forum

How to play maps with high bpm as a semi-alt player?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Feli-san
Hey there o/

Just having a problem, I'd need some advice from the community:

I am fairly decent in Taiko (Rank 3.1k atm) and I am now somewhere at the edge of playing 5-5.30*. But only with 170-195 bpm, anything higher than that in bpm causes me to freak out, bc I don't know how to hit triplets or higher when playing with high bpm.

I play inverted kddk semi-alt (dkkd with s and k the don's and x and m as the katsu's.. don't blame me for that, it works for me somehow xD) but normally I single-tap like all d/k with my left hand when they are in the bpm range named above and my right hands only assists when doing streams. But when playing higher bpm (210+), a Muzukashii/Oni feels like playing an Outer Oni, because I can't (and won't) single-tap smth at 240+ bpm, I don't have the stamina and fast fingers in order to manage that.

Are there any kddk/dkkd players out there, who are full alternating high bpm maps or generally somehow manage to hit those patterns, when they are coming that fast? Please share that Holy Grail with me xD

All the best!
Tedward765
as a person who has been singletapping pretty much the whole time, learning semi alt wasn't something i did actively, i just sorta randomly tried alting when i felt like it, gradually I started being able to do it with more patterns.

also about the bpm range you mentioned "175-195bpm" on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is the most straining, how much strain are you going through when you are playing 195 bpm? because if that is what you consider your 'limit' then what you need to do is practice more straining things at that bpm so that you build the stamina then when you are playing higher bpms, it will be less straining.
Topic Starter
Feli-san
on a scale to 1-10.. I guess it'd be an 7 or so
it always depends on how one song has been mapped.. if there are long monocolour streams with d or k, 180 bpm would be my limit, otherwise if I can switch between the middle and index finger, something around 205 bpm is doable and 210 bpm would be my limit now to play decent, 220 bpm are only possible if I smash the keys like a savage xD

btw. @Tedward765 how did you play, when you were only singletapping, like triplets, streams etc. did you all those singletap? I ask out of curiosity..
Aiery
pretty much just play at a higher bpm where you are able to reliably hit a good amount of notes (maybe 90-95% accuracy) and you'll naturally get faster
Tedward765

Feli-san wrote:

on a scale to 1-10.. I guess it'd be an 7 or so
it always depends on how one song has been mapped.. if there are long monocolour streams with d or k, 180 bpm would be my limit, otherwise if I can switch between the middle and index finger, something around 205 bpm is doable and 210 bpm would be my limit now to play decent, 220 bpm are only possible if I smash the keys like a savage xD

btw. @Tedward765 how did you play, when you were only singletapping, like triplets, streams etc. did you all those singletap? I ask out of curiosity..
I used to singletap everything and i still do(I used to play high bpm like this 230bpm+), although I have kinds of learned how to alternate im just not very good at it yet and i only use it when im running out of stamina or when im not really trying. (just watch my older replays from around 2018 or something)

Now as for stamina advice, I am actually working on that myself since I have lost a lot of it since taking a break and I'm trying to take a careful approach to it since my main hand has sustained an injury from my very active days of playing. What im doing at the moment is playing stuff that is slightly above my comfortable range at the moment which is 170-180bpm so that means i would practice my stamina with 190bpm and occasionally play 200bpm, then when i get tired ill just play some less straining stuff or just stop playing for the day.

the most important thing is to not overdo the practicing. you need breaks as well.

Also just a little advice while doing this, if the following day after you practiced stamina you suddenly lose your stamina or some speed don't be worried. Just don't play or play stuff that is not straining at all because you hands are recovering from your training. (the last thing you want is to injure your self because of this)
Topic Starter
Feli-san
@Tedward765 Wow, thanks a lot for the advice :D I guess I will have to learn full-alt when playing higher bpm maps, like around 210+ bpm and below that leave it at semi-alt, bc I can play pretty decent with semi-alt, but in order to play smth around 240, 260 and so on, learning full alt, would be the best idea, since singletapping 250 bpm can't be healthy, does it?

@Aiery xD that's like the "God answer" to all osu skill-based questions.. "play more and everything will be fine" xD although it even is mostly the solution to these questions
Tedward765

Feli-san wrote:

singletapping 250 bpm can't be healthy, does it?
bit of a late reply cus of my exams but it really just depends on technique, its totally fine as long as you take a healthy approach to it (i.e. it shouldn't be painful)

Its kinda like going to the gym, obviously if you try to use the heaviest weights on your first day, you are going to get an injury. But if you build up your strength first through training, then it will be much easier.