forum

Why are these scores so absurdly better?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ultimate_Cactus
So I recently I've gotten a couple of scores that are miles better than my previous scores when my actual gameplay hasn't been that much better. Why is this?

It seems to be because I have better accuracy in the start, which leads to a combo/score boost or something like that.

Examples
This first one I've played twice, and one score got over 3 times the previous score, although only played slightly better.

This second song I've played multiple times, and occasionally I get significantly better scores.
dung eater
combo > acc
Topic Starter
Ultimate_Cactus

dung eater wrote:

combo > acc
But why is there such a massive difference?
Gamesnake7

Ultimate_Cactus wrote:

dung eater wrote:

combo > acc
But why is there such a massive difference?
Because osu is a combo game unlike mania
Corne2Plum3

cry about it
Karmine

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

cry about it
Outspinnng yourself unlocks a whole new level of frustration.

Also score depends heavily on combo, better combo = better score (usually), missing a single note near the middle of the map can drastically lower your score.

A better metric to see your improvements would be accuracy or how many misses you have/whether you can FC.
Topic Starter
Ultimate_Cactus

Karmine wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

cry about it

Also score depends heavily on combo, better combo = better score (usually), missing a single note near the middle of the map can drastically lower your score.

A better metric to see your improvements would be accuracy or how many misses you have/whether you can FC.
Ah ok that makes a lot of sense thanks :)
Voidedosu

Karmine wrote:

Corne2Plum3 wrote:

cry about it

*laughs in SS's so this doesn't happen*

But yeah, if you want to get the most score short of a SS, you want to miss very early or very late, with a heavy preference to the former. Missing early and then building up to the huge score increases per circle nets you more than a high combo derailed at the very end, more often than not. I do assume that, if the map is perfectly symmetrical combo-wise without spinners (aka a 3-tick slider is on combo 20-23x as well as 78-80x, and so forth) and two plays of the map miss in the exact same spot on either end (25x and 75x, for example), they will garner the exact same score, but I don't know if that's actually true or not.