forum

Share Your Keyboard Type For Playing Osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
Shoegazer

mickeytheluxray wrote:

Shoegazer wrote:

Laptop/flat keyboards could potentially be as good as mechanical keyboards. Discuss.
As a continuous user of the things, I can say with absolute certainty that they are worse in nearly every way, shape, and form.

A lot of people talk about mech keyboards with a sort of reverence, or hand-wave their decisions by saying "it's just better." They never really explain why it's just better. Here's why.

The main advantage of mechanical keyboards is the fact that bottoming out is not required to activate the switch. Indeed, activation of a mechanical switch is actually around the middle of the stroke. There's also the fact that mechanical switches don't require a lot of force to activate. My Sidewinder X6, which is probably the lightest membrane I've ever used, has an activation force of 55g, compared to a Cherry Red/Brown's 45.

Consequently, unless the specific membrane in question has both a short travel and a light press (which is a recipe for disaster on most keyboards, as the membrane would take a huge brunt of the force you put into pressing the keys and likely get damaged) a membrane can't be as quick for most purposes.

There's also the fact that Cherry switches last up to 50x (!) longer than membrane keyboards, AND they can be replaced individually. If a membrane key conks out, you'll have to completely stop using that key forever or get an entirely new keyboard.
There we go, I agree with most of the things you've said. Was writing a metagame guide for o!m and I'm pretty surprised that I overlooked the quality component.
mickeytheluxray

PyaKura wrote:

I have yet to see someone not bottoming out when playing o!m or any other game modes really. This is probably possible to do on diffs you find easy, but I can hardly imagine anyone be relaxed enough to not bottom out when playing anything from their skill level and above.

...I won't travel those 2mm more which is often a trouble when I want to jack/vibro (key getting stuck in that bottom 2mm zone which means no key registered).
These are very good points in favor of membranes. I'm sure there's solutions to each though- at the moment "training" and "really thick O-ring/buffer pad" come to mind. |D
edisk
I'm currently using CM Storm Quickfire TK. Love the NKRO though waking up the computer from sleep in NKRO mode using keyboard screws my computer

Shoegazer wrote:

Laptop/flat keyboards could potentially be as good as mechanical keyboards. Discuss.
I believe you can jack faster on a mechanical keyboard. Anyway, playing on laptop will cap the difficulty of the map you play else you'll have to buy a new one every couple of months...
lenpai
Never got to play vsrgs with a mech.

Currently playing on a macbook. Kb still alive after 2 years although the z and x characters are erased. Feels really good to play although I accu much better on an A4Tech (in turn, play with much more misses).
Can currently do some vibros and 200 bpm jumps for 4k is my comfort zone.
Bursting on 7k is fun.
KenZ
Forever ._.
Brownsville369
Ducky Zero with Blue switches.
Pretty good, no frills or anything. Just a plain black keyboard with mech switches.
princesswell
Ozone blade gaming keyboard is what I use and I love it
Kreator014
q-pad mk50 cherry mx brown switches
ReTLoM

Brownsville369 wrote:

Ducky Zero with Blue switches.
Pretty good, no frills or anything. Just a plain black keyboard with mech switches.
GOD thanks i was thinking im the only one with Blue Switches :) i want to try Reds or Browns but non of Friends got one :/
only thing thats shit on this KB is the Space it pop out of the holder if you dont press it near to the middle (i play 7k)
Bobbias
Just bought a Ducky Shine 4 with MX Reds.
-[C R A Z Y]-
Genius slimstar i250 :'v
Ayaya
Just got a Corsair K65 RGB w/cherry mx red switches (only come in red) like 4 hours ago.
W D Gaster
Cherry G81-3000 with MY white cylindrical stem switch variant
kek
abraker
KU-0833
It's also the worst keyboard if you are going for speed. You can't just lightly tap it, got to use some force.
BTW is there a USB N-key keyboard you guys could recommend?

Rori Vidi Veni
This informative post will be deleted anyway, just move along
mickeytheluxray

abraker wrote:

NKRO is impossible on USB due to the limitations of the platform.

USB keyboards arrange all key-presses into a six-input packet that is sent to the computer each tick. Even the SideWinder X4, which I believe has one of the highest KRO figures of any usb keyboard, only has 24KRO (probably achieved by collecting four ticks before sending the strokes recorded to the processor).
abraker

mickeytheluxray wrote:

USB keyboards arrange all key-presses into a six-input packet that is sent to the computer each tick. Even the SideWinder X4, which I believe has one of the highest KRO figures of any usb keyboard, only has 24KRO (probably achieved by collecting four ticks before sending the strokes recorded to the processor).
I remember reading that some keyboards have 2 USB connectors to allow or come closer to it. How true is that?
mickeytheluxray

abraker wrote:

I remember reading that some keyboards have 2 USB connectors to allow or come closer to it. How true is that?
If there are, I have never seen one. The hardware just can't support 104 inputs at the same time.
Ayaya

mickeytheluxray wrote:

abraker wrote:

Actually the keyboard I use say's it has 100% anti-ghosting and full nkro (Corsair K65 rgb), also the K70 RGB says it has 104 kro while the K95 RGB has 122 kro in which imo is plenty xD (all the models I mention is plug in with USB)(has 2 USB connectors, need x2 2.0 usb outlet or just x1 3.0 USB outlet)

If you want prices:
K65 RGB $140
K70 RGB $170
K95 RGB $190

K65 RGB can be bought at your nearest Best Buy (USA) only comes in red switches and is tenkeyless btw

Don't know if the non RGB also has the same amount of kro
OzzyOzrock
stock keyboard with beats by dre 'b' key

i have no pp
Rori Vidi Veni
This informative post will be deleted anyway, just move along
Ayaya

Rori Vidi Veni wrote:

I suggest actually reading up on NKRO and USB polling(two separate topics you're mixing up) somewhere knowledgeable like Deskthority and their wiki or GeekHack.

There are three ways a keyboard can send data through USB.

1) The official USB HID standard way, limited to 6 keys but works with everything.
2) Keyboard's controller is claiming to be an USB hub with a bunch of keyboards in. Theoretically limited to 6 * number of fake keyboards, in practice it depends on a bunch of things. Most of the implementations don't work on Macs and some of them on Linux too.
3) NKRO(more like 256KRO but who cares, it's enough) over USB. Yes, it's possible, however it's quite far from the standard, and some motherboards(regardless of the operating system) just won't take it either just in the BIOS/EFI or at all. That's why some keyboards have a NKRO/6KRO toggle,

Your safest bet is to get a keyboard that works with an USB to PS/2 passthrough and buy one if it's not included in the box. It even can make some of the implementations in the second way work on Mac/Linux(I think Noppoo Choc Mini is one of them?), but don't expect it to fix everything and do your research before buying.

NKRO itself depends on the PCB/wiring and the controller of the keyboard rather than the cable sticking out of it.

There are three main ways of making a keyboard NKRO.

1) Use a controller that has one pin per key + common ground + power and output pins. Viable for a keypad, not so much for a whole keyboard.
2) Make the keyboard more or less a giant oscilloscope. That's how Sidewinder X4 and the RealKey do it.
3) Make a proper matrix and put diodes after every switch. That's how 99% of NKRO keyboards do it.

I'm not gonna go into some obscure ways done only by one very old keyboard like making every key an ultrasonic transmitter(again, go check out Deskthority) or things done on capacitive keyboards. Go read up on them if you're interested.
I know what you're talking about but I don't see anything about someone mentioning polling rates. Also was just stating what it says on the corsair product, I tested my keyboard (K65) and I can press a lot of keys at once (didn't count since I'm only playing mania with it and only need 10 kro)

The part about the BIOS thing, yea some PC has to use BIOS mode on the keyboard since the keyboard won't work if not in which you will be limited to 6 kro (some keyboard can toggle between NKRO and NKRO as you stated)

I wouldn't buy a mechanical keyboard if I didn't have knowledge about NKRO and polling rates xD
abraker

Rori Vidi Veni wrote:

Your safest bet is to get a keyboard that works with an USB to PS/2 passthrough and buy one if it's not included in the box. It even can make some of the implementations in the second way work on Mac/Linux(I think Noppoo Choc Mini is one of them?), but don't expect it to fix everything and do your research before buying.
My laptop doesn't have PS/2, so I'm looking for a way to do it via USB

Ayaya wrote:

Actually the keyboard I use say's it has 100% anti-ghosting and full nkro... (all the models I mention is plug in with USB)
It may say nkro, but can your computer detect at least, idk, 18 keys while it's plugged into USB?
edisk

abraker wrote:

I personally recommend CM Storm Quickfire TK. It's the one I'm using. To achieve NKRO via USB it does some funny stuff with the BIOS.

It uses one USB connector and I'm able to press well over 30keys at once with it. Unable to test anymore than that with microsoft's ghost test since I'll start activating some other commands.
PouletFurtif
MX Red switches ftw, whatever the keyboard model is, as long as keys respond.
Ayaya

abraker wrote:

Ayaya wrote:

Actually the keyboard I use say's it has 100% anti-ghosting and full nkro... (all the models I mention is plug in with USB)
It may say nkro, but can your computer detect at least, idk, 18 keys while it's plugged into USB?
well I tried to test it out before and it pressed more than 33 or something, didn't fully test to see if I can click above 100 at once because I can't press that many with 2 hands and I dont need 100 kro (and yes it is plug in via usb).
abraker
Then I'll be looking forward on getting that keyboard someday, thanks!
Cherrius
Ducky mini with MX Reds and black O'rings
Anime Sucks

CMStorm Red Switches with custom keycaps
Janacechan
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 Brown Switches
westleematthew
Corsair k70 / 100% anti ghosting keyboard
Mizusi
I guess a 2012 Asus laptop keyboard being used nonstop for mania since 2013 (break of 1/2 years in august 2014 and back 5 days ago until my L key broke half an hour ago AGAIN and I'm copying/pasting it) does get officially broken without repair at some point, huh. As expected, I am tired of having my keys getting broken and re-glued by my own hands over and over, and this is impossible for me who absolute loves to play 7K and 5K (and play CS;GO ayyy) but can't even step up her level with such shitty equipment.

I read most of the earlier comments here, and it's killing me that all good keyboards are over $100. I smash my keys way too hard and I heard Razer keyboards barely survive 2 months, while this shit keyboard lasted nearly 3 years on mania.

What the fuck am I supposed to do? I just wanted to play this with a decent keyboard without replacing it every week.

PS: FUCK ghost keys, please. I use the default SDF SPACE JKL for 7K and it has always been comfortable with me, but suggestions for using a different style are appreciated given the fact that now I can't use my L for good. Everything else I tried confused me or was ghost keys, too.
JustinNF
Mine is a very-very-very-very normal kb --- Logitech K270
It comes to a problem when I'm going to play a very fast songs (which is kinda normal for SM streamzzz player) as it only can withstand a normal key rate of 20-something kps. And a bit delay when pressing quads or hand-jacks
ApocaZumbee
Laptop keyboard...
lilbassist96
I use my Laptop keyboard the laptop in specific is a Lenovo Z710 but i find the keys just glide and u dont have to really push hard to get a reading so it makes it really nice.
Rakha Np
Steelseries Apex m260
Blue Switch
Rhonin
Poker 2 PBT White Edition (Cherry Red)
Can't press seven keys at once FeelsBadMan

Edit: A simple firmware upgrade is all I need to fix that.
Topovn
CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i TKL Cherry MX Brown Switch
-Maus-
my calculator
Razzy
I use a MacBook Pro, which doesn't let some key combinations be held simultaneously... it's good for anything lower than 8k.
show more