topic Starter
Gretsch
Cool article. I can't argue with the study and I'm certainly not an expert on the matter. I agree comfort is the important thing.

I edited the OP to show the article and a couple other pics. The reclined spine angle can be achieved by either angling the seat downward like in the original skeleton pic, or with flat legs and reclined back. Thanks again for the article. Good stuff
Espionage724

enik wrote:

^ I do like this too. If you put something like an empty box under your monitor it will be some free deck space for your tablet or other devices food
Or, disc drives :p

Was using two drives before with my taller table; just switched to a shorter one though.
iderekmc

usa wrote:

according to this picture, i need to buy a lower desk
or a chair that can rise? xD
Mara
Well no wonder my right arm feels like it's about to get ripped off when I play osu!
those
One inch difference in the height of your seat can change your typing speed by up to 10 wpm.
iderekmc

Full Tablet wrote:

My playing (or general computer using) position is something like this (but with normal body proportions).
like a boss xD
TakuMii
Slightly related: I got something to keep on my lap to keep me from sitting too close to my monitor (a Piplup plushie, don't judge), and I noticed that my aim has drastically improved since then.
Mikelicious
Nice read