forum

[Proposal] Enforce setting GD owners on maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hivie
Now that there's a dedicated list for Ranked GDs on userpages, I think we now should enforce setting GD owners on maps because of 3 reasons:

1. I've seen many ranked maps where a GD doesn't have an owner set, which can take away credit from the GDer with this new feature.
  2. You can't edit GD owners in nominated/qualified maps, therefore it requires a pop/DQ in order to set a GD owner.
  3. You also can't set GD owners on ranked maps, therefore when a map ranks, a GDer can forever lose the chance to have said GD display on their profiles.
This issue can be addressed with one of 2 solutions:
  1. Allow mappers to set GD owners on nominated/qualified/ranked maps via this Github issue.
  2. Enforce setting GD owners with the RC in order to properly credit GDers with this new feature.
Edit: For 2-person collabs, I think you should enforce setting GD owner to the other person so the map appears on both userpages. and for +3-person collabs it shouldn't be enforced due to technical limitations, unless this Github issue gets implemented.
wafer
yea

seems best 2 implement both nngl
Axer
This is literally a necessary change. Yes. Agree. Both. Please.
NeKroMan4ik
huge agree, without these 2 this feature is kinda pointless right now
tilda
agree 100%, tho the linked issue (re: collabs) seems like something this should be blocked by because the current solution really isn't too good for collab diffs
hac
Agree with both 100%.
Jemzuu
yessir
THAT_otaku
yep yep ^
Chatie
Absolutely!
AnimeStyle
Literally my first thought, thanks for making the initial post <3
McEndu
Agreed. Once we fleshed out the wording, it should be trivial to make a PR
Greaper
Agree that this should be done, although wouldn't it be better if the user could be detected automatically? I suppose that would be more something for the DEV team to decide, however for now enforcing this could be something we can do for sure.

Hivie wrote:

Edit: For 2-person collabs, I think you should enforce setting GD owner to the other person so the map appears on both userpages. and for +3-person collabs it shouldn't be enforced due to technical limitations, unless this Github issue gets implemented.
For collabs I wouldn't enforce this but rather wait until a decision has been made in the Github issue you linked.
Ixcors
agree!

Greaper wrote:

Agree that this should be done, although wouldn't it be better if the user could be detected automatically? I suppose that would be more something for the DEV team to decide, however for now enforcing this could be something we can do for sure.
do not agree this should be done automatically, naming conflicts and changing usernames can cause some fuck ups when detecting who the user actually is. i think it's better if it were a manual thing.
Topic Starter
Hivie
peppy said here that he'd do an automatic check on already ranked maps, and give GMT/NAT the permission to edit GD owners in order to deal with edge cases.

This however should still be enforced because of the reasons I mentioned before, and because I think it's as significant as GDer names in tags now.
Ixcors
in that case, sounds good!
Greaper
Okay since nobody really is against it UberFazz and I decided to push this forward. As this is mostly a fix we will get this out ASAP.

The following wording will be used:

RC wrote:

Guest difficulty creators, storyboarders, skinners and hitsounders must be added to the tags of a beatmap. This is to give credit where credit is due and help others identify the main contributors of any given beatmap. Usernames containing single characters separated by spaces must have the spaces replaced with underscores.
Guest difficulty creators, storyboarders, skinners and hitsounders must be added to the tags of a beatmap.
Guest difficulty creators must be set as difficulty owners for their respective difficulties in addition to being added to tags. This is to give credit where credit is due and help others identify the main contributors of any given beatmap. Usernames in tags containing single characters separated by spaces must have the spaces replaced with underscores.
When support for collabs will be added we will do an extra iteration on this. But for now, this should be good for now.

RC: https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/7215
Topic Starter
Hivie
looks like it's merged, this can safely be archived now