forum

Beatmap Song Packs

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
RadioShadow
Osu is a really good EBA/Ouendan PC simulator but you have to download the songs separately and it will involve time finding ones that you like and are good.

It would be cool if Osu was downloaded with some songs built in it but then copyright problems would come into it (although some songs like the 'Angry Video Game Nerd Theme http://osu.ppy.sh/index.php?p=song&s=66 may not be so hard to get permission to use).

If you played Guitar Hero 3, you will have noticed on the Xbox 360/PS3 version you can download song packs and this made me think "Why can't Osu have something like this?'.

It would be cool if Osu had a folder called something like 'Song Pack 1' where the user can download a 'Song Pack' which contains maybe about 5-10 beatmaps. The the user extracts the files into the folder where the Osu program is installed (not sure how you would prevent the user from modifying the song selecting in the pack unless they are stored in a diffrent way).

Just an idea that occurred to me and it would be sweet to have some official Osu songs for users to play on.
Starrodkirby86
The thread title gave me the idea of a Stepmania pack rather than something in Guitar Hero III or of that sort. And by Stepmania pack, we're talking about 20-70 songs here. :geek: Heck, I made one using my own time and got a 72 song pack on Stepmania running around. But, hark! This is Osu! we're speaking of.

These packs would be very nice, but since there is no multiplayer as of yet, it's feature isn't going to be similar to Stepmania Online. However, I love the idea of packs, since I'm too lazy to individually download every single one. So I second to this idea. :3
chan
Maybe you could tie this into the songs of the week thread, but I guess that would require Eyup to update a bit more frequently.
LuigiHann
I was thinking about this earlier... once storyboarding is implemented, songs could be packaged by storyline. :mrgreen:
Starrodkirby86

LuigiHann wrote:

I was thinking about this earlier... once storyboarding is implemented, songs could be packaged by storyline. :mrgreen:
And then we can make an unlock system! Beating this song would go to the next, just like in the Ouendan games. <3
EiJi
Weekly or monthly bittorrent packs are in the works, or more like we've talked about it... But when peppy gets back, we'll see what happens.
LuigiHann
I also like the idea of packaging some legal, permission-granted songs with Osu, if possible.
eyup
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
RadioShadow

LuigiHann wrote:

I also like the idea of packaging some legal, permission-granted songs with Osu, if possible.
It's finding good fan made songs that people will happily make beatmaps for. I just can't think of any off the top of my head.
Starrodkirby86

RadioShadow wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

It's finding good fan made songs that people will happily make beatmaps for. I just can't think of any off the top of my head.
Do you mean fan made songs such as ones on OverClocked Remix, or something else like...um, songs made by homemade applications or something like Fruity Loops? :P
awp
Basically, any song where you can contact the author and request permission.

If there's enough push for this idea to have it implemented I'll do my best to have Grass Stains given the official A-OK.
Topic Starter
RadioShadow

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

RadioShadow wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Do you mean fan made songs such as ones on OverClocked Remix, or something else like...um, songs made by homemade applications or something like Fruity Loops? :P
Like awp said, songs that the copyright owners will be happy to let us use on Osu free of charge and promise not to sue our asses. We may have to add a link back to their website where the song came from but it will be better than paying.

The example I was thinking of was the http://cinemassacre.com/AVGN/Nes_Nerd.html music theme. The guy basically reviews retro games and gets angry (dur) and swears a lot but in each of his videos he has his own theme 'The Angry Video Game Nerd' playing.

Anyway, a fan did a really cool remix for it, http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hle1MTf65nY&feature=related. I'm sure AVGN and the remix maker would happily let it be included in Osu (they could always say no but I'm sure they aren't that cruel). The only problem is there is swearing in the song but we could always beep the few swear words. :P

If we could include about 3-5 permission to use songs for free in Osu and people want to make beatmaps for them then that would be great. Just finding what songs could use is the difficult part.
chan
Or I guess we could always compose, write, arrange and produce our own songs.

Also, what about covers of songs? Like, if we performed a version of something, what kind of copyright/legal issues come with that avenue?
Green_Wolf_Dog
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
eyup

chan wrote:

Or I guess we could always compose, write, arrange and produce our own songs.
I've been interested in composing for a while - just haven't gotten around to it. I'd be interested in doing a joint project with someone(s) if they're interested, and I have a couple of very musically minded friends to help as well. I'd need someone to do the drum/beat track though.

chan wrote:

Also, what about covers of songs? Like, if we performed a version of something, what kind of copyright/legal issues come with that avenue?
I'm no intellectual property law expert, but I believe you will need permission from the original artist if you stand to benefit financially in any way from performing the cover. In fact, if the original artist doesn't want to let you, they can do that as well - even if you won't make any money.
chan

eyup wrote:

I've been interested in composing for a while - just haven't gotten around to it. I'd be interested in doing a joint project with someone(s) if they're interested, and I have a couple of very musically minded friends to help as well. I'd need someone to do the drum/beat track though.
I'm also pretty keen on doing some composing, but also have been putting it off.

What about covers of artists who are dead (like Jeff Buckley)? Although I guess Hallelujah was originally by Leonard Cohen. Still, there are some originals of his that could be covered! I suppose you'd have to contact their estate or something :(
awp
A friend of mine composes music and I lack that sort of talent but I have helped co-create some songs that I could beatmap lol
chan
Sounds good!

I've got some experience with arranging music, but no original compositions from me just yet. Might start something when things aren't as busy (like when uni starts lol)