forum

[invalid] Increase maximum length for usernames

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +52
show more
Anzo
Why not let the forum adapt to such long names? like having a smaller font.

I tried to reduce the username font size from 250% to 180% (reduction percentage changes according to the username length. Of course, only long usernames without spaces)

And I ended up with this...
Trash Boat
if this is applied, it won't be no longer rare the fact that you may find an user called TheMostCoolestUserNameThatIHadEver, or something like that
peppy
The issue gets a love more grave if you consider larger characters, when people abuse the width of characters to make even longer names (and this is how I decided the current limit in the first place). Keep in mind that profiles aren't the only place that usernames are displayed, too.
Oinari-sama
April Fool 2014:

[peppy] Changed the maximum username character limit to 256 characters

=> While in fact displays everything longer than current limit as ~ (like older windows lol)
Topic Starter
Kodora

peppy wrote:

The issue gets a love more grave if you consider larger characters, when people abuse the width of characters to make even longer names (and this is how I decided the current limit in the first place).
I am not sure, but, as i said, 16 looks pretty fine everywhere. Most of 10+ characters usernames needs space anyway, so it won't looks bad.

About abuse potential - i doubt that people will use new characters limit for this. Absolute majority of active people who arrived before current limit was implimented have pretty nice usernames what didn't break anything (Kurusugawa Himeko, lol), and i really doubt that someone active will seriosly keep with ugly username like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" (i don't saw any active person on forum with username like this). Actually, it will be impossible to abuse with 16 characters limit anyway. (16S - not goes offscreen)

peppy wrote:

Keep in mind that profiles aren't the only place that usernames are displayed, too.
Oh, is there are problems in other places about it?

Hana Kana wrote:

Why not let the forum adapt to such long names? like having a smaller font.

I tried to reduce the username font size from 250% to 180% (reduction percentage changes according to the username length. Of course, only long usernames without spaces)
If problem is only about this it would be really awesome solution imo. :)
Topic Starter
Kodora
Bump
Sea_Food

peppy wrote:

The issue gets a love more grave if you consider larger characters, when people abuse the width of characters to make even longer names (and this is how I decided the current limit in the first place). Keep in mind that profiles aren't the only place that usernames are displayed, too.
How about use a "Maximum name size" limit like in many other games? Name must fit into a certain size box of pixels. Like "W" equals like 3 of "i"s.
Topic Starter
Kodora
Bump ._.
Topic Starter
Kodora
Bump :|
Stefan

Kodora wrote:

Actually, it will be impossible to abuse with 16 characters limit anyway. (16S - not goes offscreen)
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/wwwwwwwwwwwwww has 14 w.
Kuchibiiru
-w- Most names go off screen because of the width of the letter itself, Like 'G' and 'W' :P
Topic Starter
Kodora

Stefan wrote:

Kodora wrote:

Actually, it will be impossible to abuse with 16 characters limit anyway. (16S - not goes offscreen)
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/wwwwwwwwwwwwww has 14 w.

p/2649584
Stefan
Then we should force this instead to care for the moment about the maximum lenght. Also we should see if other things in the forum would be affected by decreasing the font size.
Topic Starter
Kodora

Stefan wrote:

Then we should force this instead to care for the moment about the maximum lenght. Also we should see if other things in the forum would be affected by decreasing the font size.
There are already a lot of people who registered with extremely long usernames. If characters lenght cases some problems with forums or client imo then they should be fixed then as usual bugs instead disallowing of having username longer than 15 characters - i really don't think that just disallowing is a good solution :х
Topic Starter
Kodora
bump o.o
OvO_old_1
I will try to change my username to Kurusugawa Himeko after "Himemiya Chikane"'s request is permitted >///<!!
*OvO hides ><
Topic Starter
Kodora
Bump

I hope new font can be a positive change and might help to resolve existing problems with username lenght.
Kiiwa
Honestly, I don't see the point in increasing the limit in the first place.

What happens when it's changed to 16 and someone comes along saying "Just one more character!!"?
Is it fair to accept their request and go through all the (supposed) hard work to increase this limit? Or perhaps it would be a good idea to just say to this individual, "Too bad."?

I can't see this being of any benefit to the community other than you wanting to change your name to something in specific that breaks this character limit :P.

SPOILER
plz forgive me kodora i <3 u
Shivarion

Trash Boat wrote:

if this is applied, it won't be no longer rare the fact that you may find an user called TheMostCoolestUserNameThatIHadEver, or something like that
woooh what an epic name lol
Derekku

Kiiwa wrote:

What happens when it's changed to 16 and someone comes along saying "Just one more character!!"?
Exactly. The current length should be more than enough.