forum

Wacom Tablet question.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
kikoredog
Hello dear Osu! patrons. I have had a Wacom Bamboo tablet CTL-470 for about 2 years now. Love the thing and it has given me many hours of enjoyment here on Osu!.

My question is : Is it worth upgrading to the new "Wacom Intous Pen tablet CTL-480"? It seems wacom has discontinued the bamboo line and replaced it with these intous ones.

I was wondering if anyone has recently upgrade from a old bamboo 470 to a intous 480 and could shed some light if it has more responsiveness, easier to use, or if the pen is smaller/larger(diameter, don't like large pens). Really just want to know if the upgrade is worth it, because it is a completely different pen tablet from the old bamboo connect ones.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. ;)
Dexus
I have one on the way and will tell you when I get it this week. It should be here Wednesday.
Marcin
Wrong section... I guess... Moving to G&R
Dexus
Playing with the medium sized one (largest one you can get which is $200) I will say that I feel very comfortable. The surface is nice and flat and gives you a lot of room to move around. The pen has a great shape and is just the right weight to boot (it even has an eraser which is great since I also draw). The way it's designed it just feels all around more comfortable. A big positive is the drivers for the new tablets have the option to disable windows ink which fixes the Windows 7/8 issues. Overall it feels more responsive too, I'm hitting stuff I wasn't able to before with my old tablet (Bamboo splash).

I'd recommend selling that tablet to get some sort of profit back and purchase an Intuos Pen (no touch) for $79. Be warned that the small versions are smaller than the splash/capture. Seeing as everyone uses reduced tablet areas it wouldn't be an issue, but if you play full tablet it may be.

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Smal ... ds=CTL-480
Full Tablet

Dexus wrote:

Playing with the medium sized one (largest one you can get which is $200) I will say that I feel very comfortable. The surface is nice and flat and gives you a lot of room to move around. The pen has a great shape and is just the right weight to boot (it even has an eraser which is great since I also draw). The way it's designed it just feels all around more comfortable. A big positive is the drivers for the new tablets have the option to disable windows ink which fixes the Windows 7/8 issues. Overall it feels more responsive too, I'm hitting stuff I wasn't able to before with my old tablet (Bamboo splash).

I'd recommend selling that tablet to get some sort of profit back and purchase an Intuos Pen (no touch) for $79. Be warned that the small versions are smaller than the splash/capture. Seeing as everyone uses reduced tablet areas it wouldn't be an issue, but if you play full tablet it may be.

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Smal ... ds=CTL-480
The CTL-480 (new Intuos) actually has a slightly bigger active area (just by a few millimeters), it's just that the overall size is smaller.
Dexus
Well there you go. Still it'd be best to upgrade if you can sell your tablet.
Please

kikoredog wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has recently upgrade from a old bamboo 470 to a intous 480 and could shed some light if it has more responsiveness, easier to use, or if the pen is smaller/larger(diameter, don't like large pens). Really just want to know if the upgrade is worth it, because it is a completely different pen tablet from the old bamboo connect ones.
Me, I'd say it's way better than the old CTL-470, waaaaaaaaaay smoother and it has buttons! Also, this. you can FINALLY set different active areas for different programs. Other than Osu!, i draw as a part of my hobby, so it's actually great to get to use full active area to draw and my desired active area for osu without having to change the settings in properties :)
If you have some spare money then it's fine, just make sure that your old tablet would be properly recycled, so it won't harm the environment.

Here's a video that you should take into consideration as well, um, it's pretty interesting, take a look here:
TakuMii

B-52 wrote:

Here's a video that you should take into consideration as well, um, it's pretty interesting, take a look here:
/snip
I really don't see how an environmentalist propaganda video answers the OP's question...

YayMii wrote:

I really don't see how an environmentalist propaganda video answers the OP's question...
Actually the video is talking about economy, I'm suggesting that buying a new tablet while the old one is working with no problem might be an example for perceived obsolescence, like stated in the video from 13:53. So just think twice and make sure that it's needed would be a good idea.
Topic Starter
kikoredog
Thank you all for your replies! I have found it very helpful. I have a friend who is in college and he needs a tablet so i will be giving my current one to him and buying the new one, to put your mind at ease B52 haha.

kikoredog wrote:

Thank you all for your replies! I have found it very helpful. I have a friend who is in college and he needs a tablet so i will be giving my current one to him and buying the new one, to put your mind at ease B52 haha.
Good to hear, enjoy your new tablet~