forum

Things osu! has taught you (except for how to click circles)

posted
Total Posts
show more
DaddyCoolVipper

Wojjan wrote:

I am not convinced that people you meet anywhere - irl or online - because you share a similar interest can be very good friends

You don't build a relationship entirely around your interest, though. I don't talk to all of my friends about how great it is to click circles and get pp, it's just another way to meet people. I said it to you in PM, but I don't think that such shallow relationships are the fault of meeting someone via osu! or whatever- it seems like more of a personal thing, that you yourself don't want your relationships to become any more than "we both click circles for fun".

Perhaps trying to see things from a different perspective would let you get closer to others like that, but then again, that doesn't seem to be something you want at all. Just try not to apply your own sense of what a friendship should be to what friendships *can* be, because they're two totally different things.
Jarby

Wojjan wrote:

I am not convinced that people you meet anywhere - irl or online - because you share a similar interest can be very good friends. You can get along with them and enjoy talking to them but in se that is not what a true friendship is about. It's pretty much a distinction between "friend" and "pal." Friends have to resonate on a much more personal level with me, a level which you will never reach with largely online contact/sporadic hangouts at conventions. The story of Kyonko and JJ meeting each other was touching and I'm sure they had fun together, but they'll need to see each other and be there for each other, in the most literal sense, a lot more than that for them to feel the way I do about the people I consider friends.

People can send you an e-hug but compared to actually hugging someone, does it even hold up?
Your post had a sort of authoritative last word vibe to it, so I get the impression that you kind of need to realize that not everyone has the same hangups about friendship or the same feelings about indirect interaction. Regardless of how you personally can't have a meaningful emotional connection online is irrelevant to the positive experiences of others.

It's very easy to be skeptical of people in close relationships online and to see them as naïve, lonely children, but being in a relationship where communication is almost entirely online really brought it down to earth to me. It might not work for everyone, but it's made me happy and you sure as hell can provide emotional support online and have a close connection.
Wojjan
All my posts have a sort of last word vibe to them.

I understand the argument you're making, but I still don't agree. The point I'm making is not that on-line friendships don't happen - of course they do. I just said that they're not worth anything compared to real-life friends. There is no benefit in seeking on-line friends that you can't get from a person close by (unless you are super into people with a much too open-minded idea of sarcasm), and there are many things that an exclusively on-line friend can't offer which an off-line friend can.
DaddyCoolVipper

Wojjan wrote:

there are many things that an exclusively on-line friend can't offer which an off-line friend can.
Yes, this is true.

Wojjan wrote:

they're not worth anything compared to real-life friends
what are you smoking m8

You don't have to take a "maximum efficiency" approach to life, you know. Sure, you can do things with IRL friends that you can't do with friends on the Internet, but how on earth does that make them "not worth anything" in comparison? It's like saying that someone's not worth anything because they live 20 miles away in comparison to your friend that's 10 miles away, because they're less convenient to do things with. It's a stupid and ignorant way to look at any relationship with others via the internet.
Wojjan
Nothing is ignorant about practicality! When you are thinking in slim odds that you will ever at all meet this person face to face you're not talking about convenience, but about a critical and fundamental aspect of communication being highly likely to never even exist between both of you, so I'd appreciate less bullshit straw-man arguments where you scale down the problem to make it seem as if it's easily conquered in your attempts to make me look antisocial because I unfriended you on Steam. :^)
DaddyCoolVipper

Wojjan wrote:

Nothing is ignorant about practicality! When you are thinking in slim odds that you will ever at all meet this person face to face you're not talking about convenience, but about a critical and fundamental aspect of communication being highly likely to never even exist between both of you

You don't need to even meet people, you know. Do you really not understand this?

Wojjan wrote:

I'd appreciate less bullshit straw-man arguments where you scale down the problem to make it seem as if it's easily conquered in your attempts to make me look antisocial because I unfriended you on Steam. :^)
hoooly shit, don't take an argument against your point as a personal attack! If you'd like to fight with me, do it in PM. :^)

By the way, removing people from your friends list doesn't seem to show up on theirs. Or if they do, then I removed you first, m8, because you were never interested in being friends and I didn't want to think of you in a way that couldn't be mutual.

...But yes, let's really not argue in the thread like this.
Wojjan
We seem to have a fundamentally different understanding of a friendship and what we seek in one. I know I can't be genuine friends with someone I will never see in person, because basically everything I do with my friends except talking and movies/video games would be missing. If that's enough for you, so be it, I guess, but what osu! has taught me is not to invest too much in on-line contacts beyond platonic camaraderie.

hey and don't apologise for discussion when it's interesting and on topic
Cyclohexane
I was just gonna say that I've always felt much closer to friends online than irl friends and I tend to hang out (even IRL) with the former more often. I haven't ever cared about any of my rare irl friends more than I care about my online friends -- especially Alice

I guess it's really up to the person to interpret that, but yeah.

Then again even online I tend to stick to a few close friends that I really care about. If you're talking about "osu friendlist is osu peopleIacknowledgetheexistenceoflist", then I totally agree.
silmarilen
ive been trying to keep my osu friendlist as a list of people i actually like and like to talk to frequently, to but i still havent been able to do that.
but then again, there would be maybe 10 people in there if i actually did that
Bweh
I've observed that an online relationship is on a different level than a "real" one.

Take for instance, this thread. Imagine we were all at a lecture hall or a dining hall instead of our rooms, comfortably typing into our computers. The situation changes completely; the way you see other people changes entirely. Wojjan stops being this dominatrix Patchouli, Jarby stops being drunk Kotetsu, I stop being whatever you people see me as, and so on.

That's not exactly a bad thing. On one end, Patchouli is a lot easier to approach than my real self, so it's easier to start up as many relationships and conversations as possible. However, you might find that these relationships might end up being superficial compared to real ones. You can't go beyond text and media to interact online. On a real situation, you can do more: instead of calling someone an imbecile and a jerk you can punch them; instead of saying "less than three" and ":3" you can hug them. I digress.

The point is that you can get more out of real interaction than the online sort. It's why people want to meet up with each other in the first place. You'll end up valuing your irl friends more if you actually try.

I'm not saying online friends are worthless though. They're fun and shit, but sometimes I just want to talk to them over some drinks or maybe some dinner instead of a monitor.
Topic Starter
mathexpert

Brian OA wrote:

The situation changes completely; the way you see other people changes entirely. Wojjan stops being this dominatrix Patchouli, Jarby stops being drunk Kotetsu, I stop being whatever you people see me as, and so on.
Contrary to popular belief, I am NOT perpetually eating toast.
NotEvenDoomMusic

mathexpert wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, I am NOT perpetually eating toast.
but you perpetually smoke weed and do meth.

ps: just got home after a tiring night and went to the comp i've set to standby to see that methexpert replied.
instareply.
Topic Starter
mathexpert
yes

if we ever have a osu! convention, I'll be the one thats high as fuk
Oinari-sama
Gee.. if you can be high at a convention, I can't imagine what you'll be like at a concert =.=
NotEvenDoomMusic

Oinari-sama wrote:

Gee.. if you can be high at a convention, I can't imagine what you'll be like at a concert =.=
methexpert would be the cleanest dude at the whole concert.

ps: going to sleep, tiring night is tiring.
stop smoke weed methexpert. pls.

also... OT: dunno, osu taught me how to sleep...?
Cyclohexane
@Brian OA : Maybe it's just me then. I don't particularly enjoy doing these things you mentioned IRL.

Plus I feel like I can never have a serious conversation with IRL friends or talk about what I like because they don't much care. I know the people that I hold close to me online will take me seriously when the time is right.

I don't really know what my point is. I just don't value real life friendship over online friendship I guess, and the line is blurred especially since I've met many of them IRL, sometimes several times (Sushi, etc) and I don't act very differently IRL than I do here. Maybe I'm more talkative because I think people here have more of a chance of giving a crap about what I say though

God dammit I have become the perfect /r9k/ poster and I hate that board
Bweh
No, I get your point. It's not just due to the facades, but it's easier to open up and talk about really anything online.
daredakke

Mr Color wrote:

Plus I feel like I can never have a serious conversation with IRL friends or talk about what I like because they don't much care. I know the people that I hold close to me online will take me seriously when the time is right.
Man, I know exactly how you feel.

Also, to add to the topic further, I suppose Osu! has taught me that I can be addicted to a video game. That generally doesn't happen.
Restless Spirit
osu! taught me not to rage instantly anymore if I make a mistake because I made far too many mistakes in that game which led to my inevitable loss. I learned to take tzhis view to another level and apply it to my daily life. I've become calmer with everything I do or with everything happening.
MarioBound
osu! taught me that Samurai Pizza Cats can apparently be in a music game.
jjrocks
osu! taught me that friends don't have to be offline, how to make the best out of a bad situation, how there is a world of other music out there.

Honestly, it taught me how to lead. I can say for sure that I wouldn't be in the place I am now without my time here. (I should really go and say thanks to some folks here)
chaee
osu taught me to not expect much from people ;w;
Kyno
Osu! taught me to turn my volume down on unkown maps.

R.I.P. headphone players ;_;
Ruiika_old
Osu taught me about other bands that I now enjoy listening to.
Seikunai
osu! taught me how to play a different game besides League of Legends.
Nathanael
osu! taught me to always do my best as possible on whatever I do.
izzydemon

Priti wrote:

It taught me that Vocaloid isn't all super squeeky annoying girls.