posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
JacoPOP
Ok, the question is pretty obvious..
When did you start playing videogames?
Which platforms do you like the most?
Which genres do you like?

Tell me whaterver you want about your passion..

Personally, i first played videogames in the late '80, i had some "TIGER game & watch"s.. i remember vividly the Doble Dragon one..
My first personal console was the game-gear (my sister had an Atari 2600 but i didn't like the games :lol: )..
Than the passion started..
MEGA-DRIVE (genesis)
Super Nintendo
Playstation
Nintendo 64
and so on..

Today i'm a not so proud owner of a 360 and a PSP..in fact, I find myself playing mostly with emulators on the handheld..
My favourite rhythm game ever is FREQUENCY... i think i've played that game for about 4 years.. re-playing it again and again..

I've never played Ouedan.. i just tried a couple of songs.. I hate myself for having sold my DS 1 year ago..

Please correct my mistakes.. i'm here to learn..
eyup
Correct your mistakes by buying your DS back :mrgreen:

My gaming history is as follows:

-Nintendo Famicom (a.k.a. NES) Favourite Game(s): Mario Bros!
-Nintendo Super Famicom (a.k.a. SNES). Super Mario World
-Sega Megadrive. Golden Axe, Bare Knuckle
-PS1. Gran Turismo 1&2, Metal Gear Solid 1, Front Mission 3
-PS2. GT3, FFX, Disgaea
-NDS. EBA, Phoenix Wright 1 2&3, New Super Mario

That doesn't count the PC as a gaming platform of course :D
Starrodkirby86
Following your question template, here are my answers:
1. Ever since I was a wee little boy, 4 or 5 maybe.
2. They're all really good, though the SNES is starting to bring back great memories, of course you can't leave the DS and Wii out. But I'm recently playing the 64 and Gamecube.
3. RPG, Rhythm, Adventure, Platformer, and Strategy.

I love to ROM Hack on old console games. It's very fun, and impresses the people who oversee.
phill_old
I used to like lots of games but pretty much all I ever play now is Nethack.

Sometimes I spice things up a bit and play Incursion.
meyou22
Probably at the ripe old age of 6.

My favourite consoles?

N64: Iggy's Wrecking Balls, Mario Party 1, 2, 3, Mario Karty, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf
Gamecube: Mario Party 5, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Tales of Symphonia
GBA: Advance Wars 1, 2, Pokemon Fire Red, Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
DS: Ouendan 1, 2, the Elite Beat, Advance Wars DS, Brain Age
PS2: DDR Extreme 2, DDR Supernova, Tales of Legendia
Wii: DDR Hottest Party, Warioware Smooth Moves, My Sims, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Mario Party 8

I love Dance and Music games, as well as anything Multiplayer or RPG.
tensheapz

phill wrote:

I used to like lots of games but pretty much all I ever play now is Nethack.

Sometimes I spice things up a bit and play Incursion.
Nethack you say... I've been pretty stuffed with ADOM myself. Have you tried it? Haven't been able to get past say.. level 15 whilst playing legitly, ever >.<

- About 4 or 5. Played like some garfield game because I was too scared to play Qix.

- PC. Too lazy to walk to the TV and turn on the console, plus it doesn't have MSN. Also, bro is usually using it anyway.

-RPG, RTS, Turn-based strategy. Everything besides FPS and sport i suppose.
chan

tensheapz wrote:

I've been pretty stuffed with ADOM myself. Have you tried it? Haven't been able to get past say.. level 15 whilst playing legitly, ever >.<
ADOM is an awesome game and I should pick it up again when I have some free time.

Back in the day on the old XT (like 17 years ago, when I was 3!). First games included Digdug, Sokoban, Battle Chess, 4x4, Summer Games, Games (I assume olympic), Silpheed and Sniper.

PC. I mean, can't you play just about any platform on a PC provided an emulator exists? Osu! proves my point :D

Not sure ^^' Bemani style games (guitar freaks/drum mania) are kinda fun. Maybe RPG, fighting, racing, RTS.
GEN_old
I think the first game I played was alleycat or something like that when I was very young and my Dad took me in to his work one weekend. He also had a friend who lived around the corner with a bunch of computers.

The first stuff I can actually remember is my grandparents' C64. That was the best thing ever. I don't think I ever played a game on it that I didn't like. That said I was like 4 or 5 and even changing the colours of the startup screen with POKE amused me. After that we got an Atari, followed by SNES (greatest console ever) and all the rest. The chronological order gets messy.

When I finally got a PC decent enough to play games I didn't really touch consoles for years. Then after experiencing the troubles PCs can give and having my hardware become antiques too quickly, I decided to give all of that up and go back to consoles for gaming. It's kinda paid off. Most big games are coming to at least one of the consoles nowadays, and my PC is still powerful enough to play games like Osu!. Plus I get to sit back on the couch while gaming, and do it on a 40" screen!

As for genres, I can't really pick one or two. I'll play most things if they look fun in some way. I have always like racing games though (thankyou stunts). I used to be big into RPGs but who has the time any more? :(
Extor
I play videogames since I'm 3 I think... The Atari was already there when I got my first memories, so maybe I "played" with it before... =P

Platforms... instead of platforms I like the games on them. I currently have a Wii, a DS and a dead Dreamcast (And my PC), but I love all the consoles equally. I got the Wii and DS because those are most unlikely to get emulated perfectly on a PC. XD

And genres. I play anything, as long as I like the game. That means that I can like rythm games, but if I find a very bad one, I'm not going to touch it.

My systems were:

Atari (Don't remember which one)
NES (AKA "Family game" here in Argentina)
Sega Genesis
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Wii
Lumino
Hmm this is tough....

Gaming History.
Earliest memory of games/consoles starts at the Commodore 64, playing games like Pit Fall 1, Pit Stop 2, and some other cool ones (cool at the time ;) )
I remember playing some Atari at my cousin's house, the disturbing boxing game where you punch the other guy in the 'nose' which was mistaken for a wang.
From there we got a NES when it was very new at the time, came with Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt and also the Zapper (Light Gun).
It was the NES for years after that, so many good games, Street Gangs, Double Dragon 2, ahh memories!
Eventually it was the SNES, lots of games there, too many to name.
Throw a Gameboy Pocket in there somewhere, and N64, and Gameboy Advance. Timeline for these is a blur.
Ah and can't forget the ol' computer since 1995, 486 DX2-S with 8MB RAM (fear it!) and 1MB RAM video card. Playing games like Doom 2 across serial cable and using Norton Commander to transfer games in DOS, so old school.

These days it's just PC, I don't really have any consoles that I play at home, but I plan to get a DS Lite soon.
[deleted user]
When I was 3 years old. Started with the PS1 actually so i'm a fairly recent gamer. Ah the days where it used to take me a good half hour to get through the first level in Crash Bandicoot 1.

A bit hard to pick so i'll change it to what I have:
PS1
PS2
Nintendo DS
Wii
Gameboy Colour
Gameboy Advance
A really high performance computer that I don't use to it's capacity AT ALL ;)

I was never a big fan of those new blind-the-player-with-sweet-graphics games so I'll see the older platformers, adventure, RPG, the occasional action/one of the previous (like Cave Story! Anyone played that?)

EDIT: How did I forget rhythm games in that last question!
kaosblaze
Oh HO... Video games? *takes a deeeep breath*

I currently own:
A GBC
A GBA
A DS Lite
A PSP
A Dreamcast
A PS2
An Xbox
An Xbox 360
A PC (if it counts)
A Wii

I have owned:
An N64 (broken, suddenly shut off and started smoking)
A PSX (dunno what happened to it)
A GBA SP (lost it T_T)
A DS (Broke, got the Lite)

I am currently playing:
Elite Beat Agents (DS)
Electroplankton (DS)
God of War (PS2)
Dead Rising (X360)
Crackdown (X360)
Wii Sports (Wii)
Final Fantasy I (Remake, PSP)
Call of Duty 3 (Wii)
Warcraft 3 (PC)
Lumines (PSP, X360)
Every Extend Extra (PSP)

Aaaand I think that's it.
Kylecito
no, i hate videogames :'(
Ivalset
Uh, I guess I started when I was 3, on my sister's super nintendo. Playing Super Mario World, of course, though I wasn't passionate about gaming until I played Super Mario RPG.

Platforms I like the most...
PC, PS2, and Gamecube I guess. I've gone out of touch with the next gen consoles, so, uh, yeah. I also have an xbox, but I only played Jade Empire, so uh, yeah.

Favorite Genre:
RPGs, and uh, puzzle games? Christ, I don't know. I guess I play a lot of rhythm games. Oh, and Portal. That deserves its own genre.
Topic Starter
JacoPOP
Oh my god i completely forgot to write the Dreamcast, one of the best consoles in my life.. :oops:
tsububu
When I was about 10. Started with the NES/GameBoy Phat, then SNES/GameboyPocket, Playstation1 and my latest is the DS.

I like games that don't require any thinking, e.g. street fighter, and OSU!
I find RPG and puzzle games too hard.
Rod_old
Heck, sometimes I wonder if I already played them before I was born. I was so little I don't even remember when did I start playing. Maybe 3... had an Atari 2600, even though I don't recall any decent games I've had on it except Enduro.

I feel myself obliged to tell which were my consoles before answering this question :3
I've had:
Atari 2600
Some other 80's thingy I don't recall the name
Mega Drive (SEGAAAA )
Snes
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Game Boy Advance (I've won it for no reason, without even asking... never really liked it :/)
Nintendo DS (ups and downs)

From there, the ones that were my favourites were probably the Nintendo 64, Mega Drive and GameCube, in that order.

Adventures, rhythm games, and some RPG's. I'm not really into genres alone, I'll just play whatever might be fun or interesting. Nowadays I'm incredibily thirsty for complex and lenghy games, but about an hour ago I was having a blast playing Nintendogs. Go figure.

And while I'm at it, I'll say some of my favourite games of all time. q:
Mega Drive: Sonic 2 ♥, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Contra - The Hard Corps, Gunstar Heroes.
N64: Zelda: Ocarina of Time (hell, I've lost count of how many times I've finished it), Ogre Battle 64, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros
GameCube: Metroid Prime, Zelda: Wind Waker, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Skies of Arcadia Legends
Game Boy Advance: Drill Dozer ♥, WarioWare Inc., Rhythm Tengoku (amazing rhythm game!)
Nintendo DS: Bought it for Ouendan.
TimeSplitter95
I've got a DS, a PC (WOW, REALLY???!!!) and a PS2. My fav games are TimeSplitters 2 and 3 (PS2), Resident Evil 4 (PS2) Serious Sam 1 and 2 (PC), Resident Evil DS (DS) the demo of Toribash (PC - wtf is the difference between the demo and the full game???) and Flyff (free online game, PC). I'm going to get a 360, too ;) Then I can play games like Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo,... Just sad that I can't play games like The Punisher, Dead Rising and Gears Of War: they're forbidden in Germany :x :oops: :cry: :evil: :( :o :shock:
Oddbrother
Let's see what I've been through:

I started playing video games when I was actually 3. I wasn't a collector though, because back then, my family wasn't able to afford much. However, time by time, we got better and better jobs. So I got into video games much more. WOOHOO! (I think I need help.)

NES
Sega Mega Drive (Genesis)
Nintendo Game Boy
Sega Game Gear
Sega (Mega) CD
Tiger R-Zone (Dude, wtf!)
Sony PlayStation
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Sega Dreamcast
Microsoft Xbox
Sony PlayStation 2
Nintendo DS
Microsoft Xbox 360
Sony PlayStation Portable
Nintendo Wii

The platforms that I liked the most were:
Sega Mega Drive (Genesis) - 16-bit color, fast-paced performance, good arcade game library
Sega Dreamcast - New generation graphics, online features like the Saturn (but had to use modem unless you bought third party hardware)

Favorite games:
Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle 2 - What better than to beat up criminals while enjoying the great modern dance music and arcade feel at the same time. Can't get any better than that, can you?
Virtua Fighter - I enjoyed this fighting game because not only was it in 3D, but was at least more realistic than Street Fighter: No mystical powers, no fireballs. The game was balanced in almost every way possible, except as if though you were fighting on the moon.
Dance Dance Revolution - I can't go wrong with rhythm games. This is one of them. A game where use your feet.
Meteos - Fast paced VS puzzle game, much like Puzzle Fighter, but with more pressure.

So yeah, I was more of a SEGA freak back then. :| Time flies when you sure are having fun. :D
TimeSplitter95
W :shock: W! Let me guess, you've got your own video game room? :twisted:
chan

Oddbrother wrote:

Tiger R-Zone (Dude, wtf!)
LOL that's such a random console to own. Are you still in possession of that list of consoles/do they still work?
Loginer
Some of my biggest memories in my life are related to video games, and I have a pretty "sad" story to tell, seen from a gamers' perspective.

I started out getting familiar with technology when I was about 2 years old. That is, I pressed buttons on a keyboard and wondered what would happen. At the age of 3 or 4, I got a Game Boy from my dad, because one of his friends’ kids was bored of it. I played for a couple of minutes, and I even remember the game, Toy Story. I was having a blast, when my mom decided that this kind of stuff was dangerous to me. So she took it from me, and hid it.

Now, let’s jump a couple of years forward. Now, I was 7, I think. At this point, I knew a lot about computers. However, the only thing I played on the computer at home was old DOS-games, mostly Outrun, and I barely knew the Internet existed. I had no consoles, and no handhelds. At this point, I thought the whole GB-thing was just a dream. So, anyway, it was finally time for my birthday. And there was only one, single thing I wanted. A Game Boy. So at my birthday, we went to Toys 'R Us. They had the GBC, and the recently released Game Boy Advance, so obviously I wanted a GBA. But nope, it was too expensive, so I had to settle for a GBC. Also, she wanted to leave without buying a game, as she couldn't even understand why I needed one. After what felt like ages of complaining, she decided to buy the cheapest game she could find, a puzzle game called Klustar. I got bored of it after a couple of weeks, but then dad went ahead and bought Super Mario Bros. DX. I had never played such a fun-filled game, and I was stunned by all the modes, extras, and the graphics.

But after about a week, I started the GBC up, and the "Nintendo" at the bottom was messed up. Also, the game didn't start up. I first panicked, but after trying to re-insert the game, it worked. For now. After only 1 or 2 days, the game was permanently destroyed. You see, something was wrong with the GBC, and it eventually ruined every cartridge you put into it. And what does my mom do? Does she take me to TRU to exchange the GBC? No, she throws away the receipt. T_T
Anyway, the next day or so, dad brings me a bag FULL of GB-games, and something else... My old GB from 4 years ago. :')
Sadly, the only game I remembered was not in the bag: Toy Story. So after I noticed, I followed dad into the basement, where he found the cartridge lying on the shelf where he found the bag. Anyway, let's continue.

The GB didn't destroy the games, but sadly, the treat of playing the games in color made me use the GBC instead. And one by one, all the good games were ruined. One particular game, The Hunt for Red October, broke after I played it a single time. However, one game kept working, if you put a thick piece of paper between the game and the Game Boy: Toy Story. As for that game, I remember not knowing how to finish the first level, until I found the instruction book. :/
Also, everyone I knew with a GBC had a Pokémon game, but I didn't. But I guess that it would break pretty early, so whatever.

So, after a while I found out about the GBA SP. It was released here in Europe 2 days before my birthday, so after I kept asking my mom every single day, she finally gave in, and bought it to me at the release day. She went to some random phone store for the GBASP itself, and to a toy store called "BR Leksaker" for the game I wanted, Rayman 3. I had lots of fun with it. I cleared it multiple times, finishing all the extra levels, finding all the Lums and cages, and even finding a small glitch in a level map. :]
And after a while, dad managed to discover VirtualBoyAdvance, and with that, I started to use emulators. The first game I ever emulated was Monsters Inc. for GBA, and when I finally got my own, super-crappy computer with a CPU on 90 MHz, I started playing Pokémon Diamond all day on the tiniest window ever. :3
I got pretty sad the day my save got corrupted, and the game started glitching as if I had caught Missingno or something. ;_;

Now, I could write an entire book about the GBA-games I got, so let’s just jump to my first console, the GameCube. For years, I wanted a console, but my mom just kept telling me that consoles were for people who couldn't afford a computer. However, after a while, dad agreed to buy a GameCube. So one day, he came home with TLoZ: Collector’s Edition, and a receipt worth a GameCube, since the store he went to didn't have any GC's right then.
Week after week passed without any GC, and after 2 months, they called to dad's cell phone from the store, saying that he could come and get his money back, and 50:-(About $8) extra. So he took the bus there, planning to buy an Xbox instead. However, while at the bus, he got another call, in which they said a miracle had happened. They just received a shipment of 20 GC's!! So he got the GC AND the extra money, which he used to buy a Memory Card.
However, there was more trouble ahead. You see, Zelda is only compatible with 60Hz, so I couldn't play the game. T.T
Instead, I had to wait until the last school day. It had just ended, and we were finally free for 2 months. The municipality had just built a place for everyone between 4th and 6th grade to hang out at, so I went there. They had lots of activities, but you needed a membership card, which was worth 200:-(About $32). So I ran home to ask my mom if she had 200:-. But when I came home, and saw Beyond Good & Evil for GC on the table, I thought "Screw that place", and immediately started playing. Up to this day, it is still one of the best games I've ever played.

I also bought a DS Phat on the release day. I had dreamed about it for a whole year, watching every conference Nintendo held, finding out everything I could about the DS, and simply talking about it all the time. At the day it was released, I went from school 10 minutes early to catch the bus. I was about 50 meters from the bus station, when I saw the bus approaching. I ran as fast as I could, and got to it just before it left. I also had to hurry to get to the train in time. :/
Anyway, when I got home, I ran into the bedroom, because I wanted it to be completely quiet when I unpacked the DS. It felt religious, opening the package and slowly picking out the DS. I was stunned at how nice-looking it was. I plugged it in, and waited for 3 long hours. When it was finally finished loading, I ran back to the bedroom, and played for the rest of the day. It was probably one of the best days of my life.

I've also bought a Wii, a 360, a DS Lite, and I've owned 3 more computers, but they don't have a worthwhile story to them, except for the fact that I got my Wii at the release date. Dad waited outside Toys 'R Us for 2 hours to get it. There was also about 40-50 persons camping outside another store, even though they would only get about 20 consoles, while Toys 'R Us had 10 consoles, which was enough for exactly everyone who waited there.

Now, I just hope someone out there actually reads all this. It took an hour to write. <_<
peppy

Loginer wrote:

Some of my biggest memories in my life ...
I'll read this when I get bored at work :).
chan
I find that (disturbingly) a touching story, but it's nice to see that you got and enjoyed some of the things you wanted.
I remember when I was like 7, my dad was frowning upon me playing Doom all the time, so he took the PC power cable when he went to work. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and I discovered that the plug to my kettle was the same shape as the power plug for the computer. Needless to say, my mum wasn't impressed with having to compete with me for the kettle plug, but at least she didn't tell my dad. Ah, the good ol' days.
peppy

chan wrote:

I find that (disturbingly) a touching story, but it's nice to see that you got and enjoyed some of the things you wanted.
I remember when I was like 7, my dad was frowning upon me playing Doom all the time, so he took the PC power cable when he went to work. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and I discovered that the plug to my kettle was the same shape as the power plug for the computer. Needless to say, my mum wasn't impressed with having to compete with me for the kettle plug, but at least she didn't tell my dad. Ah, the good ol' days.
I lol'd.
awp
So I just got Guitar Hero 3 today. Game is as expected, wireless controller is a bit sketchy.

I don't know if anyone else has picked this up (might be why the IRC is so quiet?) but I've got the PS2 version and the Guitar likes to occasionally not work. I'm pretty sure I've already located the source of the problem, as strumming never seems to have any problem, and oh! the neck of the guitar can be completely removed thanks to someone's brilliant design decision, so I think it has something to do with that being an insecure connection. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this.

When I'm feeling less lazy (or MORE lazy, being lazy enough to PLAY VIDEOGAME instead of do something constructive) I shall test on a few theories.
Manabeast
Awp, that's apparently a common problem in all versions. I got the 360 version, and luckily mine works fine.

I'd say go and ask for a replacement.
awp
I've been poking around on Google but there have not been any blogs about it yet. It's a bit stronger now, but whenever I tilt the guitar (for either Star Power or just plain effect) the frets just plain bail out on me. I can play with it if I don't move around much but I'm not fuckin' sittin' around like a toolbox when I play, I want to rock out like some childish idiot!

I'll check about returning it when I have some time, hopefully this week.
[deleted user]
I actually started playing when I was 2. My brother (older) gave me the SNES controller and I kept falling to my death in Super Mario World. I probably started playing properly when I was a bit older XD

Console List:
SNES (still works)
GB (the good old 4 battery one)
GBC (I have about 5 of these, don't ask me why)
GBA (2)
PSX
N64
Gamecube
PS2 (borrowed, but my friend never plays it so it's been at mine for a while)
Wii
-HM
Overwatch is pretty nice
Rilene
Do you know that this thread died 9 years ago? :(
@-HM
Endie-
Get out.
Tornado
The reviving is real
Stefan
Thanks for the pointless necrobump, you goof.