forum

Why is hidden so hard?

posted
Total Posts
show more
buny

pielak213 wrote:

why don't you guys believe him? his frames are simply dropping for some reason...
well it might be, and apparently some people can't handle a joke either
Cokezi-

Dexus wrote:

yeah I lose 0 to 60% of my frames depending on what I set the frame limiter to.
Get a better PC, grats on learning to play hidden. :^)
Espionage724

Dexus wrote:

That is... strange.

Have you tried using OpenGL and/or disabling Shader Effects? Are you forcing any override settings from your GPU control or other software (like AA)?
RaneFire

Cokezi- wrote:

Dexus wrote:

Get a better PC, grats on learning to play hidden. :^)
I don't know how any pc's from 7+ years ago are still alive. Since my last PC lasted me 4 years and could play osu! fine at 500'ish fps. And that was 2 years ago (i.e. 6 year old technology). His problem is something else.
Aqo
random fact

osu was made in 2007

today is 2013. soon 2014
Dexus
A better PC?

Intel i7-4770k 4.5GHz core clock 4.0GHz ring clock
AMD 7990 stock speed single gpu mode default settings
12GB RAM at 2133MHz
I have non-stock coolers

I run the game with RadeonPro to set it to 0 Flip queue and I play the game on OpenGL with 600 fps written in the config. I can't run the game on DirectX unlimited as my PC is too strong and would overheat. Simply need to wait for OpenGL to be more optimized, but until then I am fine without playing hidden. Trust me when I've said that I tried everything under the sun when it comes to settings.

I don't know how what buny said was a joke. Just a word of advice: Sarcasm doesn't travel well over the internet.
Lach
Did you ever stop and think that maybe it's Haswell chips that just suck? And it sounds like bullshit that your pc is too strong and would overheat. Components are rated for 95c without failing.

Do you have a PCI-E sound card? If so, rip it out and toss it in the fire.
Espionage724

Lach wrote:

Did you ever stop and think that maybe it's Haswell chips that just suck? And it sounds like bullshit that your pc is too strong and would overheat. Components are rated for 95c without failing.

Do you have a PCI-E sound card? If so, rip it out and toss it in the fire.
I believe he said it was only Hidden that caused the added latency?

If I run unlimited frames, the GPU pushes as many frames as it can (over 1000+ for me), and uses as much power as possible to do so, thus generating more heat. I don't reach the point of overheating though to be fair, but I have a custom GPU cooler and I'm in a relatively cool environment.

The old 7850 I used to have had a shut-off temp of 107C, and throttling at 100C, which I managed to reach for a few minutes, and my card still worked fine afterwards.

What's wrong with a PCI-E sound card?
Lach
Haven't read the rest of the thread, because it sounds like bitching. PCI-E sound cards have audio latency and shitty drivers. (Audio drivers have been a problem for others in the past, resulting in microstutters and 'input lag' on this game)

Anyway, Dexus should try playing on another computer. If there's no problem on that one, RMA overpriced parts, buy a $400 Dell. What is likely happening, though, is that it's all in your head. You're trying your hardest to read the fadeouts and focus less on aiming properly.
RaneFire
Your PC is too fast. Get a slower one. Srs.

Your GPU will speed-step as needed only to do what it needs to do. If running the game at 600 fps is not enough to push it past it's first setting, then it's gonna lag because it's a high end gaming card - not designed to run smoothly at low clock settings. This is the part where you actually helped ME before. By setting my FPS to unlimited, my GPU clock ran at peak performance (frame limited by MSI Afterburner) and the lag was gone. Perfect smoothness. If I limited it any other way, my GPU clock would drop to a lower setting to save itself, and I would get frame lag. Temp only tops out at 55C while playing anyway so there's no problem doing that.

Speed-stepped lower clock settings = lag.

Noone said anything about sound cards. Although most people know about the delay already, because it is mentioned in just about every review, and that creative has bad drivers. Asus seems to be doing better, but I'm still not convinced to actually buy one. Current day realtek onboard sound is 192KHz/24bit, 97dB SNR with a headphone amp (on my board). As far as I'm concerned, this is fine.
Espionage724

RaneFire wrote:

Speed-stepped lower clock settings = lag.

Noone said anything about sound cards. Although most people know about the delay already, pre-purchase, because it is mentioned in just about every review, and that creative has bad drivers. Asus seems to be doing better, but I'm still not convinced to actually buy one.
He said the latency only becomes apparent with the use of Hidden mod. I don't know the "technical" details of HD, but I see no obvious reason as to why it would cause a problem unless it uses a different rendering method for beats or something unexpected. I'd probably file a bug report and see what peppy or another dev has to say about it.

It's like playing a racing game, where one car in-particular painted purple drops your framerate, but the same car painted yellow works fine.

As for the sound card, I'm curious about why there would be any more added latency in-comparison to onboard audio, especially since both would end up going over PCI-E anyway (or PCI, or some kind of bus). Drivers I imagine would be the largest determining factor to latency.

As for ASUS, if you're going to use their audio cards, use UniXonar drivers (it'll save you from a lot of regret with latency issues and other more or less severe problems)
Dexus
PCI-e sound card, nope.

I played with a AMD 7770 graphics card and still had issues. I play on my laptop and it's even worse. I even upgraded my mother board and processor (previously an i5-2500k, and the upgrade wasn't just because of osu!)

The issue isn't the hardware at all, it's the software (The game itself). Peppy has said he's going to update the game engine and optimize OpenGL. I'm fine with waiting. This game is really well optimized if you have an old or slower computer, but for high end computers it's rather difficult to get it to be stable WITHOUT the use of external software. Even then there are still issues.

Also the game really does crash a lot on me; this time it actually gave me an error. It really is BS though because my graphics card has 3GB RAM
Cokezi-

Dexus wrote:

PCI-e sound card, nope.

I played with a AMD 7770 graphics card and still had issues. I play on my laptop and it's even worse. I even upgraded my mother board and processor (previously an i5-2500k, and the upgrade wasn't just because of osu!)

The issue isn't the hardware at all, it's the software (The game itself). Peppy has said he's going to update the game engine and optimize OpenGL. I'm fine with waiting. This game is really well optimized if you have an old or slower computer, but for high end computers it's rather difficult to get it to be stable WITHOUT the use of external software. Even then there are still issues.

Also the game really does crash a lot on me; this time it actually gave me an error. It really is BS though because my graphics card has 3GB RAM
Try settings like these.. http://puu.sh/4W1sy.png
RaneFire
You might wanna open a tech support thread. We can't help you other than say play on DirectX like everyone else.

I know you get marginally less rendering delay on OpenGL, but it's not big enough to warrant the trouble of crashes and frame drops. I also tried out OpenGL, but solely for compatibility's sake I went back to DirectX as I had also experienced crashes.

As for overheating... wut? Why have a fast PC if you can't use it?

On a side note "Did You Know?..."
You can play osu! in OpenGL while running other games like WoW at the same time. But it doesn't work for DirectX.

...Now I'm gonna finally post something on-topic:

I also have trouble with 2, 3 and 4 of your problems.
All I can say about them is it's to be expected and I am still learning to read fade frequencies so I can differentiate 1/2's and 1/4 stacks better.
Trap notes (pixel perfect) require some shifty eyes, sometimes memorisation, and sometimes anticipation if the musical cue is there. If you can read the mapper's style, and he likes to do this, it is possible to anticipate further trap notes and much easier to commit to memory if a 2nd play is required.
Missing jumps is about how good your imagery of reading hidden is and only comes with practice, like all the above. (Imagery = short term picture memory) But it's also coupled with rhythm... Like jumping too fast (out of rhythm).
Lach
If the problem lies with the game itself, how come nobody else complains about it? (I'm talking about on the level that you are)
pielak213
­
Lach
Which is why settings such as unlimited(gameplay) exist
RaneFire
If you pause the game, no matter what your setting is, osu! will cap at 500 fps.
The song select menu is significantly more demanding and will run your PC at almost full blast whether you are limited to 500'ish fps or not.

So all I do is run it unlimited with MSI Afterburner frame limiter, and when I take a break I have developed a habit of hitting the boss-key (insert) to minimise to tray and everything calms down when I need to do something else. Best way to preserve your pc is to not leave games rendering when you're not using it, beyond that anything else is not really necessary since you aren't stressing it full-time.
quaternary
Try a transparent white hitcircleoverlay.png and 100% dim so you can see the notes. I've found success in removing the note numbers from my skin as well.
FrzR
For Hidden mod what i've noticed especially on sliders is that the numbers act as an approach rate. When it disappears that's the time to click.