forum

Why are mania maps so hard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
milky228_old
I took a break recently to play some Taiko and also a tiny bit of standard. When I started playing mania again a few days ago I wasn't getting higher than a B rank on any map I played, because I was still using the difficulty levels of Taiko and Standard. I'm not a good Standard or Taiko player in anyway, granted i'm not great at mania either but within a couple of hours I was playing 4 star maps, I've been playing mania for 5 months and I still struggle to do 4 star maps.

So why do people rate maps so highly in mania? or why do people rate maps so low in other game modes?
kuuderes_shadow
The number of stars a map gets isn't decided by the person who makes it.

And the star difficulty are nothing more than a rough guide anyway. Particularly among autoconverts - there are 4.5 star maps that are far easier than 1.5 star maps there.

Just play what you want to play. Don't worry about the star priority.
Bobbias
First star difficulty is nearly useless.

Also, mania has a very huge difference in skill level from the easiest level of things to the hardest, which led to woc having to modify the star difficulty algorithm for mania. Unfortunately, it's still not very accurate because it's VERY hard to make a difficulty detection system.

Don't focus on star difficulty, like kuuderes_shadow said. Check Entozer's list of maps for a good list of maps ordered by difficulty.

Also, because mania has a huge range in difficulty from the easiest to the hardest levels, and because we don't have very many ranked (or good unranked) mania maps yet, it's sometimes hard to find enough maps at your skill level. As we get more maps, it will be easier to find easy stuff.
mike91lau
Actually mania is not hard. Mania just a metal come down den u press it
You shall training a lot . I think at least 2 month if not mistaken
Train on EVERY map even 1 star for the accuracy
Mania score is depend on the accuracy
Try to play all 1 star map and den 2 star and so on..
Don just play one map because mania have a lot of pattern.
After you have play all your map, try improve your score. MUST remember , score depend on accuracy :)
Wishy
Mania is extremely hard to get into compared to the other 3 mods.
Bobbias
The main distinction is that mania has a very different skill set requirement from standard and CTB. I'd argue that taiko is basically a slightly different side scrolling 4k so much of the skill requirements are the same. The main difference there is the unified... approach lane? (What do you guys call that in taiko?) as opposed to the individual columns. Of course I would also say that taiko is likely the hardest of the 3 other mods to play at the most basic level.

The other thing is that hard maps make newcomers feel bad at the game, because they see people WAY better than them. If everyone sucked at mania and nobody could pass any of the mania map insane (and harder) stuff, newcomers wouldn't feel as bad at the game by comparison.
Aqo
taiko is more like 2k than 4k..
DakeDekaane

Aqo wrote:

Try this with just 2 keys.

On topic, mania requires a higher coordination skills than other modes, that's why.
Aqo

DakeDekaane wrote:

Aqo wrote:

Try this with just 2 keys.
It's still 2k. You just get two fingers per button.

It's like if there was a mania 2k mode and I'd use my Ctrl buttons for each lane and alternate with two fingers per Ctrl button because it's big enough to fit 2 fingers; just that taiko actually gives you two different keys, but it's practically the same. Reading-wise, it's 2k.
Topic Starter
milky228_old

Aqo wrote:

It's still 2k. You just get two fingers per button.

It's like if there was a mania 2k mode and I'd use my Ctrl buttons for each lane and alternate with two fingers per Ctrl button because it's big enough to fit 2 fingers; just that taiko actually gives you two different keys, but it's practically the same. Reading-wise, it's 2k.
You would have to use two different keys as Big Don and Big Kat (I think that's what they're called) require you to press two keys at a time.
VoidnOwO
:)
Gravey-
Mania becomes hard because of so many clicking keys in keyboard compared to the 3 modes.
Shiro -
Well, mania is hard if of course you don't play it often or practice it often,just like every other mode,for example taiko or CTB or even Osu! itself,if you don't play often you will get rusty and cannot follow the rhythm or tempo of the songs.As for me I played SDO and 02Jam before so it is kinda easy to pick up Osumania! but the problem lies with playing standard,I really suck at it but after playing so many songs and breaking a few fingers,it become slightly easier to play and has no more issues with it.
[AyanoTatemaya]
I dunnow. Different people have different paces in improving in mania. Some learns fast just in weeks, others in months. Just keep playing while having fun on the process. :)

But if you still insist, here:
1. Adjust your universal local offset depending on your playstyle. If you're a fast-paced tapper, one who presses the keys a little or way before the right time, easily gets excited over changes in beats (just like me), set it on a higher offset. (Mine's 18ms) Otherwise, do the opposite.

2. You may already know this, but at the beginning of each song, try to adjust the osu!mania speed by pressing F3(increase) or F4(decrease) according to your preference.

3. There are maps that changes speed in certain parts, usually after a long pause. Use this opportunity to "counter" the speed by pressing F3/F4.

4. DO NOT LOOSE FOCUS. EVER. Never even attempt to glance at the upper right corner of your screen just to check your accuracy/score/whatever.