forum

osu! World Cup 2013 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
silmarilen
people should be able to read ar9 if they want to be in owc. its not all about faster faster faster.
also doesnt more misses make things more exciting? i remember people complaining about so called "accuracy matches"
CXu
It's a tiebreaker. I'd rather have everyone compete on equal basis really.
kriers
beatmaps were a bit on the hard side for r1 last year, I remember.

This year takes the cake.
nya10
A little review from a newbie like me xD

No mod map pool:
That number 1 nomod map '-' , somehow, some part make me surprised (I'm talking about the map, not the background or otherelse)
Love number 4 and 6 pick :3
Speechless to number 5 pick (Middleisland - Roze)

Freemod:
Shotgun Seronita can be easy, but it is risky to play with HR. Yes, I love that pick

Tiebreaker:
Much more difficult than last year (Actually all of this year map is more difficult)

Will be updated, haven't reviewed all of the maps.
(Only need to download 4 maps from this map pool xD)
silmarilen
i really like this mappool
Scrublord_old
http://puu.sh/57CFp.db Here are the collections sorted by mods. Make sure you backup your own collection.db file so you dont lose your own collections
Zare
NoMod
MiddleIsland - Roze (Lan wings) [Lan]

WHY. Seriously, I don't want to start hating or anything, but I want a SERIOUS explanation why THIS map was chosen.
It's a very experimental map and I don't say that it is bad, but it is GAMEPLAYWISE pretty much a free SS except for the one part in the middle. It's OD6, come on. So it comes down to that one part which like 10 seconds and the other 3 minutes don't even matter.
In games, a level, a stage should have a constant difficulty level so the player can play it until he passes it and can then move on to the next stage. If there's one part in that stage which is SIGNIFICANTLY harder than the rest it makes that whole rest of the stage redundant and in the end boring for the player who only struggles with that one obstacle.
Again, the map isn't bad, it's experimental, the timing is reaaaally impressive (shoutout to Charles) and it is well done, BUT FOR A TOURNAMENT this seems like a really bad pick to me.
Moonpower
I like the mappool :) , especially the HR en DT picks. Plus it has my favourite maps Lagomorphic and Luv Letter.
fartownik

Zarerion wrote:

NoMod
MiddleIsland - Roze (Lan wings) [Lan]

WHY. Seriously, I don't want to start hating or anything, but I want a SERIOUS explanation why THIS map was chosen.
It's a very experimental map and I don't say that it is bad, but it is GAMEPLAYWISE pretty much a free SS except for the one part in the middle. It's OD6, come on. So it comes down to that one part which like 10 seconds and the other 3 minutes don't even matter.
In games, a level, a stage should have a constant difficulty level so the player can play it until he passes it and can then move on to the next stage. If there's one part in that stage which is SIGNIFICANTLY harder than the rest it makes that whole rest of the stage redundant and in the end boring for the player who only struggles with that one obstacle.
Again, the map isn't bad, it's experimental, the timing is reaaaally impressive (shoutout to Charles) and it is well done, BUT FOR A TOURNAMENT this seems like a really bad pick to me.
Couldn't agree more.

Rest is fine tho.
Mismagius
holy crap this is incredibly difficult. nice picks though
Vmx
how is this even going to work if multiplayer isn't even working, we are trying to play and random crashes happen nonstop then there is huge lag I see other people playing while I am stuck at "waiting for players" and then I start playing 20sec late like wat is dis. Also passing lead takes like 30sec to register same with ready and start button its just stupid and unplayable chat also lags.
fartownik
Ah, sorry. The Freemod picks are questionable, especially the Miku one. The risk vs reward ratio is too high. I think you misunderstood the meaning of the FreeMod here. The map should be as hard with HardRock as the maps from HardRock pool are, same goes for Hidden. The Miku map is definitely harder than all the HardRock maps from the pool, it's just too risky to miss for anyone to pick HR on it. You picked some maps in NoMod & Hidden that could work very well in the FreeMod bracket - Artcore Jinja, Max Love or manima ni. All these maps have a fair amount of HD and HR scores in the scoreboard and would be a rewarding and safe pick during the match.

Please re-think the FreeMod next time.
Pizzicato

Marcin wrote:

Request accepted, here is your pack http://www.mediafire.com/?jn0c8p6wqfrtfhb

EDIT: added on wiki at the top of group stage section.
thanks <3

the maps are challenging, but they're really nice
fuck roze.
Gigo
I am really disappointed that Scarlet Rose and Big Black weren't chosen! I am crying as I write this... :(
Flanster

Artaxerx wrote:

I am really disappointed that Scarlet Rose and Big Black weren't chosen! I am crying as I write this... :(
you make me feel ashamed
AmaiHachimitsu
And I was just to say "pls don't pick best maps at the very beginning", I was late.

1. It's epic
2. I can't see the experimental thingy in this map apart from uncommon tune.
3. it's epic
Zare
did you even read my post?

Don't choose maps for being popular please
Gigo

LoliFlan wrote:

Artaxerx wrote:

you make me feel ashamed
Uhm... what?! Did you seriously not get the sarcasm in my post?!
Metro

Zarerion wrote:

Since when 50k plays on an insane diff is "popular"? It's quite the contrary. Because of the BPM changes and the slow parts it's unpopular to most but popular to players that can appreciate it.
Darksonic
I'm glad to know most of you guys liked the picks, hope you all can feel the real challenge this year ;)
Hiryuu_old
The mappool could've been better.

Why in gods name would someone include roze into this pool, that is beyond me
Darksonic

ShinseinaTenshi wrote:

The mappool could've been better
It always can be better, but that's better than nothing, or better than maps that everyone in a match are able to fc which would make it really boring :p

Also, if you guys don't like Roze just don't pick it, that map is there because is pretty challenging and we wanted to see how you guys will do there, besides the map is pretty decent and fits really good with the other picks in the round.
Noriko

Darksonic wrote:

ShinseinaTenshi wrote:

It always can be better, but that's better than nothing, or better than maps that everyone in a match are able to fc which would make it really boring :p
So maps that go batsh.. halfway through? Okay
fartownik

Darksonic wrote:

ShinseinaTenshi wrote:

Also, if you guys don't like Roze just don't pick it, that map is there because is pretty challenging and we wanted to see how you guys will do there, besides the map is pretty decent and fits really good with the other picks in the round.
Roze is not a good pick since it's a gimmick map, the 230bpm part with AR9 makes players highly vulnerable for misses. I won't be surprised if even top players miss there at random (if it's even picked, which I doubt in the first place).

I hope you will at least think off my notices about the FreeMod bracket. 'better than nothing' is not a very convincing argument of the maps' quality.
Zare

Metro wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

Since when 50k plays on an insane diff is "popular"? It's quite the contrary. Because of the BPM changes and the slow parts it's unpopular to most but popular to players that can appreciate it.
Implying I don't appreciate it, lol. I said, the map is pretty awesome, it's just very shitty for a tournament, and I still wonder why anyone would think it would be a good idea to choose for this mappool.
Metro

Zarerion wrote:

Implying I don't appreciate it, lol. I said, the map is pretty awesome, it's just very shitty for a tournament, and I still wonder why anyone would think it would be a good idea to choose for this mappool.
I wasn't implying anything and I wasn't saying if it fits or not for tournament. You were calling it a popular map and I called you out on it. That's all.
Darksonic

fartownik wrote:

Roze is not a good pick since it's a gimmick map, the 230bpm part with AR9 makes players highly vulnerable for misses. I won't be surprised if even top players miss there at random (if it's even picked, which I doubt in the first place).

I hope you will at least think off my notices about the FreeMod bracket. 'better than nothing' is not a very convincing argument of the maps' quality.
I've read every opinion and complain, and that line I said was not referring to the quality or to something like "Oh yeah these maps were the only ones I found that people could play, so enjoy it or don't even play them, that's how it is.".. just no. As I said before, we wanted to have more challenging and different stuff this time, one map different than the others won't hurt, and I even can bet that map won't be even picked and if it is, I would like to see how people does there, because even if the map is hard and people could miss easily there, we have to agree that it would be fun to watch.

About the FreeMod bracket, you surely got a point, but these hard picks will be only for the first round, I mean, I'm thinking about a different mappool for the next round, difficulty and brackets related so you guys don't have to worry about this because the FreeMod ones won't be that hard each round. I have to say that at the end we didn't have too much time to pick, Wishy got abscent one week ago and I had to find/change (In case I find something better than other old pick) the last maps by myself. We were making it since the first day and then we were changing lots of maps on it until some days ago.

So yeah, opinions and complains are always welcome, I want to know what everyone thinks about this, it maybe could help us to think a bit better at the next rounds' picks.
Wishy
Freemod is broken because of the fact that usually to add a mod is not viable, mods are only useful if the map is a free FC so adding mods could actually help you win. If using at least one mod was mandatory it would be quite interesting but truth is you can just play nomod so there is no real point to using mods.

If we pick some free FC map then, at always, it will be picked just because it's easy and for some reason people tend to think that if they do good on a map (even if it's because it's damn easy) they have high chances of winning.
Zare

Darksonic wrote:

fartownik wrote:

I've read every opinion and complain, and that line I said was not referring to the quality or to something like "Oh yeah these maps were the only ones I found that people could play, so enjoy it or don't even play them, that's how it is.".. just no. As I said before, we wanted to have more challenging and different stuff this time, one map different than the others won't hurt, and I even can bet that map won't be even picked and if it is, I would like to see how people does there, because even if the map is hard and people could miss easily there, we have to agree that it would be fun to watch.
The problem about Roze is not that it's hard. The problem is that it's in fact very easy except for one single jump part, which is just annoying. I can tell you what happens if someone really picks it.
We will have 8 super nervous players playing, probably SSing the whole map, everyone is waiting for that one part and 6 out of 8 players (assuming it's not Korea vs Japan) will miss there, nope, I don't think that will be fun for the players or viewers.
why do you even choose maps when you don't expect it to be picked.
Not ranting, just giving feedback so future mappools won't have such problems.

@Metro: yeah sorry. It's less popular and more well known among the active community thanks to the timing. That's what I originally meant.
silmarilen
i like roze, i would love to see it get picked just to see who can get through that one part
Darksonic

silmarilen wrote:

i like roze, i would love to see it get picked just to see who can get through that one part
This is the main idea of it, it's better than a map where all the players are able to fc without efforts, imo.
AmaiHachimitsu
The problem about Roze is not that it's hard. The problem is that it's in fact very easy except for one single jump part, which is just annoying. I can tell you what happens if someone really picks it.
I think the map is equally hard starting from jump part to the ending slowdown. So it's like half of the whole combo.

I'm disappointed that this map is in nomod bracket. It would fit either freemod OR a hr pick in ko stage.

As to other maps, I still find some being easier than the rest, significantly. But maybe it's just player's preference. Overally I think the pool is quite ok.

Jump Around and this TOTAL OBJECTION are pretty boring, but it's again taste.
Salvage
Higurashi Moratorium it's ok i guess, Jump Arround it's pretty boring but well.

And the rest of the maps are fine, i agree with farto on the free mod bracket tho.
buny
could've used more maps in the pool imo
looks nice though
fartownik

Every score on Roze in the tournament ever ;(
ethox
Otherwise a nice map pool, but this makes it even harder for less capable teams to get past the group stage. All maps are CS4, BPM dispersion is way too small imho and a lot of maps with either high jumps or streams. I guess I do appreciate a few stylistic differences between the maps, but there's just a huge lack of mechanical variety. This is the first group stage, so with the amount of maps there are (seems like it doubles up each year :p) I thought there would be a showing of other ends of the spectrum, but I guess you can't have it all. Also I'm a little disappointed since I've only played 6 maps out of the current pool and I seriously lack time to practice, but I won't go down without a fight! Let's just hope I don't have to work during the weekend.

Got the rant out of the way. Good luck to all contestants nevertheless!

ditto: I request a no-vid map pack
Mythiax
mappool is jumpy as hell... tho i guess is ok for a OWC... group stage? It's more a filter than a mappool imo but w/e.
buny
just realised tie breaker is easier/same difficulty than the no mods. lol
Nerumi-S
Oh Let's rock
AmaiHachimitsu

fartownik wrote:

Every score on Roze in the tournament ever ;(

Now seriously, Roze will be a pain in the ass, and I like it
show more