forum

Suddenly failing all star/square/med range quick jumps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
GenoClysm
For some reason, i'm quickly plummeting into a situation where i always fail almost all of the notes in a star/square/triangle jump. I'm having extreme difficulty with star jumps and med range stuff, for some reason i'm always too late, too early, or i'm undershooting the note. I have absolutely no idea what to do about this, i captured videos of myself failing and while i can identify what's going wrong, I don't have any methods of fixing it/correcting it. I play with a tablet on Pen mode, so acceleration is not involved in this.

Please, someone help me. This is causing me to fail alot of easy beatmaps that i just should not be failing.
Full Tablet
Maybe just a bad day? Or tiredness?
Story
Maybe more practice with shapes is what you need. Or maybe its just a bad day but if it continues practice shapes more or play the same maps where you cant do the shape jumps over and over till you can do it.
RaneFire
Slow it down with HT, and practice snapping to the notes as fast as possible. You are possibly doing some flowy~ stuff rather than snapping to squares and stuff which makes them a lot easier.

If it's still giving you problems, go into test mode and practice those parts.

If you still can't do it. Take a break. I have reached this point myself too and I find just forgetting about it until another time is the most productive thing you can do. Otherwise you train the bad habit.
Soarezi
You have begun to read it wrong. (if you even read it right at the first place) this happens sometimes. Atleast for me, i learn something and the same time i lose something. It's weird
Wishy
It's a combination of:

1- Bad reading. You are not properly reading each circle but the pattern as a whole. Worst possible scenario is you are not able to read confusing patterns yet, which is quite likely looking at your play count. You just need to play more.

2- Nerves. This happened to me to, when playing a map for the first time I was able to hit patterns I could NOT hit on retries. That happens because you know they are coming and start getting nervous from there and lose some of your focus.

You need to be able to read each circle individually ignoring any kind of pattern you may imagine. Try to see everything as straight movements from circle 1 to circle two instead of seeing a whole square/triangle/star.
Almost

RaneFire wrote:

If you still can't do it. Take a break. I have reached this point myself too and I find just forgetting about it until another time is the most productive thing you can do. Otherwise you train the bad habit.
Training the bad habit brings about more irritation and frustration. Just play something else and come back to it later.
Topic Starter
GenoClysm

RaneFire wrote:

Slow it down with HT, and practice snapping to the notes as fast as possible. You are possibly doing some flowy~ stuff rather than snapping to squares and stuff which makes them a lot easier.

If it's still giving you problems, go into test mode and practice those parts.

Yeah it appears the flowing is the issue. I'll try snapping as quick as possible
winber1
Often times the more you think about the pattern that you don't want to mess up on, you have a higher chance of messing up. Honestly, whenever I get screwed over by specific patterns I just come back to it later. And even if you don't feel like you are getting better at them, when u play other random maps you do get better at certain shapes.

But yes, snapping is also a very important part of playing certain patterns correctly.
Koko Ban

winber1 wrote:

Often times the more you think about the pattern that you don't want to mess up on, you have a higher chance of messing up. Honestly, whenever I get screwed over by specific patterns I just come back to it later. And even if you don't feel like you are getting better at them, when u play other random maps you do get better at certain shapes.

But yes, snapping is also a very important part of playing certain patterns correctly.
i always tend to do better if i do hit-and-run plays than focusing on perfecting a map too much. this might also be the reason why people tend to do much better after taking a few days/break from playing rhythm games.
Kert
If nothing works try transparent followpoints
Thatgooey

GenoClysm wrote:

For some reason, i'm quickly plummeting into a situation where i always fail almost all of the notes in a star/square/triangle jump. I'm having extreme difficulty with star jumps and med range stuff, for some reason i'm always too late, too early, or i'm undershooting the note. I have absolutely no idea what to do about this, i captured videos of myself failing and while i can identify what's going wrong, I don't have any methods of fixing it/correcting it. I play with a tablet on Pen mode, so acceleration is not involved in this.

Please, someone help me. This is causing me to fail alot of easy beatmaps that i just should not be failing.
Watch replays of your fails and see what your cursor is doing and your key taps. If you fail the map, press F1 to view the replay. If I start missing shape patterns like this, it frustrates me as well. Often times I'll just let myself fail the map and F1 to see the replay. It's USUALLY an issue where I see my cursor move towards a circle, and then slow way down and change direction en route to the next note. It's not usually an aim miss that is causing it at this point for me. It can mean a few things to me, being that I am physically tired, mentally exhausted, or reading too quickly and letting my eyes get ahead of my hands. Usually it is the last thing, and is corrected by acknowledging the error in the replay. Sometimes, my brain is just exhausted from being at work all day, or my body is tired from playing too much or working. If it is that, I either play much simpler maps with viewers (I stream) or I just decide it is best to play another day. The main reason I have always streamed is to watch my own play and how it progresses and how to push past potential plateaus.

TL;DR Watch yourself play, you will learn a lot