forum

Lag

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chingy1788
Any official systems requirements?
doesn't look like a game that takes a lot

I'm running a Turion MT-32 Processor (1.8GHz)
1GB RAM (128MB Shared)
128MB on board ATI X200M Graphics chipset
or just a Fujitsu S2110

I get Lag when those smoky/stars effects come out and I lose it due to lag

Are there any tweaks or updates?
any recommendations on making it not lag?
phill_old
What song specifically? I have the same graphics chipset so I can test a bit..
Topic Starter
chingy1788
I get these problems with any song
I have the latest ATI Drivers from ATI/AMD

Songs i got:
September
Jumpin jack flash
canned heat
portal
Feel Good Inc
Dragostea Din Tei
eyup
Haha I'm sure peppy will be thrilled to hear about this - he only spent about a whole day optimizing those starrrrs ^^
peppy
I would say update your graphics drivers. I'd be interested to see if phill gets the same lag. In order to replicate, just watch the #1 replay of any song and notice the points when stars appear (combo at 30 60 100 150 200 250 etc.)
awp
it'd be nice if my lag was not spontaneous as the case here ;___;
Topic Starter
chingy1788
The lag is not spntaneous
The lag comes when ever those stars/smoky effects appear
I've updated to the latest 8.1 ATI Drivers
I still get lag
I've played a replay of a song, the replay had lag when the stars come
awp

chingy1788 wrote:

The lag is not spntaneous
no, but mine is

I need to basically factory-reset my system to fix it I think
Surge_old
I noticed the longer osu is open the laggier it gets, I blame the irc logging. Also when osu decides to freeze it really goes for the full 100% cpu system lock-up, nice.
Topic Starter
chingy1788
i turned off all the detail stuff, which got rid of those smoke effects and now it doesnt lag

silly me
peppy
If you still experience lag, try dropping down your resolution (assuming you are running at higher than 640x480). The main reason for lag is the fact that osu! is highly dependent on pixel shaders, and some older/lower performing cards don't have great support for this yet (although all newer cards, 2005+ish should do fine).

It might seem strange and look like its my fault that such a visually "simple" game can lag on some systems, but the truth of the matter is that drawing 2D in direct3d requires a relatively large fill-rate - in many cases more than a recent 3d game. This is due to the textures being huge, and always fully visible, with no/little optimisation from mipmap compression when resizing (because the sprites are usually drawn at full size).

The biggest draw on fill-rate is drawing semi-transparent sprites which overlap others. This is referred to as overdrawing, as each pixel which has more than one sprite must be drawn more than once. With several sprites (even when they are fully transparent at the area to be drawn) this can get relatively complex and graphically intensive. The best example (as has been mentioned already in this thread) is star bursts and fire effects.

In short, try dropping your resolution and upgrading your graphics card's drivers, and also disabling fire effects. I may add an option to also reduce other effects such as star bursts in the near future if peoplea re still having issues with them.
Gilrad

Surge wrote:

...Also when osu decides to freeze it really goes for the full 100% cpu system lock-up, nice.

Do you get these freezes since around three or four public builds ago? And do they occur whenever you're transitioning from a song to the menu? I get them too, and I think it might be somewhat related to your sound card/drivers, because I had similar freezing problems in another game, disabled music, and the problems went away.
Surge_old

Gilrad wrote:

Surge wrote:

...Also when osu decides to freeze it really goes for the full 100% cpu system lock-up, nice.

Do you get these freezes since around three or four public builds ago? And do they occur whenever you're transitioning from a song to the menu? I get them too, and I think it might be somewhat related to your sound card/drivers, because I had similar freezing problems in another game, disabled music, and the problems went away.
yes from menu to menu, usually when messing around while playing by clicking out of osu. I'm using my onboard sound instead now but I haven't clicked out or done anything while playing yet to cause it to freeze.
peppy
I'm pretty sure the 100% cpu usage is a mixture of directx shortcomings and my attempt at overcoming them. This can most probably be fixed, and is already on my short-list of bug fixes. It is only caused by alt-tabbing during game transitions, as has already been mentioned... so if you can avoid this for the time being!
Surge_old
thanks for acknowledging the freezing issue during transitions. I feel much better knowing it's just a bug.
devkit4384
Hmm. i had the same problem , try playing osu offline completly dissconnect yourself from the internet because Osu is constantly being updated with new ranks.