forum

[Archived] Randomizing the dots

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
flipsflips87
hi i am new, is it possible to randomize the placement of the dots you click on a certain song? i want to play around with my reaction time rather than just practicing the same song until you know where things will be.

Also i think it would be neat to have an endless osu run that just loops through all your songs. haha then people could race to be the "person who played osu the longest without losing" in the guiness book of world records. im high right now
Lycanth_old

flipsflips87 wrote:

im high right now
/thread.

On a serious note though: Beatmaps are created by using the editor (the osu!-editor or other 3rd party beatmap editors), so if you write an algorithm that randomly puts notes(what you call dots), it is possible, yes. As far as I know, noone did that yet, though. And i doubt it would be appreciated much, since timing the beatmap to the song is rather important for playing a game related to rhythms.

flipsflips87 wrote:

rather than just practicing the same song

You can always download beatmaps that other people created on this website. (As a beginner you might want to have a look at maps from this useful beginners training - t/5456 ; if you don't want to search for beatmaps seperately, there are also beatmap pack listings [that help reduce the server traffic]- https://osu.ppy.sh/p/packlist)
Topic Starter
flipsflips87
ah thanks for the answers.

Lycanth wrote:

since timing the beatmap to the song is rather important for playing a game related to rhythms.
what i meant by this was randomizing just the dot placement and not affecting the way they hit the beat to the song, what are some thoughts on that?
Marcin
Dot placement is placed in a specific way, so your mouse moves smoothly from one point to another, that's the whole purpose of mapping. Map must be entertaining both visually, and be playable IN RHYTHM of music (so high pitch notes might get jumps (higher spacing), and low pitched notes might get anti-jumps (lower spacing))