osu! World Cup 2013 - Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
1,715
show more
Salvage
I have to agree with GN here since FL would only bring trouble to the tournament, also i don't really think it's that fun to watch since i rather watch a tournament in similar conditions, i have to agree as well that stubbornness and stubbornness only will make it stay as it is.
Topic Starter
Loctav

Hernan wrote:

Just wondering when Loctav is gonna learn some manners
Probably never :C

@-GN We can deal with the dramas in case they arise. No need to be afraid of the monster under the bed.
Metro
Ever heard of "an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure" or "better safe than sorry"? That's the point we're trying to make here. And we all agree on removing FL.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Just because you consider FL as "not worth for tournaments" and a hand-full people agree with you, it's not valid.
Let's more say it like this: I remember tons of people being heavily against mod brackets. Now they are established. Give it a chance. If it sucks, we can remove it later.
Metro
Mod brackets are very different to flashlight usage lol but it's impossible to reason anything with you.
eldnl

Metro wrote:

Mod brackets are very different to flashlight usage lol but it's impossible to reason anything with you.
Let's give it a chance, is not like the world will end, there should be some maps that could fit perfectly for fl.
Topic Starter
Loctav
I do see your point why you consider it as "not worth it" or why you are afraid of cheaters using it. It's not like I do not understand your concerns. But the reasons are still based on assumptions and fears, opinions and tastes - which differ widely. I see no harm in allowing FL in FreeMod, especially because it's in FreeMod. Think about the chances of it's usage and think about, if it's even worth making noise about an option that probably no one is going to use. I remember a lot of cases where people were heavily against certain changes in the world cups, starting with mapselection at all, ending with mod brackets and commentators. Out of my experience, I tend to give things a chance. And iirc, the map selectors agreed with me on that.
Moonpower

Loctav wrote:

We can deal with the dramas in case they arise. No need to be afraid of the monster under the bed.
We all know how good you guys are at this. :roll:

pls someone practice FL, I demand some drama
jesse1412

Loctav wrote:

Just because you consider FL as "not worth for tournaments" and a hand-full people agree with you, it's not valid.
Let's more say it like this: I remember tons of people being heavily against mod brackets. Now they are established. Give it a chance. If it sucks, we can remove it later.
Pretty sure we had a poll on some of the things people disagreed on last year, do it again and I'm 99% sure it'll be a landslide against FL.
Mismagius
So you can just get an easy 1-0 if you tell everyone from your team to FL practice the lowest-combo map on the free-mod bracket?
Seems very unlikely because of the pressure situation and that stuff, but still may happen. Whatever, though :P
Salvage
No player likes this addition and i can see how you like it being a casual osu standard player, you already know it probabbly won't be used anyways, so i don't see a problem making a poll about it to determine it's usage.



Also, can the warmup map decide who gets to choose first as it did in the previous owc or is the !roll a must?
Topic Starter
Loctav
Stuff like this doesn't get decided by a poll. Like eldnl said, give it a chance and let's try it. If you were right about it's inappropriate existence in the owc, we will notice and adjust our rules to it.
We had our concerns, too. But instead of adding an entire FL bracket, we decided for this way to see how good FL is received in matches self - not in prior discussions. Let us make the experience how it works out. And then decide.
If you don't make a huge drama of it (this is dependent on your own discretion), we can sort it out in a civil manner.
But bare words do not convince me or the rest of the management, yet we share certain concerns. But we are not conservative.

!roll is a must.
Thatgooey
I really hope we don't keep flashlight mod. It will not be fun to play for most participants, and it would not be fun to watch. Nobody wants to open up the stream and see 7 people frantically throwing their cursor all over the screen constantly missing and getting 100s/50s and 1 person who practiced that map for a week click circles nobody can see. It's not fun for the players, and it's not fun for the viewers. At least hidden is fun to play and watch. I think we should have a vote for flashlight mod. This is the one big osu! community tournament for the year that everyone looks forward to, so I think the community should be able to decide if FL should be allowed. It is always a controversial mod here on the forums, whether any of the claims are true or not. This is supposed to be a fun tournament to bring the world together to play some osu, not tear it apart. I can only see FL causing rifts between the community, so why allow it? My opinion is only one of many, but I think this is an issue that is important.

Put it to a vote and let the community decide.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Based on the first lines of your post, you didn't understand how freemod works. I stopped reading then since your whole post was based on a false fundament
Callum

Loctav wrote:

Based on the first lines of your post, you didn't understand how freemod works. I stopped reading then since your whole post was based on a false fundament
That is just ignorant. He still brings up some good points.

Thatgooey wrote:

This is the one big osu! community tournament for the year that everyone looks forward to, so I think the community should be able to decide if FL should be allowed. It is always a controversial mod here on the forums, whether any of the claims are true or not. This is supposed to be a fun tournament to bring the world together to play some osu
Kanye West

Loctav wrote:

Based on the first lines of your post, you didn't understand how freemod works. I stopped reading then since your whole post was based on a false fundament
I think Thatgooey meant to say that he wanted a no-flashlight-rule associated with freemod. As in, players can pick any mod except FL. Which I agree with for the same reasons stated by him.

Additionally, what if FL is allowed and someone cheats? So you end up with 7 crappy scores/fails and 1 good cheated score, with the cheater's team picking only freemod maps and winning every single time.
Topic Starter
Loctav
You should not worry about cheaters.

There are certain the reasons, why we don't decide that via a poll.
The poll jesus mentioned was also not official iirc?
If we would let the community decide about everything, we would still have an OWC without any mods and an OWC where the mappools gets designed by pressing F2 in map selection 15 times.
Azer
Sooo. I'm still waiting on a reply to my PM, Loctav. It's been almost two days now.
Tenyante
I will say only one thing.

FL is not fun to watch.
fartownik
Plenty of highly experienced players propose the FL to be removed. Other highly experienced players agree. I wonder what's the point you're trying to make by keeping it there for no matter what. Listen to players for once, they're the base of this game and this tournament is for them, and them only.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply