forum

[Archived] osu no longer works on my either of my computers

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
shadowcarnage5
Problem Details:

Either osu --if I manually install the files it normally has in it into the osu! folder after using the installer, etc-- says that it can't start due to "incompatability with 64-bit versions of Windows" or if I don't manually put the files in, they all become corrupt upon downloading, and the zip files can't extract because there's nothing to extract. This happens on both my desktop and laptop, and both are fully capable of running osu. The desktop i ran osu on for months, and it was fine, then one update, it decided to stop working. Then the problem continued on my laptop when I attempted to install it on there. (One last detail is that this all happens while osume is doing its updating.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

Also I'm not sure how to attach screenshots to the post. :/

osu! version: 20130718
Niko-nyan
you must update your version
peppy
Run the updater, yep.
Topic Starter
shadowcarnage5
I've run the updater countless times. It doesn't help
peppy
No idea. Never heard of this before. Running a weird version of windows? Tried reinstalling .net?
Topic Starter
shadowcarnage5
I'm using windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. And yea I tried reinstalling .NET, but when I try to run the setup, it doesn't open.
peppy
Sounds like your PC is fucked.
TheVileOne
Are you trying to install in the 32 or 64 bit directory?
FrzR
My friend has a 64bit Windows 8 Laptop, runs osu! well. :3
peppy

TheVileOne wrote:

Are you trying to install in the 32 or 64 bit directory?
this makes no sense.
TheVileOne
Eh it's a guess whether osu! is running in the x86 directory or the x64 directory. It could be a problem with running 64 bit osu! Which directory does the OP have osu! installed is what I'm asking. I think my question made some degree of sense. If he is having issues with 64 bit applications, then he should try installing osu! in his 32 bit (x86) directory.
kingking9
By default, osu! installs in the (x86) directory, because it's not a native 64bit application. Changing which program files folder it's installed to will not affect osu! in any way.

However, since the setup for .NET doesn't open, it sounds like you have bigger issues. Try reinstalling windows.
Topic Starter
shadowcarnage5
Reinstalling windows. Easier said than done without a backup drive or recovery disk. Though I did consult a friend of mine who knows more about computer hardware than me, and his opinion is that my processor isn't optimized for windows 7, so that might be causing the problem, along with a few other problems on my computer. Hopefully once I get a new processor next month I will rejoin the osu community :D

Thanks for the suggestions anyways guys.
Major_Jin_Kisaragi
Shouldn't a 32bit be able to work with a 64 bit operating system?

peppy wrote:

Sounds like your PC is fucked.
I guess he was right... Haha just kidding.
- Marco -

Major_Jin_Kisaragi wrote:

Shouldn't a 32bit be able to work with a 64 bit operating system?
Yes but it's better if the program is 64 bit
Topic Starter
shadowcarnage5
one update on the problem to note:

if i turn off my internet, so osu can't detect an update and doesnt try to update, it runs fine, i just cant do anything online.

just thought maybe that information would be useful.
MillhioreF
Does it help if you delete osu!.exe before running the updater?