forum

The most trivial question on Earth?

posted
Total Posts
show more
NoHitter
"Live soberly and peacefully. Honor your parents, and preserve the peace and security of home and family." - A saying from Riften.
Akiba007

Apex wrote:

Dubstep says "wub wub", what does Electro House says then?
what does Electro House says - udhuvdhvhoanmdjsivncminv
mathexpert
What Minimal says:
mathexpert

NotEvenDoomMusic
- The most trivial question on earth -

will methexpert ever stop doing meth?
Trash Boat
the second most trivial question on Solar System
what's meth?
laport

battler077 wrote:

what's meth?
it's for experts only
Oinari-sama

laport wrote:

battler077 wrote:

what's meth?
it's for experts only
... I think I'll stick with aburaage =.=
kernymi
Is this real life or is this fantasy? (cue bohemian rhapsody)
Apex_old
caught in a landslide, with no escape from reality.
Open your eyes, look up to the eyes and see...
I'm just a poor boy, I need to sympathy because I'm
easy come, easy go, little high, little low.
Anyway the wind blows, doesn't reallay matter to me, to me...
*piano*

Damn, is that a good song.
Seph
Mara says tangina
Trash Boat
the third most trivial question in Earth
how can i make sure that i'm not inside The Matrix?
laport

battler077 wrote:

punch yourself in your balls and see if it hurts
Trash Boat

laport wrote:

battler077 wrote:

punch yourself in your balls and see if it hurts
we both know that it hurts, even in The Matrix
GenoClysm
Why is there so much shitposting in off-topic?

most trivial question obviously.
Naikaze
Are we human or are we dancers?
GladiOol

Gatyaa420 wrote:

Are we human or are we german?
fixed.
CodeLithium
Where all the ideas come from?
Wojjan
Wojj goes "lock"
Koon goes "why"
Two goes "fuck"
and South goes "bye"
Eph goes "fools"
D33d goes "hnn"
And the trout goes "ohhh, naaaah, fuhhhh"

But there's a sound, that no one knows...
~WHAT DOES THE MOGS SAY?~
[quote="Mogsworth":1337]quit whining and enjoy yourself

Mogsworth wrote:

quit whining and enjoy yourself

Mogsworth wrote:

quit whining and enjoy yourself
[quote="Mogsworth":1337]"Boy, I suck. I blame the liquor."

Mogsworth wrote:

"Boy, I suck. I blame the liquor."

Mogsworth wrote:

"Boy, I suck. I blame the liquor."
[quote="Mogsworth":1337]Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Mogsworth wrote:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Mogsworth wrote:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
[quote="Mogsworth":1337]The thing is, harem in general relies on plenty of unrealistic circumstances. It's escapist fantasy. That's why it's seen a lot. The fact that it's another form of media doesn't change that fact.
Steins;Gate was a weird mixture but didn't focus on the harem elements. In general, Clannad and Steins;Gate don't present themselves as generic harems so they don't get really labeled as such. Mashiro-iro and Majikoi, on the other hand, do. Other, more critically successful harem entries tend to be weirder incarnations of the genre (this season's Oreshura comes to mind, by actually having the main three characters being well-rounded, three-dimensional characters). It's about execution. Otherwise it comes off as sexist pandering.
I don't like harem, but rest assured, my reasons are far beyond the frankly dismissive and reductive angle of 'oh it just isn't your thing'.

Mogsworth wrote:

The thing is, harem in general relies on plenty of unrealistic circumstances. It's escapist fantasy. That's why it's seen a lot. The fact that it's another form of media doesn't change that fact.
Steins;Gate was a weird mixture but didn't focus on the harem elements. In general, Clannad and Steins;Gate don't present themselves as generic harems so they don't get really labeled as such. Mashiro-iro and Majikoi, on the other hand, do. Other, more critically successful harem entries tend to be weirder incarnations of the genre (this season's Oreshura comes to mind, by actually having the main three characters being well-rounded, three-dimensional characters). It's about execution. Otherwise it comes off as sexist pandering.
I don't like harem, but rest assured, my reasons are far beyond the frankly dismissive and reductive angle of 'oh it just isn't your thing'.

Mogsworth wrote:

The thing is, harem in general relies on plenty of unrealistic circumstances. It's escapist fantasy. That's why it's seen a lot. The fact that it's another form of media doesn't change that fact.

Mogsy
everything about that post is wonderful and/or true
Talvilapsi
Marar Oppar says "Talviloli", how on Earth can you not know that?
Apex_old
untitled
silmarilen
who the hell is math-expert?
Oinari-sama

silmarilen wrote:

who the hell is math-expert?
Oh well might as well p/2627939
silmarilen
thats methexpert, i was asking about math-expert
Trash Boat
the most tivial question on Earth is: what kind of sound does a palm? or if a tree falls in a forest but there's nobody that can hear it, it still makes noise?
Yoeri
"Why won't this thread die?"
mathexpert

Apex wrote:

What does math-expert(not meth-expert, that's his alter-ego) say?
What do I have to say about the matter? Why, thank you for asking:
In mathematics, the adjective trivial is frequently used for objects (for example, groups or topological spaces) that have a very simple structure. The noun triviality usually refers to a simple technical aspect of some proof or definition. The origin of the term in mathematical language comes from the medieval trivium curriculum.

Examples include:

empty set: the set containing no members
trivial group: the mathematical group containing only the identity element
trivial ring: a ring defined on a singleton set.

Trivial also refers to solutions to an equation that has a very simple structure, but for the sake of completeness cannot be omitted. These solutions are called the trivial solution. For example, consider the differential equation

y'=y

where y = f(x) is a function whose derivative is y′. The trivial solution is

y = 0, the zero function

while a nontrivial solution is

y (x) = ex, the exponential function.

Similarly, mathematicians often describe Fermat's Last Theorem as asserting that there are no nontrivial integer solutions to the equation a^n + b^n = c^n when n is greater than 2. Clearly, there are some solutions to the equation. For example, a=b=c=0 is a solution for any n, but such solutions are all obvious and uninteresting, and hence "trivial".
Triviality in mathematical reasoning

Trivial may also refer to any easy case of a proof, which for the sake of completeness cannot be ignored. For instance, proofs by mathematical induction have two parts: the "base case" that shows that the theorem is true for a particular initial value such as n = 0 or n = 1 and then an inductive step that shows that if the theorem is true for a certain value of n, it is also true for the value n + 1. The base case is often trivial and is identified as such, although there are cases where the base case is difficult but the inductive step is trivial. Similarly, one might want to prove that some property is possessed by all the members of a certain set. The main part of the proof will consider the case of a nonempty set, and examine the members in detail; in the case where the set is empty, the property is trivially possessed by all the members, since there are none. (See also Vacuous truth.)

A common joke in the mathematical community is to say that "trivial" is synonymous with "proved" — that is, any theorem can be considered "trivial" once it is known to be true. Another joke concerns two mathematicians who are discussing a theorem; the first mathematician says that the theorem is "trivial". In response to the other's request for an explanation, he then proceeds with twenty minutes of exposition. At the end of the explanation, the second mathematician agrees that the theorem is trivial. These jokes point out the subjectivity of judgments about triviality. The joke also applies when the first mathematician says the theorem is trivial, but is unable to prove it himself. Often, as a joke, the theorem is then referred to as "intuitively obvious." Someone experienced in calculus, for example, would consider the statement that

\int_0^1 x^2\, dx = \frac{1}{3}

to be trivial. To a beginning student of calculus, though, this may not be obvious at all.

Triviality also depends on context. A proof in functional analysis would probably, given a number, trivially assume the existence of a larger number. When proving basic results about the natural numbers in elementary number theory though, the proof may very well hinge on the remark that any natural number has a successor (which should then in itself be proved or taken as an axiom, see Peano's axioms).
Trivial proofs
Trash Boat
the most trivial question on Earth is: what the hell?
Oinari-sama

mathexpert wrote:

Apex wrote:

What does math-expert(not meth-expert, that's his alter-ego) say?
What do I have to say about the matter? Why, thank you for asking:
In mathematics, the adjective trivial is frequently used for objects (for example, groups or topological spaces) that have a very simple structure. The noun triviality usually refers to a simple technical aspect of some proof or definition. The origin of the term in mathematical language comes from the medieval trivium curriculum.

Examples include:

empty set: the set containing no members
trivial group: the mathematical group containing only the identity element
trivial ring: a ring defined on a singleton set.

Trivial also refers to solutions to an equation that has a very simple structure, but for the sake of completeness cannot be omitted. These solutions are called the trivial solution. For example, consider the differential equation

y'=y

where y = f(x) is a function whose derivative is y′. The trivial solution is

y = 0, the zero function

while a nontrivial solution is

y (x) = ex, the exponential function.

Similarly, mathematicians often describe Fermat's Last Theorem as asserting that there are no nontrivial integer solutions to the equation a^n + b^n = c^n when n is greater than 2. Clearly, there are some solutions to the equation. For example, a=b=c=0 is a solution for any n, but such solutions are all obvious and uninteresting, and hence "trivial".
Triviality in mathematical reasoning

Trivial may also refer to any easy case of a proof, which for the sake of completeness cannot be ignored. For instance, proofs by mathematical induction have two parts: the "base case" that shows that the theorem is true for a particular initial value such as n = 0 or n = 1 and then an inductive step that shows that if the theorem is true for a certain value of n, it is also true for the value n + 1. The base case is often trivial and is identified as such, although there are cases where the base case is difficult but the inductive step is trivial. Similarly, one might want to prove that some property is possessed by all the members of a certain set. The main part of the proof will consider the case of a nonempty set, and examine the members in detail; in the case where the set is empty, the property is trivially possessed by all the members, since there are none. (See also Vacuous truth.)

A common joke in the mathematical community is to say that "trivial" is synonymous with "proved" — that is, any theorem can be considered "trivial" once it is known to be true. Another joke concerns two mathematicians who are discussing a theorem; the first mathematician says that the theorem is "trivial". In response to the other's request for an explanation, he then proceeds with twenty minutes of exposition. At the end of the explanation, the second mathematician agrees that the theorem is trivial. These jokes point out the subjectivity of judgments about triviality. The joke also applies when the first mathematician says the theorem is trivial, but is unable to prove it himself. Often, as a joke, the theorem is then referred to as "intuitively obvious." Someone experienced in calculus, for example, would consider the statement that

\int_0^1 x^2\, dx = \frac{1}{3}

to be trivial. To a beginning student of calculus, though, this may not be obvious at all.

Triviality also depends on context. A proof in functional analysis would probably, given a number, trivially assume the existence of a larger number. When proving basic results about the natural numbers in elementary number theory though, the proof may very well hinge on the remark that any natural number has a successor (which should then in itself be proved or taken as an axiom, see Peano's axioms).
Trivial proofs
...I think I'll stick with his alter-ego =.=

A bus left the Scarlet Devil Mansion; three people boarded at the start
At Hakugyokurou, one left and half a person boarded
At Yakumo-san's house, two people left; so how many passengers in total?
The answer is, the answer is, zero people, zero people
That's because, that's because,
There are no buses in Gensokyo!
Kanye West
methexpert says it's time to get high
silmarilen
Xgor
FisHii is sleeping with the fishes. Oh wow.
Trash Boat
the most trivial question on Earth is: Can i has omins?
DaddyCoolVipper

battler077 wrote:

the most trivial question on Earth is: Can i has omins?