forum

New S colours for mods

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +56
show more
deadbeat
i can't believe i just noticed that this has no s.p :'(
*fixed*
Kuro

Starz0r wrote:

When did this happen
lucky ;_;
I haven't had any votes in more than 3 months
theowest

Kuro wrote:

Starz0r wrote:

When did this happen
lucky ;_;
ok. nobody cares, talk about the request instead.
Aqo
Wow this 3 year old suggestion is really good.
Right now mods show on the score listing but it would be a nice touch if every mod combination of a main 4 diff-increase ones had a different unique color.
+support
Kitokofox
I care.
This would be a good idea to implement, on the factor that the different S colours make it easier to see what mods are used at a glance. (It would also make it more pretty to look at the highscores, in my opinion)

Then someone will want a "super flare rainbow-y" S/SS for clearing the map with all the mods (And maybe give a bunch of fireworks, hah. :roll:)

I support this.
ZeroEightOne
yes I support this. but

osu! wrote:

Current Priority: +10
You have 0 vote(s) remaining.
Natsu
I support this :)
Kuro

theowest wrote:

Kuro wrote:

lucky ;_;
ok. nobody cares, talk about the request instead.
Shinu...

Aqo wrote:

Wow this 3 year old suggestion is really good.
Right now mods show on the score listing but it would be a nice touch if every mod combination of a main 4 diff-increase ones had a different unique color.
+support
Ikr, it'd make more sense if the mods that increase difficulty had their own colors instead of just flashlight and hidden.
It could be a reddish color for hard rock, and a green color for double time. \:D/
Soaprman
Use a big S that blocks other stuff on the results screen for Easy.

So for this you'd need what, sixteen colors total?
Normal
HR
HD
DT
FL
HR+HD
HR+DT
HR+FL
HD+DT
HD+FL
DT+FL
HR+HD+DT
HR+HD+FL
HR+DT+FL
HD+DT+FL
HR+HD+DT+FL

Anyone wanna come up with a way to account for all those? It'd certainly take some time to learn which colors go with which, too.

Perhaps it might be easier to give qualities to the S image, like reddened for hard rock, translucent for hidden, motion blur for double time, blackened for flashlight. Then you could tell which mods it has by what effects have been applied to the S. I know two of those examples are colors, which is fine. Doing a hue and a black/white is fine. Adding more colors is what gets hairy.
OsuMe65

Soaprman wrote:

Normal
HR
HD
DT
FL
HR+HD
HR+DT
HR+FL
HD+DT
HD+FL
DT+FL
HR+HD+DT
HR+HD+FL
HR+DT+FL
HD+DT+FL
HR+HD+DT+FL
jawdrop required... it's a good idea but 16 of them might weigh heavy on the disk space...
deadbeat

Soaprman wrote:

Normal
HR
HD
DT
FL
HR+HD
HR+DT
HR+FL
HD+DT
HD+FL
DT+FL
HR+HD+DT
HR+HD+FL
HR+DT+FL
HD+DT+FL
HR+HD+DT+FL
why do we need that many. that seems like too much. lybydose's idea was better
TheVileOne
I prefer the current system really. It doesn't need any senseless complications.
Natsu
I just want a colour for Dt and Hr really dt is harder to play than playing hd
Friggles
I was thinking red for DT and/or HR, it suits better. Also maybe diamond for someone that uses all mods :D/ or maybe diamond for mixing a HD/FL with HR/DT.
theowest

Friggles wrote:

I was thinking red for DT and/or HR, it suits better. Also maybe diamond for someone that uses all mods :D/ or maybe diamond for mixing a HD/FL with HR/DT.
related t/114646?hilit=diamond
Kuroneko-sHerald

Card N'FoRcE wrote:

HardRock and Doubletime could share the same colour since they're meant to make the map harder (while FL and hidden only "hide" things) and if one of the hiding mods is used with HR or DT we can have another colour to explain that
I think that adding 3 new colors will suffice:

1 for DT, HR or DT+HR (red maybe).
1 for DT+FL, DT+HD, HR+FL, HR+HD, DT+HR+FL and so on... (all combinations between DT,HR and FL,HD).
1 for DT+HR+FL+HD (all mods).
Kuro
It took me 5 minutes to make this in gimp. please don't bash :|

Winshley
Inb4 S and SS image suggestion for EZ, HT, and SO mod tanking ranking. (Stupid typo lol)
bwross

deadbeat wrote:

Soaprman wrote:

Normal
HR
HD
DT
FL
HR+HD
HR+DT
HR+FL
HD+DT
HD+FL
DT+FL
HR+HD+DT
HR+HD+FL
HR+DT+FL
HD+DT+FL
HR+HD+DT+FL
why do we need that many. that seems like too much. lybydose's idea was better
Not really. The rest of Soaprman's post talks about doing it by giving qualities to the image... which means you'd only need 4 things, not 2^4. The question would be how to skin that... you'd need some sort of system of overlays (the order that that stack would probably need to be set in the skin.ini, because different designs will require different orders). For example, it would be pretty easy to "redden" the S for HR (as suggested), you'd just need to make the HR layer a transparent red blob where you want to apply the reddening.
Oinari-sama

Soaprman wrote:

Normal
HR
HD
DT
FL
HR+HD
HR+DT
HR+FL
HD+DT
HD+FL
DT+FL
HR+HD+DT
HR+HD+FL
HR+DT+FL
HD+DT+FL
HR+HD+DT+FL

Anyone wanna come up with a way to account for all those? It'd certainly take some time to learn which colors go with which, too.

Perhaps it might be easier to give qualities to the S image, like reddened for hard rock, translucent for hidden, motion blur for double time, blackened for flashlight. Then you could tell which mods it has by what effects have been applied to the S. I know two of those examples are colors, which is fine. Doing a hue and a black/white is fine. Adding more colors is what gets hairy.
Peppy will probably faint when he sees this lol

Personally I think 3 colours will do (the colours are arbitary as I got no preferences):
Red = HR/DT/HR+DT
Blue = HD/FL/HD+FL
Silver = Any of HR/DT with HD/FL

If you really want to account for all 16 combinations I propose leaving the S/SS as gold, but introduce 4 little "lights" next to the S/SS. 4 "light" colours for each mod and the lights are shown for the mods used. It should be "cleaner" and less confusing vs 16 new colours.

Example:
All mods on (HR+ DT+ HD+ FL from top to bottom)
HR+ HD
Kert
Continuing Soaprman's idea:

All ranked mods and their possible qualities they add to the image:
EASY - green hue
NOFAIL - cross picture behind/above
HALFTIME - hourglass behind/above
HARDROCK - red hue
SUDDENDEATH - bomb behind/above
PERFECT - crosshair ontop
DOUBLETIME - multiple images with increasing transparency (calculated with osu!) or just 2x picture above
NIGHTCORE - some anime image behind the letter. maybe Pippi
FLASHLIGHT - dark layer ontop
optional SPUNOUT - spinner picture behind
HIDDEN - uses "ranking-letter-HD.png" picture instead

Some examples
HD

HR

HD+HR

How it looks in-game

HR+HD and HR scores:

HD score and S no-mod

I am not very cool at colouring so excuse me, but you get the idea

Also I haven't tried adding images below ranking letters because I suck at gimp, maybe someone will do that for me :<
But the most extreme combination I can think of is HR+HD+NC+PF+SO+FL
It is done with:
HR red hue
HD ranking-letter-HD.png
images below: NC pippy
images above: PF crosshair, SO spinner, FL dark area

And I don't think it will look too cluttered~

UPD: Oh it also works for all other letters: SS, A, B, C, D
markeloff_old
Nice Idea :D
Tear
I think the S/SS tints should be based on the multiplier they give.
Normal: no mod
Tint 1 (1.06x): HR, HD
Tint 2 (1.12x): DT, FL, HR+HD
Tint 3 (1.19x): DT+HD, DT+HR, FL+HD, FL+HR
Tint 4 (1.25x): DT+FL, DT+HR+HD, FL+HR+HD
Tint 5 (1.33x): DT+FL+HD, DT+FL+HR
Tint 6 (1.41x): DT+FL+HR+HD

They don't even have to be separate images, they can be colored like objects are during gameplay. They could be a gradient between 2 colors, but not gold and silver since they're too close. This would be very simple to implement - two images are required, one for no mod and one for tint 6. Displaying tint 3 would be alpha-blending 50% of the first and 50% of the second image.
The advantage of this method is that the leaderboards would be nicely arranged in a gradient, and it would be simple to tell what mods you need to use to compete with others.
Purple
Necroing!

I think this is a wonderful idea. It would encourage players to make unique records (like FL+ HR). It would also help differentiate scoreboard plays: for example, HD+HR and HD plays are very different yet they possess the same S color. Likewise, DT+HD and FL+HD are very different yet have the same color.

Because of the reason stated above, I don't think the colors should be based on mod score multipliers.

Instead, as people stated before, it could be as simple as having HD be light blue, FL be darker blue, HR be orange and DT be red. The combination of those mods would simply yield the combination of those colors; for example, HR + HD would yield light pink (I think). Easy mod would yield a special Green S.

Also, skinning needs to be accounted for.

Support.
El SolarBeam
it doesn't really affect the gameplay but.. it will make the rank panel be more colorful

yo support owo)/
Purple
The idea here is that a DT+HD run is generally much different than a HR-HD run on insane difficulties, yet both give the same silver S color. I wouldn't be surprised if several high level players would prefer their DT+HD scores to show up as gold instead of silver, as a way to differentiate themselves from the rest of the crowd. Unique scores are unique because they are hard to achieve, so why not have some reward for achieving such scores other than just more points? Why not have each mod combination have its own color/tint?

I think a lot of ideas have been discussed already. What this thread needs (aside from more stars) is some more input from peppy on what he is willing to do and what is possible to do with the game coding.
boat
People actually care about letter ranks?

All the details about the score are right there anyways, I don't see how this would encourage anything.

I'm not against the idea, I quite frankly don't care, but a lot of the arguments for are super silly. This wont encourage anything and neither does it as of now discourage getting unique scores.
Babukus
I supported this idea before because you'd have to hover over to see what mods someone used.

Now it's shown on the scoreboard so this isn't really needed(arguable).

boat wrote:

I quite frankly don't care
Tear
It's faster to scan the leaderboard for colors than letters, it's simply convenience. Why not make the game clearer?
Another star because why not~
Luna
A different color for each mod would be too much (especially with mod combinations), but an additional color for HR/DT and one for a combination of HR/DT+HD/FL would be nice I guess. I sort my beatmap list by rank and it can be quite annoying to have to select each map individually just to check if my S/SS is nomod or HR/DT.
Purple
I see it as a reward for the efforts some top players undertake to get a unique score in a map. Take this example: What if Cookiezi (or someone else... like certain German cheater) full combo's Mendes with DT+HD with high accuracy? He would certainly not get first place, and his score would be hard to see among the other FL+HD scores. When looking at the leaderboards theres no difference between the scores at first glance. It is until you read the mods that you realize someone has actually DT'd the map.

If you have colored S's for different mod combinations, you would know at first glance the difference between the FL+HD runs and the DT+HD run(s). Back in August (or whatever month it was) Tom69's hacked score of Mendes would have showed up as a red S among a bunch of blue S's. When you consider the fact that Mendes is much harder on DT than on FL you understand why unique scores should get the extra attention. The same effect would happen on maps where FL is harder than DT, with the unique FL score standing among the crowd.

I mean, seriously, when you undertake the effort to get a unique record on a map, one of the primary reasons you do for is for visibility. "Look, my play is the only DT+HD run of the entire leaderboard!" This is the same reason why the SS rank got introduced in the first place, so why not take things further?
boat

Purple wrote:

so why not take things further?
Because it's already listed in detail just a tiny bit further to the right.

My two cents on this is that the client is already bloated with ugly things that I can't change or get rid of, and that anybody who actually cares about others scores on the leaderboard actually looks at the details rather than the letter rank.

A lot of work for very little, if at all any benefit. The scores in question are perfectly noticeable even as it is of now.

I already skinned every single one of them to get rid of the ugly bloat, yet despite using these I can with ease distinguish the innovative scores from the majority, because this is no harder to read than that

Babukus
The text really isn't hard to read and it shows all info on scores rather than colored S ranks. If S ranks were all different colors depending on rank combination, it would definitely confuse me more.

It would definitely be more clustered and confusing with different S colors.

Two letters [each mod] is not hard whatsoever to read, I feel it's easier than having to identify combinations with different colors.

boat wrote:

this is no harder to read than that
It doesn't need to be taken further.
Luna
Well, this isn't really just about finding scores in the ranking lists (at least for me it isn't).
I'd like it because i can't easily tell which of these scores are HR and which nomod without selecting the maps one by one:
Purple
It's not about finding scores. As my post stated, it's about additional visibility given to players who work hard for a unique score. After all, the competitive aspect of the game is all about building up a reputation. Unless you want to argue that it's about PP, in which case well... god help you.

Following the logic I'm reading here, we might as well remove the SS rank as people can clearly read the 100% text. Also, we might as well roll back the avatar-on-leaderboards update because the text is sufficient. Remove the GUI - text is sufficient.

Saying the leaderboards would be clustered with all sorts of different colors would only make sense if the leaderboards were clustered with all sorts of different mod combinations in different orders, which is very rarely the case.
she_old
something special for DT/HR would be great
VoidnOwO

she wrote:

Why?
she_old

BRBP wrote:

she wrote:

Why?
It's great to be able to find DT+HR plays at first glance between all the DT+HD plays. DT+HR usually means ar10.86 or higher which is fun and impressive to watch.
VoidnOwO
:)
she_old
That's true, there's no need for it with the new filter things, still would be very pretty tho
show more