forum

Am I doing OK?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
c00boes
I have been playing on and off for a month or so and im lvl 13. I usually just click with my mouse but im going to try out using z/x to click. I can do 4.5 star maps pretty consistently. Am I doing OK for my amount of play time?

EDIT: I mostly play just to improve my mouse accuracy for other games. My playcount is 70.
Pettanko
It's difficult to judge someone's rate of progress since everyone learns at a different pace, but 70 playcount after a month of on and off playing is pretty low since a lot of people can get that many in 1-2 days of playing. Also star rating is unreliable since freedom dive [another] is 4.5 stars.
Pizzicato
are you having fun?
if yes, then you're doing just fine
if no, you're doing it wrong. you should be having fun
Methargica

Pizzicato wrote:

are you having fun?
Ignore morons like this. They are the ones doing it wrong. Do not worry about how long you have been playing, worry about your flaws and work on them. Be sure that you take things slow and gradually increase speed when comfortable. If you do not do this, it will be much harder to improve. Do you want to have good aim or do you just want to have fun? The choice is yours.
TakuMii

Methargica wrote:

Pizzicato wrote:

are you having fun?
Ignore morons like this. They are the ones doing it wrong.
wait what are you serious
If you're not having fun, there's no point to even playing the game. Games are made for entertainment, after all.

If you're aiming to improve, and you're not having fun at all, take a break. Playing in frustration can only be detrimental to your improvement. Use fun as a motivation to get better.
sorgenehtyals
If you're not having fun, then there is no point to play the game.
There is, and that's to improve and become a better player.

If you're aiming to improve, and you're not having fun at all, take a break.
Yes, restrict yourself to only that whats fun instead of that which will help you improve the most because it totally makes sense and is very effective for someone who looks to improve. +1 for your stupidity
Bites

Methargica wrote:

Ignore morons like this. They are the ones doing it wrong.
because you are the final word on the ultimate motive behind why we should play the game, right?

Methargica wrote:

If you do not do this, it will be much harder to improve.
i reiterate, the game does not revolve around you. what works for you may be the completely incorrect method of approach for another.

Methargica wrote:

Do you want to have good aim or do you just want to have fun?
possibly the silliest sentence that i've ever read on this website. go into your corner and think about what you've done. :|

i am continuing to see and read about players who consider themselves to give THE best possible advice, and anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid. yet, i go to their profile and i see their playcounts+time played, and compared to the scores they are getting i find it hard to believe anyone would accept some of the things they say!

"always train, keep training, even if you dont have fun you have to improve!"

ahahahaaaa. maybe this works to some small extent for you, but from my experience it does nothing except produce mindblocks and create frustration - it may be one strategy worth trying, but out of myself and all of my friends who i have introduced to the game, some of the biggest spurts of improvement come from when you take a break from the game! or when you stop playing it so incredibly frequently.

i went from being unable to pass airman to passing it with HD HR in less than a couple months and during those couple months i launched the game maybe ~15 times.

please, just because different people have different advice does not mean they are stupid or that you should call them so.
TakuMii
Really? Not only are you trying to disprove my point about games being designed for entertainment, but also assuming that "fun" means "playing it safe"?Not only that, but calling me stupid for your assumptions? Well then...

I enjoy maps like Airman and some of the 0108 maps despite barely being able to play them, but it doesn't mean that I'm not having fun nor does it mean that I'm restricting myself to "what's fun". I find challenging myself to be fun, and I've remained that way since I started playing.
Marcin
Hey guys, be all nice, don't be rude, you are supposed to help OP not argue over what someone said... At least don't call yourselves an idiots, or morons, or anything like that :(
Moonpower
You all got it wrong, this game was designed for one purpose:

To select the people with the best hand-eye coordination and reaction times. This is a program set up by the government, and the chosen people will be used in a special breeding program to generate super human. Only those with the dedication and talent to play Scarlet Rose will earn a spot.
Gigo

StormR1d3r wrote:

Yes, restrict yourself to only that whats fun instead of that which will help you improve the most because it totally makes sense and is very effective for someone who looks to improve. +1 for your stupidity
The stuff that's fun to play and the stuff that will help you improve are the same. If you find the maps enjoyable to play, then those maps will help you improve.

Methargica wrote:

Ignore morons like this. They are the ones doing it wrong. Do not worry about how long you have been playing, worry about your flaws and work on them. Be sure that you take things slow and gradually increase speed when comfortable. If you do not do this, it will be much harder to improve. Do you want to have good aim or do you just want to have fun? The choice is yours.
Oh I'm sorry, level 12 with 48 playcount, are you telling people how to play this game?!?!
Pizzicato
"morons like me"
that kinda hurt

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mikelicious
I dont get it. You just play osu to improve your mouse acc for play other games, right? If those other games requires mouse acc too..then why not play them instead of osu? Would be better imo cuz at the end you will end playing those games and not osu.
enik
Offending someone in the first forum post is a good way to say "hi" to the community.

-MikexD- wrote:

I dont get it. You just play osu to improve your mouse acc for play other games, right? If those other games requires mouse acc too..then why not play them instead of osu? Would be better imo cuz at the end you will end playing those games and not osu.
But they saw a famous LoL streamer playing osu! and he's good at LoL so clicking circles should definitely make them next LCS stars. Except it won't.
sorgenehtyals
i am continuing to see and read about players who consider themselves to give THE best possible advice, and anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid. yet, i go to their profile and i see their playcounts+time played, and compared to the scores they are getting i find it hard to believe anyone would accept some of the things they say!
implying everyone has the same resources at their side from the moment they start the game such that they have trained "properly" for as much time as their profile playcount + time played shows.

possibly the silliest sentence that i've ever read on this website. go into your corner and think about what you've done.
whats wrong with it? He's merely saying that you have a choice to make that will determine how you play.

ahahahaaaa. maybe this works to some small extent for you, but from my experience it does nothing except produce mindblocks and create frustration - it may be one strategy worth trying, but out of myself and all of my friends who i have introduced to the game, some of the biggest spurts of improvement come from when you take a break from the game! or when you stop playing it so incredibly frequently.
holy shit when did I say taking breaks is not important? What? Stop putting words in my mouth please.

Really? Not only are you trying to disprove my point about games being designed for entertainment, but also assuming that "fun" means "playing it safe"?Not only that, but calling me stupid for your assumptions? Well then...

I enjoy maps like Airman and some of the 0108 maps despite barely being able to play them, but it doesn't mean that I'm not having fun nor does it mean that I'm restricting myself to "what's fun". I find challenging myself to be fun, and I've remained that way since I started playing.
okay so, your turn. I'm not disproving anything. Games were indeed made purely for entertainment purposes but does that mean we can't play a game for a different purpose? Second part. challenging yourself with difficult maps may be fun but it's not the best way to train. In order to improve a certain skill you have to expose yourself to such a situation were you are forced to consistently use that skill and that skill alone. This tends to be very repetitive and people who can find pleasure in this are extremely rare. I think i'm done with this..? on to the next part!

The stuff that's fun to play and the stuff that will help you improve are the same. If you find the maps enjoyable to play, then those maps will help you improve.
No, they are not for most people. Some people have passion for what they are doing but, again, such people are very rare.

h I'm sorry, level 12 with 48 playcount, are you telling people how to play this game?!?!
implying osu is the only game in the world by saying he has no experience with skill and high level of play that demands raw skill before. Methargica's advice isn't something you need to play osu in order to understand so his playcount doesn't mean he is a clueless guy when it comes to skill.In order words it does not specifically pertain to osu.(and i like how everyone i've seen so far uses this argument and hasn't yet seen how retarded it looks) Try again.

please, just because different people have different advice does not mean they are stupid or that you should call them so.
I think I said his advice is stupid and not him? dunno. doesn't matter anyway

"morons like me"
that kinda hurt
And what does that imply?

Did I miss anything? I think not.
RaneFire
I do smell trolls, but for those who may be taking this conversation seriously... Take some advice... playing osu! only to get good will do nothing for you. Your name is on a leaderboard, but noone really cares any more than the confines of the game. It won't change your life at all.

jghjghjgjghjhgj
A fraction of the players in the game will respect you for that... until they quit of course and stop caring. Or until you quit and they quit 1 by 1, and the community slowly gets replaced by players who never knew you in the first place - it only takes 1-2 years, but it's gonna take you 5000+ hours of playtime to get there. The majority of players will not make any great assumptions about your real life either, seeing as you're so damn good at a computer game, you must have invested all of your time into it instead of doing anything productive like planning for the future.

And also people who don't play this game don't understand what being good is, they won't give you any recognition at all. Your so called achievement is worth nothing outside the game. I experience it in q3 defrag. It's a retarded game afterall, being good at it means nothing to anyone because, you know, it's so easy and only requires time. I mean the game is so stupid, I just jump around a map and get to the finish line, easy right? Same sorta deal in osu!, click circles all day and get some random numbers that mean something to some people.

It's also guaranteed your future employer doesn't care what gaming achievements you had, unless your a pro gamer, which most people aren't. Even the mention of computer games raises a red flag because most work is done on computers these days and they don't want you fooling around at all so you better keep quiet and carry on with life like you never played osu! in the first place.
If getting good is FUN, that's different.
Seikunai
Take it slowly. Start at Easy, then Normal then so on.
sorgenehtyals
In short, trying to become good in osu is the same as being the best at eating pancakes for the shortest amount of time possible. Who cares? Although for the people who actually care about skill osu is simply a nice way for them to achieve and it doesn't take ALL their time, like a side interest.

Although I think such advice is not need in this thread, RaneFire.
RaneFire

StormR1d3r wrote:

Although I think such advice is not need in this thread, RaneFire.
I'm just trying to defuse the debate on "go pro or go home" in 1 post.
usa
this thread must have scared you, poor thing.
*strokes head* ( ´ ▽ ` )ノc00boes do good.
Pizzicato
this thread escalated quickly
like seriously.
nrl

RaneFire wrote:

playing osu! only to get good will do nothing for you
Your achievements within osu! might do nothing good for you, but the time you spent will have helped you build both a good sense of discipline and inhuman hand-eye coordination. Sure, you can get both of those through other, more productive means, but it's just wrong to say games like osu! are completely worthless.

Oh, and fun. Some people simply enjoy competition.
iSpR1Te

enik wrote:

But they saw a famous LoL streamer playing osu! and he's good at LoL so clicking circles should definitely make them next LCS stars. Except it won't.
Sadly, this is the reason I started to play osu! I quickly realized that this wasn't going to help me get better at other games, so I quit LoL and now only play osu! :o
RaneFire

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

playing osu! only to get good will do nothing for you
Your achievements within osu! might do nothing good for you, but the time you spent will have helped you build both a good sense of discipline and inhuman hand-eye coordination. Sure, you can get both of those through other, more productive means, but it's just wrong to say games like osu! are completely worthless.

Oh, and fun. Some people simply enjoy competition.
Yeah, coordination is cool. Funnily enough I do actually have a use for it, as I draw architectural plans in CAD for work. So I work really fast thanks to the games I play. But it depends, because at the same time I also get stressed easily and that's not good for me. But you don't really need it, it's just a bonus to productivity and ability to concentrate, provided that you are passionate about what you do.
Methargica
Ok
NixXSkate
lol people are weird
RaneFire
@Methargica
Except that "aim" in osu! is very linked to the rhythm you perceive, and you purposely slow down your reflexes in order to be consistent.
If you really want to "train aim"... aim400kg is just around the corner and is actually a much better solution if you are not interested in having fun.

I see you have a "brohopping" vid. Maybe you can come give q3 defrag a try, as it does have the highest skilled speedrunners out of any FPS game at the moment, so it's good fun if you are still interested in that. Good for coordination of your movement too while aiming. Of course it does not train aiming per se, that needs to be practiced elsewhere... on live targets. Circles in osu! are not live targets either though. Practicing static aim alone only gets you so far.
Wishy
It's lovely how people in this sub-forum are usually newbies giving bad advice to other newbies. <3
Pizzicato
small people talking big trying to compensate i guess
Lach
Does nobody else play this game because they like chasing big round things and clicking them with a satisfying 'pop' noise?
brendanuhs

Moonpower wrote:

To select the people with the best hand-eye coordination and reaction times. This is a program set up by the government, and the chosen people will be used in a special breeding program to generate super human. Only those with the dedication and talent to play Scarlet Rose will earn a spot.
implying Scarlet Rose is hard
Martinawa

brendanuhs wrote:

Moonpower wrote:

Implying you can pass it.

Lach wrote:

Does nobody else play this game because they like chasing big round things and clicking them with a satisfying 'pop' noise?
There's a lot of people that only plays a little and only for fun, as I do. But many of that people don't care who is the most pro, or if theirselves are good or bad at the game. They don't even care about which is the right way to play because they only want to have fun playing for a while. That's why maybe you won't see many of them here in this subforum.

For the OP: Don't care about anything and keep going as long as you're having fun with the game. Level 13 in 70 plays is not bad, and if you say you can already play 4.5 star maps, I thing you're doing pretty good progress (I was able to pass about 2 to 3 stars maps when I was at 70 plays, though my progress in my beginnings was pretty slow). Keep going if you want :)

And... ¿What has LoL to be with osu!? There are really different games and being good in one won't make you better in the other...
buny

brendanuhs wrote:

Moonpower wrote:

i can't pass even with ht and no fail
show more