forum

[resolved] [confirmed] Losing focus on osu! window causes mp to quit.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yuugo
Problem Details:
So currently whenever osu! loses focus when a play is in progress, the player gets kicked out of the room without warning.
I'd love to provide more details but it seems like a pretty self-explanatory problem.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
It's quite easy to reproduce. Simply start a multiplayer match and have the osu! window lose focus by either alt-tabbing or clicking whatever other window on your monitor.

osu! version: 20130910 (latest)

Edit2: This does not occur while the map is loading.
Tenyante
Confirming

ppy pls fix
Kysteria
This happens to me too
Karoar
Confirming that being alt-tabbed when a break ends in multiplayer forces you to quit.
Lemonsnya
Confirming that this happens. Changing windows anytime during a multi map forces you to quit back out to the multi lobby (not the game room). Also saw it happen to several others.
TakuMii
Confirming. This just happened to me :/
CrazyErrorMan
Confirming, this happed to me as well. D:
Nathanael

Lemonsnya wrote:

Confirming that this happens. Changing windows anytime during a multi map forces you to quit back out to the multi lobby (not the game room). Also saw it happen to several others.
Switching window tabs while playing at multiplayer shouldn't be done.

This might be intentional so nobody would go away from playing.

I can also confirm this but it might not be a crash.
osu! will force you to leave the room that might cause problems and there are some confidential things about it.
Topic Starter
Yuugo

Nathanael wrote:

Switching window tabs while playing at multiplayer shouldn't be done.

This might be intentional so nobody would go away from playing.
Can you explain why? I don't see any reason why this would be enforced with a kick from the room. There are countless reasons for the osu! window to lose focus and a forced penalty for this would be incredibly over the top solution to get a players attention to the game.

Nathanael wrote:

I can also confirm this but it might not be a crash.
osu! will force you to leave the room that might cause problems and there are some confidential things about it.
How exactly are you confirming this not being a crash? Is there some information you have that we don't? If you do then please do share so this topic can be marked as invalid.

You seem to be making a lot of odd claims about this. Then again so am I in a certain regard so whatever. In any case, this behaviour was not implemented, nor intended as far as we know, in previous builds and seems highly likely to be related to a change in the latest public release that pauses osu! when the window has lost focus when the game is in Playing state. Since you can't pause in a mp room, this causes conflicting behaviour that gets incorrectly handled as a kick from the room.
Nathanael

Yuugo wrote:

How exactly are you confirming this not being a crash? Is there some information you have that we don't? If you do then please do share so this topic can be marked as invalid.

You seem to be making a lot of odd claims about this. Then again so am I in a certain regard so whatever. In any case, this behaviour was not implemented, nor intended as far as we know, in previous builds and seems highly likely to be related to a change in the latest public release that pauses osu! when the window has lost focus when the game is in Playing state. Since you can't pause in a mp room, this causes conflicting behaviour that gets incorrectly handled as a kick from the room.
I'm not saying that this is invalid.
It might not be a crash so don't think about my words exactly and we have our own opinions about this.

In my opinion, this issue is about just suddenly kicking you out of the room so its possibly a bug and not a crash.
If it was a crash, then osu! should have closed itself and show pippi and the details.

It would better if you could just wait for a message of a staff and not bragging about the opinions of other people.
Marcin
I did nothing wrong

Let me test it...
//will edit post

Yup, while being outside of osu! window (not focused) when map goes into play state, causes osu! to quit from multi room (not crashing whole game) WITH prompt about hitting escape one more time (so that makes it unintended behavior)

Also this is rather not valid behavior - people might want to check something quickly, and they would be not fast enough to go back into game so they can still play (also it may happen for multi-screen users - like me).

[confirmed]
Topic Starter
Yuugo
Yeah, I guess 'crash' was a bad choice of words. Anyway, thanks for confirming the issue and improving the title.

Eagerly awaiting the fix! :D
Marcin
Looking at the front page, I guess it will take a longer time x_x

(also few of front page confirms were moved to LP, so it makes list even bigger...)
peppy
Fixed in next public.