forum

[resolved] [confirmed] Tabbed-out fullscreen crashes if map processing finishes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yomawaru
osu! freezes sometimes (but not always) when alt-tabbing back from having alt-tabbed out from it. It happens quite often enough to be a real nuisance. This happens both on my laptop and desktop computers.
The freezes have yet to occur anywhere else than the song selection screen. The freezing acts in one of two ways:

1. Switch back to osu!, things act jittery for less than a second before the beatmap's background image disappears and everything freezes - and so osu! becomes totally unresponsive.
2. Switch back to osu!, things go total white at once before switching to pure blackness - and becoming totally unresponsive.

In both causes, they share the behaviour that alt+f4 does nothing, but the song playing keeps going without a hitch. It won't loop once it's finished playing once, however.
This hasn't happened previously, and I've done no changes to graphical settings on either computer - always play fullscreen, frequently alt-tabbing in and out. The problem doesn't seem to occur with the public release, so it seems osu!test-specific. It's been happening since late October 11th.

osu! version: 20131012test
Idk if this is normal, I don't usually do this, but sometimes I press boss key to minimize the program, and when I switch back, it's pretty much the same issue as yours, it happens pretty often though, so I can't even tell if this is not supposed to happen...
statementreply
Problem Details:

I don't know how to 100% reproduce that. It happens on maybe ~5% of time.
  1. Run osu! in DirectX fullscreen mode.
  2. Press Win key to switch out of osu!
  3. Switch back to osu!
  4. Sometimes osu! either freezes or shows black screen.
When the bug occurs, GC finalizer thread is waiting for main thread, which is stuck at:
Stack trace
>	Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.DeviceResourceManager.ReleaseAllReferences(void* pComPtr) + 0x59 字节
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.VertexDeclaration.!VertexDeclaration() + 0x30 字节
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.VertexDeclaration.~VertexDeclaration() + 0x13 字节
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.VertexDeclaration.Dispose(bool ) + 0x1b 字节
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Dispose(bool disposing) + 0x52 字节
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll!Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Dispose() + 0xd 字节
osu!test.exe!#Jm.#rp.#Es() + 0x4712 字节
osu!test.exe!#ej.#jj.#Es() + 0x197 字节
osu!test.exe!#rb.#xb.#Es() + 0x39 字节
osu!test.exe!#1h.#0h.#Es() + 0xfe 字节
osu!test.exe!#rb.#xb.#Zs() + 0x31 字节
osu!test.exe!#rb.#xb.#at() + 0xc 字节
osu!test.exe!#rb.#Bb.#vt() + 0x1c 字节
osu!test.exe!#rb.#Rb.#Kv() + 0x56 字节
System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(int grfidlef) + 0x37 字节
System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(int dwComponentID, int reason, int pvLoopData) + 0x33f 字节
System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) + 0x177 字节
System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(int reason, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext context) + 0x61 字节
System.Windows.Forms.dll!System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(System.Windows.Forms.Form mainForm) + 0x31 字节
osu!test.exe!#rb.#Rb.#gt() + 0x4b 字节
osu!test.exe!#rb.#xb.#gt() + 0x80 字节
osu!test.exe!#1h.#lp.#awb() + 0x51 字节
osu!test.exe!#1h.#lp.#9vb() + 0x36a 字节

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: 20131019.2test

Windows 7 x64
Intel HD 3000 + ATI HD 6770M. Running osu! on Intel HD 3000.
statementreply
Found a way to reproduce the bug on my PC with higher probability (>50%):
  1. Run osu! in DirectX fullscreen mode.
  2. Press Win key to switch out of osu!
  3. Open an .osz file.
  4. Switch back to osu! as it starts to play the new song.
MillhioreF
Merged two threads about possibly the same issue.

Also, I can replicate every time; the key is to have osu! tabbed out once it exits the "Your beatmaps are being processed" screen. This can happen either by letting a full process finish or by importing a .osz file.
Afterwards, when tabbing back in, all map backgrounds will be black; attempting to play a map or alt+tabbing back out and in again will cause osu! to freeze and must be killed by the task manager. Happens on latest public and test.
MANT1FUN
I can reproduce this bug, too. Alttab out of osu, download new beatmap.The file gets processed and starts playing in the background. You switch back to osu and the game crashes and needs to be killed.
Itsutoshi
Happened to me too. Pls fix :(
jackmoo3
me also :(
Poweri
I got the same issue :/ Annoying because I often play 2-3 songs, then check my facebook or something and I must restart Osu! everytime again because It only gives me blackscreen
Mira-san
Same here.

I've got 2 monitors running and everytime I check something on the other, osu! minimized and when I alt-tab to it, it becomes unresponsive and shows me a white screen. Music still plays fine though.
FluffyStorm
happens to me too
Natsu
I got the same problem here >.<

TheVileOne wrote:

It's been confirmed. There is no need to reconfirm.
-.- Im just posting it cuz every time I download a map osu! crash and I need to use the task manager..
TheVileOne
It's been confirmed. There is no need to reconfirm.
peppy
Replicating this is nigh impossible for me :(. My VM doesn't crash when performing the above steps, although the background image does not load at song select. I have a rough idea of what this could be caused by, so have made amends on the latest test build.

Please try it out.
Topic Starter
Yomawaru
Had switched to borderless windowed while this has been an issue since that seems to have worked as a temp. solution, but switched back to normal fullscreen now in latest to see if it's gotten better... Two turns of alt-tabbing out and in again later, it blacked out again as it used to. Shucks... :(

I often alt-tab out of the game instantly when returning to song select from either esc-and-quitting a song, or seeing results screen and going back to song select that way (since I wanna check if anything's happened elsewhere while I was playing)... and that's when it freezes upon tabbing back. It happens in both cases. Doesn't seem to ever happen if I, say, start the game, go to song select and just keep alt-tabbing (at a normal pace at least, doing so really rapidly freezes the game also, but I don't have a reason to do -that- normally | this doesn't happen on main menu, either, for that matter). I have to have just finished playing a song in one way or other...
peppy
Are you getting the freezes even without importing new beatmaps?
Topic Starter
Yomawaru
Quite, importing new beatmaps hasn't been a factor for me in this matter.
Nathanael
Importing skins doesn't let it crash so it might be only on map processing.
peppy
If someone experiencing this issue is around for an hour or two and has test build access, please PM me.
TheVileOne
I have just replicated it by hitting the windows key very soon after starting a reprocess.

System.Exception: Your graphics card has reported texture corruption.
This is probably a result of not having enough graphics RAM. You may want to try swapping your renderer or lowering your graphics settings.

If I do it later on in the process, it wont crash, but will show the first background strangely.
peppy
That's likely a different issue.
TheVileOne
I'm trying to use statementreply's replication steps. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing instead. I'm getting weird results when importing a map while alt/tabbed out during a full process.

That's a super enlarged version of the F2 text as a background. I think that this issue is taking random elements in the background and using them as backgrounds when I do this. This is the texture corruption that crashed my game at the start of the reprocess I believe.

I will need better replication steps to produce different results. It isn't crashing or skipping if osu! is tabbed out when the process finishes. This could be fixed on the test build or maybe some players just have graphics cards that have worse handling of texture corruption than mine does and so crash more easily.

Edit: I think I know what causes the corruption. Testing

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is what is causing the crashing for people. When a map is loaded while osu! is minimized, it will show a random background object as the background. Minimizing and expanding the game will choose a new object to be the background. You can do this until osu! tries to load something that crashes the game with the error message I posted.

I also got the B rank as a background.
Mr Hyde
Hello. I can add that my own freezes has begun when I downloaded and installed new NVIDIA GeForce R331 Drivers. No problems before. osu! crashed the first time I started it after installing drivers and now crashes every time I add new beatmap. I thought, maybe this information will help somehow.
MillhioreF
To confirm, yes, this happens without map processing, but it's quite rare in my testing and only happens after maybe 2% of alt+tabs. The way I specified is just a surefire way to trigger it.

EDIT: New way to trigger it, happens almost every time:
1. Play a song
2. Hit back to menu
3. After clicking "back to menu", alt+tab while osu! is fading out
4. Crash!

Probably has the same root cause - osu! loading a new map at song select while tabbed out breaks stuff pretty badly.
novak_old
a mi tambien me pasa lo mismo. cada vez que cargo beatmap, el fondo se me pone en negro y tengo que reiniciar el osu!. porque sera?
Roxas
It happens often to me, and I saw this in my Task Manager:

The strange thing of this bug is that it happens when I use osu! fullscreen, and when I close the process osu!.exe and I open osu! again, it runs windowed.
Shiro

novak wrote:

a mi tambien me pasa lo mismo. cada vez que cargo beatmap, el fondo se me pone en negro y tengo que reiniciar el osu!. porque sera?
translating: "this happens to me as well, every time I'm loading beatmaps, the game turns black and I have to restart it. What causes it ?"

overconfirming this I guess, I confirm it as well although I have no idea what causes it
it just happened a friend of mine in borderless too although I couldn't replicate it even with what MillhioreF said
Mira-san

TheVileOne wrote:

I'm trying to use statementreply's replication steps. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing instead. I'm getting weird results when importing a map while alt/tabbed out during a full process.
That's a super enlarged version of the F2 text as a background. I think that this issue is taking random elements in the background and using them as backgrounds when I do this. This is the texture corruption that crashed my game at the start of the reprocess I believe.
I will need better replication steps to produce different results. It isn't crashing or skipping if osu! is tabbed out when the process finishes. This could be fixed on the test build or maybe some players just have graphics cards that have worse handling of texture corruption than mine does and so crash more easily.
Edit: I'm pretty sure this is what is causing the crashing for people. When a map is loaded while osu! is minimized, it will show a random background object as the background. Minimizing and expanding the game will choose a new object to be the background. You can do this until osu! tries to load something that crashes the game with the error message I posted.
I also got the B rank as a background.

Had this similar issue once. It was the auto-hide button.
Nathanael
This also happens on windowed mode. Just import a map while osu! is minimized, this will happen.

-----
What Nathanael said. But the most mystifying thing about the issue is the game will function normally if I just simply drug a osz file direct onto the game's (unfocused) window. The game will be active and load the map promptly, no crashes, everything is fine.

That's the workaround method.
So do I suppose to import every beatmap in that way for the rest of the future? :#
mrgnstrn
Have the same issue. After alt-tabbing and importing .osz file osu freezes.
Fullscreen 1920x1080, directx, unlim fps.
gtx 570 331.58
i5-2500k
Kassias
Use alt + tab freezes, download a map and run it freezes, it's a pretty annoying problem for some reason minimize and having to use the task manager to run osu! again.
statementreply

Sometimes this happens after tabbing-out from osu!mania mode song selection. Random bg images.
b20131118test
Rain Blizzard
Same here =.= it happens too often .
peppy
This should be fixed. A consequence may be that the song won't automatically import when osu! is minimised.

Test build updated.
quiz-chan_DELETED
Finally!!!!!
I was having the same error and it was frustrating having to keep osu! on while downloading maps, otherwise chats were deleted at once......

gj peppy
show more