forum

How do you feel about retrying maps tons of times?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iWhorse
http://puu.sh/50KAp.png
http://puu.sh/50Kjr.png
http://puu.sh/50Kk4.png

It may be fine to retry a song once or twice to get a score, even couple dozen if you like the song. How the hell do you people bear retrying thousands of times just for one score, though? Don't you ever get bored? Or am i just weird for hating the retry button?

If i have a high play count on a map, it's usually because i play it a lot over a period of time. The most amount of retries I've ever amassed on a map in a row is probably around 100.
silmarilen
Full Tablet
You achieve hundreds of retries in a map by playing while thinking about something completely different.
El Koko

I've only passed it twice

How I feel? Like real sh*t.

Nah. I don't actually feel anything. I'm already accustomed to retrying hundreds of times to either pass or FC a song. I usually end up retrying over 100 times. I only get really angry when I'm missing at random, and not because of my lack of ability.
pielak213
­
Flanster
After 10 retries I get pissed, after 50 all the rage, beyond that I could probably cry all day.
strikeR
boooorinnnnggggg zzz
RaneFire
I retry a few times, but before that number even reaches 10 I lose interest and play something else.
AmaiHachimitsu
Amateurs..

Never used no-spun, no fail, never played offline.

As you can see, I wasted several thousands of plays because I was trying maps that were far above my limit. The worst kind of practice. NEVER try this, it's futile. I think some other players have similar experiences.

I don't waste tries so much now, but still I tend to grind some scores. Why? Because I hate to lose, especially when I clearly can see that "I CAN FC THAT SHIT". Many scores were like this.

Trying a map 10 times, got sliderbreak or 1-3x miss.
> dozens of worse plays > finally can play most of the map comfortably, but I miss near the end because STRESS.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the pressure it wouldn't take so many tries to do every score.

I know nearly every player has this problem, but I feel like I'm ultra-vulnerable.
lolcubes
Let's make a flowchart.

Do you want to SS a map? -> Yes -> Retry until you do

|
v

No -> Do you want to FC that map? -> Yes -> Retry until you do

|
V

No -> Do you want to pass that map? -> Yes -> Retry until you do

|
v

No -> Do you want to play that map over and over? -> Yes -> Retry until you want to stop

|
v

No -> Stop playing

Pretty simple. For me at least.
TwentyOne21_old
I feel bored and mad, always saying " Why I can't pass this map? "

I always retry SCU - Concon when first time I played this map, because I wanna pass this map. It's so damn hard for me to play this song and one day I pass this song. Now, I can easily pass this song
Aqo

lolcubes wrote:

Do you want to play that map over and over? -> Yes -> Retry
Breiz
I don't get bored at all, just pissed when I can't fc.
Almost
Only ever retry spam for HR because accuracy gets higher on more attempts. Worst part is that for certain maps, I get 97+% accuracy on non-FCs and I get nervous on actual FCs and score 92-93% :(
chox_old

pielak213 wrote:

retry is bad for playcount! dont do it!! 1x1 retry.png <-- add to folder
great idea but i immediately started using ctrl+r instead
can't help it lol
Coro
I end up racking up a lot of retries with Perfect on :/
daredakke
I tend not to retry much, maybe up to 3-4 times before I try again tomorrow, especially if I don't get anywhere.

If I make a mistake at the start of a map I'll usually retry immediately, but then I imagine a lot of people would.
iSpR1Te
I very rarely ever retry a song, even if I have 99% with one miss. I really enjoy sight reading rather than knowing what is coming up next. (memorization) I blame this on my nervousness. When I know what is coming up next I tend to get nervous and miss the easiest parts but when I don't know what is next I'm going calm. This probably why I don't have a lot of S/SS, and I probably would have a lot higher PP. If I don't FC first try I won't until the next day because I usually just go down the list play each song once. Most of my retries are on maps that I used to train a specific skill. (streams, jumps, etc.) Never actually practiced jumps/jump maps
RaneFire

iWhorse wrote:

How the hell do you people bear retrying thousands of times just for one score, though? Don't you ever get bored? Or am i just weird for hating the retry button?
It's quite obvious that the only thing warranting 1000 retries is competition and superior motivation. It's not about these guys getting bored, it's just pursuing goals and practicing to help achieve them. As long as you have a goal in sight, you can't get bored unless you lose sight of it... even though these goals are intrinsic (have no value).

I'd like to think most people are having fun at the same time, but I don't really know after some rather odd forum discussions.

Personally, I haven't set any crazy goals for myself, but this doesn't mean I don't have goals elsewhere or don't have a competitive nature. People seem to use this line a lot for the wrong reasons. You don't have to be competitive in everything. If you are, you're no fun at parties or events because no one likes a bad sport. It's not to say that I have never grinded anything intrinsic either, I just stopped doing it because my priorities are elsewhere now.

This statement was presented as is, and is not intended in anyway to justify me being bad at the game. Thank you.
Rio-
Personally, I tend to retry only 1-2 times. If It's exceed than that, I play another song....
*In Exception for some Real-Insane Maps that I barely Pass, I retry about 3-4 times then I change song...
nrl
My best plays tend to be my first and second runs through a song of the night, after that I start making silly mistakes left and right. So I don't usually do more than 10 retries before moving on.
Zalaria
Since I have literally no patience with this game and S ranks, 10 retries is like my max before I ragequit and go to another map. And I notice I have this habit of nearly SSing a song on a random first attempt, then somehow screw up at the end everytime. Then every attempt afterwards is nowhere near as good ._.
Arcanine
400 tries for blue drops.
sora no otoshimono >.<
Hello Skitty
i tend to retry a lot when i want to fc. i have very bad consistency so i get random misses very often
usa
I should try it more often because I'll never good scores otherwise :>
Degni
I get bored pretty easily, but if the map is challenging i'll always give (tons of) tries.
Tshemmp
"I can FC this map, and I can FC this map NOW."
I just can't accept not accomplishing my goal when I can see that I am clearly able to.
Coffee Hero
If I'm trying to pass a song I'll probably try a couple of time before moving on.
If I'm trying to FC, I might try 10-20 times.
Top 50 or SS? If I know its within my abilities I'll pretty much retry until I get it, ( atleast at my skill level doing this isn't much of an issue)
Dreamcast
I had to quit the game twice because of this, I used to get really bored when I had to retry a lot of times. But not anymore.
You can get frustrated or you can earn self-confidence when you retry a map, it depends if you can FC the map you are playing.
Earning confidence in yourself will help you in dealing with your nerves.

I think that it's actually okay if you retry a map a lot, but try not to get stressed or bored.
Perfectionist_old

mmm.. I don't retry very often. Most of my plays are from playing on perfect and looking for hard songs, but generally if I don't have the potential to beat the song, then I won't bother playing it over and over. I like variety :D
show more