Do you lose pp for bad plays?

posted
Total Posts
65
Topic Starter
FoxSilver
Because I found that after playing 2 songs, my rank got worse with each song even though i got top 500. I'm assuming that because my scores were worse than a number of lower ranking people my pp was given to them? IDK but i know it's not osu updating my pp b/c if i hadn't played those songs, my pp would have been the same.

This is making me afraid to try out new beatmaps. It's quite ridiculous too since i just went down 100 ranks for getting a 96 percent acc on an insane with HD mod.
NixXSkate

riajuu wrote:

Because I found that after playing 2 songs, my rank got worse with each song even though i got top 500. I'm assuming that because my scores were worse than a number of lower ranking people my pp was given to them? IDK but i know it's not osu updating my pp b/c if i hadn't played those songs, my pp would have been the same.

This is making me afraid to try out new beatmaps. It's quite ridiculous too since i just went down 100 ranks for getting a 96 percent acc on an insane with HD mod.
No, you don't lose PP for bad plays. You lose PP when people beat you in your other scores. Just focus on improving and pushing yourself for scores that challenge yourself, and your PP will naturally go up.
Da Holy One
Ive been experiencing this alot il play a song ive nvr played before and lose 100 to 200 ranks as soon as the song ends. Theres no way its people just beating my scores on other maps since i play like 50 maps a day and the update times are always after i perform badly on a new song
Topic Starter
FoxSilver
exactly Da Holy One, i don't think it's osu reupdating. I think it's punishing you for bad plays.
NixXSkate
Well, you're wrong... lol
Keep in mind that that some songs are drastically weighted more than others, so it could make a big difference when someone passes you on a top PP play.

Also, keep in mind that your rank doesn't update until you play a song. It's not FROM the song, but rather it's from not playing for a while.
BRBP
Only time you lose PP by playing the game is when you replace a high acc score with a low acc + mod score.

only example I could find quickly

You don't lose PP by playing poorly on songs you've never played before.
XPJ38
What NixXSkate said is right. You never lose PPs for a new play, be it good or bad.

Keep in mind that you're more likely to lose ranks when being low in the rankings (#10,000 can be considered as low in this context) because a lot of people are having a very similar amount of PPs. Hence if only one person beats you on a map, you can lose some PPs and fall in the global rankings.
djjsixpack
Every song that both of you ranked on with a score high enough to get pp was ranked the same day you got the score. You probably ranked somewhat high on the map when it had <1000 plays and got booted out of the ranks when more people played it. On next score recalculation, it refreshes your rank on all those maps and you lose pp.
Reyvateil
You can lose PP on a new play in a situation like BRBP said, if you get a better score (mainly because of mods) with considerably worse accuracy in a song that was already giving you PP, you cannot lose what you didn't have.

So if your ranking is dropping it is one of the following:

1. Other players won more PP and simply passed you. Not necessarily playing the same songs as you.
2. People beat your rank in a map causing you to lose some PP. Usually happens to people who play new maps, ranks some mediocre score and is beaten when others start playing the new map.
3. The rare situation mentioned above where you lose PP by reaching a better rank in a map that was already giving you PP with worse accuracy.
wacats
I tried losting pp by fc-ing a song with a lower accuracy at 94%, before that I achieved higher accuracy at 97% without fc-ing it and have gained pp.
Reyvateil

wacats wrote:

I tried losting pp by fc-ing a song with a lower accuracy at 94%, before that I achieved higher accuracy at 97% without fc-ing it and have gained pp.

TeaDots wrote:

3. The rare situation mentioned above where you lose PP by reaching a better rank in a map that was already giving you PP with worse accuracy.
Da Holy One
k i was rank 17800 i played osu for about 20 minutes or so and then i played a map where in which i had scored rank #722 on it several days ago. I ranked 150 higher on it so now im 550 or something overall on that map. my rank updated immediately afterwards from 17800 to 18000 soo....

http://puu.sh/4NevD.jpg
Tekklorn
I'm experiencing this as well, I play a song and get ranked in the top #500 and immediately drop 50 ranks. Even when I replayed it to get a higher accuracy and an even higher ranking on that map, I only got 1 ranking place back. Not sure if this is due to the actual map I played itself, but sure as hell is annoying I wasn't even attempting to get a top 500 score and I did, and it ended up reducing my rank...

Also, I actually gained PP and lost rank at the same time, could be some sort of delayed updating (like I was already losing rank from getting beat in PP or previous scores and the system just updates all that when I next get a high ranking)
silmarilen

Da Holy One wrote:

k i was rank 17800 i played osu for about 20 minutes or so and then i played a map where in which i had scored rank #722 on it several days ago. I ranked 150 higher on it so now im 550 or something overall on that map. my rank updated immediately afterwards from 17800 to 18000 soo....

http://puu.sh/4NevD.jpg
thats because you dropped ranks on different maps causing you to lose pp, and after you played this map it recalculated your rank.
stop thinking things that arent true and have been confirmed to not be true.
Tekklorn
Tested what I said and it seems to be the case. The first like 2 songs I ranked top #500 in after not having done so in a few days dropped my rank, then all other maps that I got in the top #500 for increased my rank again. Could be something else but I'm guessing that your rank updates when you get top #500 and this sometimes means that your rank will drop from things like getting beat in PP and other beatmaps, not necessarily the one you just played.

Having said that, beating your previous high score and getting higher in the top #500 but having around 2% or more less accuracy does damage your rank sometimes (speaking from personal experience)
-[Koinuri]

silmarilen wrote:

Da Holy One wrote:

k i was rank 17800 i played osu for about 20 minutes or so and then i played a map where in which i had scored rank #722 on it several days ago. I ranked 150 higher on it so now im 550 or something overall on that map. my rank updated immediately afterwards from 17800 to 18000 soo....

http://puu.sh/4NevD.jpg
thats because you dropped ranks on different maps causing you to lose pp, and after you played this map it recalculated your rank.
stop thinking things that arent true and have been confirmed to not be true.
The new score's accuracy is also slightly lower than the previous score, which, like BRBP said, may drop your pp.

Get higher accuracy (even 1% difference can help light-years!)
The accuracy is considered in pp ranking system, so try getting higher accuracy if you want to gain some pp. I know I'm not in the same ranking as you guys, but I would aim for accuracy higher than 96%.

I actually doubt that the score was even considered for pp, I remember I started to struggle and started adding HDs for pp around that rank. So in this case, silmarilen would be correct.
Da Holy One

silmarilen wrote:

Da Holy One wrote:

k i was rank 17800 i played osu for about 20 minutes or so and then i played a map where in which i had scored rank #722 on it several days ago. I ranked 150 higher on it so now im 550 or something overall on that map. my rank updated immediately afterwards from 17800 to 18000 soo....

http://puu.sh/4NevD.jpg
thats because you dropped ranks on different maps causing you to lose pp, and after you played this map it recalculated your rank.
stop thinking things that arent true and have been confirmed to not be true.
Just because its meant to work that way doesnt mean that it is. Im saying there is a bug.
Zare
there isn't
why do you even care, a) your rank is bad anyway, b) peppy works on ppv2
-cr1mmy-
I'm not sure if for bad plays but I lose them after not bad results
Da Holy One

Zarerion wrote:

there isn't
why do you even care, a) your rank is bad anyway, b) peppy works on ppv2
why are you insulting my rank? as far as im concerned if your not in the top 400 players then your rank is bad (of course everyone has different views on this) so imo your rank just as bad as mine is. I dont care that this issue is making my rank go down randomly im saying this because the game is doing something it shouldn't which is worth being mentioned regardless of whether it has a positive or negative influence.

P.S dont be a douche, thx
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply