forum

Full area tips?

posted
Total Posts
show more
jesse1412
You will learn in time. Just practice.
Dexus
I play full screen and full tablet and I enjoy having the tablet centered to the monitor ( I push my keyboard over and use my numpad ). Rely more on your arm to do jumps, for fine movements use your wrist for horizontal movements and your fingers for vertical movements. It will probably be tiring to do this all the first couple of weeks but it pays off very well. Just put more force into moving your arm and you can get to be pretty fast.

I'd rather use a medium sized full screen resolution with centered timings as having a huge resolution will cause mismatched movements. There's a picture around that shows hit error when comparing different screen sizes and areas. If you play visually by how the cursor moves then force proportions isn't needed but when you start playing full tablet you'll be playing by physical movements so you'll want to force proportions.

Again sorry if I rambled on a bit. I usually type this stuff on my phone. My internet is out where I'm at so I am too lazy to proofread this.
Mathsma

Dexus wrote:

Jaka technically uses a reduced area since he isn't mapping his tablet screen area to the game window. Playing windowed with the tablet area full screen is the same as playing full screen with a small active area on the tablet. So no he doesn't really play full tablet.
Did he change it recently..? http://ask.fm/JAKACHAN/answer/53529058001
Dexus
I redact what I said then. (Jaka has an ask? what)
Weed

Not sure if there's a "right" way but that's how I do full area. Really comfortable to me but meh it's all opinion. 1600x900 res
Romantic
Colored
how about force proportions? It must be off or on?

my desktop: 1920x1080
osu window: 1024x768
tablet area: full, no force proportions, but i think i'll change it.

what you think about it?
TakuMii

Colored wrote:

how about force proportions? It must be off or on?

my desktop: 1920x1080
osu window: 1024x768
tablet area: full, no force proportions, but i think i'll change it.

what you think about it?
Force Proportions should be on. Otherwise your X-axis movement will be inconsistent with your Y-axis movement.

Is your screen area full (i.e. mapped to the screen), or mapped to the osu! window? If it's mapped to the screen, it won't be what you'd call "true full area" but people (such as Cookiezi) have shown that it can still produce good results. So just go with whatever you find comfortable.
Colored

YayMii wrote:

Is your screen area full (i.e. mapped to the screen), or mapped to the osu! window? If it's mapped to the screen, it won't be what you'd call "true full area" but people (such as Cookiezi) have shown that it can still produce good results. So just go with whatever you find comfortable.
my area:

btw, cookiezi and rrtyui dont use force proportions ;;
TakuMii
They did say they used default mapping settings... didn't know that force proportions wasn't enabled by default x.x
They're just using settings they found to be comfortable. If you find those settings comfortable, just stick with it.
Mathsma
Cookiezi posted a picture a long time ago on his profile on his tablet settings and force proportions was enabled.
Espionage724
I use full area with 1024x768 fullscreen. I can't force proportions too accurately with my tablet software (VisTablet), so 1024x768 gives me the full area of the tablet in the full play area.

Widescreen resolutions give me the full vertical area of the tablet, but like half of the horizontal area, and I just can't seem to get used to it.
Story
Turn on force proportions and slowly make your play area bigger and bigger everyday till its full
enik
I used to miss notes in the right bottom corner always with full area, then turned on forced proportions and it's just fine.
Lapis-
I reccomend you play some form of windowed with full area, full screen/full area is a bit too much.

For example, I use Full Area/force prop to 1366x768, and I used to use 1280x800/1024x768 in the past.
TakuMii

PortalLife wrote:

I reccomend you play some form of windowed with full area, full screen/full area is a bit too much.

For example, I use Full Area/force prop to 1366x768, and I used to use 1280x800/1024x768 in the past.
Maybe for you, but not for others. My area is equivalent to full-screen/full-area+force proportions.
Lapis-
What size is your monitor?
TakuMii

PortalLife wrote:

What size is your monitor?
My main monitor is 20" 4:3 (the window is 16:9, which is about 18.375" if you measure it by itself), but I often play fullscreen on my 11.6" 16:9 ultrabook and have no issues with either of the two.
Topic Starter
Shimy
I took my force proportion off and it feels a lot better now ( but im no longer using full area, slightly less) its really hard to use full area 1920x1080 :P
buny

Shimy wrote:

I took my force proportion off and it feels a lot better now ( but im no longer using full area, slightly less) its really hard to use full area 1920x1080 :P
you'll regret turning off force proportions, i guarantee it.
enik

YayMii wrote:

the window is 16:9, which is about 18.375" if you measure it by itself), but I often play fullscreen on my 11.6" 16:9 ultrabook and have no issues with either of the two.
Just to make sure, there is no difference in cursor speed between those 2 independently of the monitor size or resolution as long as it's full screen/area+force proportions on, right?
TakuMii

enik wrote:

YayMii wrote:

the window is 16:9, which is about 18.375" if you measure it by itself), but I often play fullscreen on my 11.6" 16:9 ultrabook and have no issues with either of the two.
Just to make sure, there is no difference in cursor speed between those 2 independently of the monitor size or resolution as long as it's full screen/area+force proportions on, right?
Partially right. Circle size depends on window height, so aspect ratio also comes into play when calculating area. Wacom tablets are 16:10, so Full screen+full area+force proportions on a 16:9 screen will be a smaller area than on a 16:10 or a 4:3 screen.
Topic Starter
Shimy

buny wrote:

but i don't think rrtyui uses force proportion :/

idk it feels comfortable with force proportion off just hopefully i don't hit a stump like i did with every other area.
Omgforz

buny wrote:

Shimy wrote:

To be honest, I never regretted it.
pooptartsonas
You'll get used to using full area over time if you just keep playing it, unless your hands are just too small for it. In that case lower your area until it's comfortable. I use full area fullscreen (although forced proportions) and I really like it.
Espionage724
Huh, so I finally decided to tick the "Force Proportions" option in my tablet settings, and it seems to feel better for me when playing at fullscreen 1600x900. Might take some getting used to though.

Is there a technical description as to what that setting does?
buny

Shimy wrote:

buny wrote:

but i don't think rrtyui uses force proportion :/

idk it feels comfortable with force proportion off just hopefully i don't hit a stump like i did with every other area.
some people like it off i guess

i just don't like the feeling that the scaling is completely different

Espionage724 wrote:

Huh, so I finally decided to tick the "Force Proportions" option in my tablet settings, and it seems to feel better for me when playing at fullscreen 1600x900. Might take some getting used to though.

it forces your tablet area to scale with your monitor size, so moving A distance in the x-axis and moving A distance in the y-axis will equal to the same distance your cursor would move
TakuMii

Espionage724 wrote:

Basically, all it does is force your X-axis sensitivity to be the same as your Y-axis sensitivity. This causes your area to be the same shape as the screen area you have the tablet mapped to, and makes your vertical movement more consistent with your horizontal movement.

Most mice do a similar sort of thing by default. Many gaming mice offer a feature letting you set a different DPI for the different axes, but as far as I can tell, barely anyone uses it. So it's seemingly weird that a lot of people still disable "force proportions" when using tablet.
RaneFire

YayMii wrote:

Most mice do a similar sort of thing by default. Many gaming mice offer a feature letting you set a different DPI for the different axes, but as far as I can tell, barely anyone uses it. So it's seemingly weird that a lot of people still disable "force proportions" when using tablet.
It used to be quite popular in Quake to change your m_pitch from the default "0.022" to "0.033" or "0.044." Players played quite well with it too, but it didn't stick for players who also played Counter-Strike, because these values were "cheat-protected" there, so everyone just stuck to equal X/Y. I am fairly certain that if CS had not done this, you would see PLENTY of players using different X/Y values.

osu! gives you roughly equal usage in both X and Y movements to get used to any settings, and can only really cause problems if you play different games with the mouse. But here we are talking about the tablet and AFAIK osu! is the only game I would use a tablet in, so there is only 1 environment to learn, and it is practically your desktop too.
Espionage724
Ah, I see. Thanks :)

YayMii wrote:

...So it's seemingly weird that a lot of people still disable "force proportions" when using tablet.
Mine was disabled by-default, and there's no help tooltip or anything describing what it does. Didn't think was even useful until now :p
gogofrance4
in all honesty tho if u want to get better at it try using small area like 1x1cm area