forum

how to read when short repeating sliders end?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
vantheman
everything else about the game that used to frustrate me

stopped frustrating me over the course of my second thousand plays

Up to light insanes now, the only thing that I still find extremely frustrating is the subject line. I drop combos on streams for example, but I say "Ah, I just gotta practice more". These though, I don't get.

Edit: For example, if I were to blame any particular mapsets, the ones signed "Satellite".
Soarezi
I had problems with them up to like 15k playcount. The main thing is to be able to ''read'' the rhythm. What also helps is to know which finger to start with right after, and of course, reading the approach circle of the following hitcircle helps alot too, but on fast streams it's about understanding the rhythm. Just play more.
CXu
Hold down your finger until you need to hit the next note, or when you hear/see that the slider is done.
darkmiz
Every slider has an ending note with a hitsound. Listen carefully and try to catch those hitsounds.

This map is good for practice: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/193647
Aqo
Pretend there is no repeat there and you're just playing a low-SV slider, think how long on the timeline it occupies.
enik
Click the next note with another finger.
Dexus
if the slider is stacked or close to the next note you can just hold your finger down and focus on the one that comes after it and use your other finger to hit it without letting go of the first one. It's easier to time sliders that are awkward by doing this, especially extended sliders. It's like an odd form of alternating where you kind of "rock" to the next note.
Topic Starter
vantheman

enik wrote:

Click the next note with another finger.
Ah. Okay

It's off topic, but that's a distinct advantage to playing that way.
I'm playing wacom stylus only, tap and drag the pen, my left hand does nothing.
Wouldn't consider switching my playstyle because this is what I find fun (and whatever the prize for low rank is, I guess I'll just keep it)

Pressing before you release the key is obviously what the mapper expects the player to do there, this was the first map with a 1/8th that I tried to FC(http://osu.ppy.sh/b/171059&m=0), try after try I kept missing it, then I looked it up and saw it was a 1/8th - that probably wouldn't affect a person if they were just moving to the other key.

Back to the topic, the question still remains how does one "read" a slider with a hidden end(the methods for completing them, you guys covered thoroughly). The music can be a good hint, and there's an end hitsound, and distance snap may or may not give you a clue. They have their own rhythm but there's really no knowing if they're going to end on an even or odd step of it. Beyond guesses, only thing is learn the map.
silmarilen
approach circle and/or music are really the best way to read them
Almost
Usually they are mapped so they are each the same duration long so you can read the first one with the music and the rest you just hold for how long you held the first one for. Though there are some maps where this is not true though and you just have to listen carefully to the music or memorize the duration of each.
Shozonu
I usually hold on the slider and look for when the next note starts.
Soulg

Shozonu wrote:

I usually hold on the slider and look for when the next note starts.
please look at post dates