forum

Theory on the best aspect ratio for osu game.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Asake
Theory on best ratio for osu

My monitor ratio is 16/9 or 1.778
But the osu play area is 4/3 or 1.334

If you set tablet area to 1.778, your play area is 4/3, and meaning real life = cursor movement.
If you set tablet area to 1.334, your play area is 1/1 so it means if you draw the corners of osu play area you will draw a square in real life.

Pros:
Square jumps for example, it means you draw a square in real life. (Real life = in game cursor movement)
Cons:
Because playfield is 4/3, horizontal jumps are MUCH harder than vertical jumps. (Your hand has to stretch more)

Pros:
The difficulty to hit horizontal jumps is as easy as vertical jumps.
Cons:
There is acceleration in your “real life to cursor” movement, meaning what you draw won’t apply onscreen, meaning it feels more weird. (But technically this is not a problem if you get used to it)

The problem is when you look at maps in general, mappers tend to create patterns that are spaced the same vertically to horizontally, but during the whole map these patterns float around the whole play area.

In a group of jumps ex. Star jumps, 1.778 has an advantage(better precision), but from group to group (left side of the map to right side), 1.334 has an advantage because you don’t need to adjust your grip as much as 1.778, achieving better precision.
1.778 players can solve this by A: setting a smaller area (less precision but better long jump potential and speed) or B: having a way to adjust mid-map (ex. full area players use in arms to aim).

Conclusion:
If you have a way to move your pen from side to side and achieve the same comfort in aiming, your aspect ratio can be more toward 1.778 because it will feel more “realistic” and therefore have more improvement in aim over time. For example Vaxei, who uses a 1.778 aspect ratio, the way he holds his pen lets him be a lot more comfortable moving side to side, resulting in his aim looking very smooth because of how natural your eye to hand coordination could be. (with long term practice)

If you hold the pen in a way that you don’t have much free movement overall, I suggest leaning more to 1.334, because it will decrease the chances of your pen slipping or your aim going out of shape during the whole map. Ex. Mrekk’s grip denies him a lot of free movement across the tablet, so he uses a 1.46ish aspect ratio and sets his area smaller than average (3000 area), yet he still is able to achieve high precision in aiming due to practice and effort. (And maybe genetics)

For me, my grip denies me a lot of sideways movement, but I can do vertical movement effectively, so I went further down till my aspect ratio is 1, meaning I can have more precision vertically and I just have to focus more on my precision horizontally (jump practice maps in general).
kujubuo
preference
bzcat
Really helpful,thanks!